Hagerty.com

Question of the Week: Why are you thankful for your classic?

We here at the Hagerty Forums are a community of people who love vehicles and the many ways in which they make our lives better and more enjoyable. Since those fond memories range far and wide, we are curious exactly what you are thankful for when it comes to the classic in your life.

Cars have so many aspects beyond transportation. The relationships they forge, the learning experiences they foster (whether you want them or not), or even the financial boost they provide in a time of need. Cars young and old fill a part of our lives and give us a reason to keep them around.

Tell us that reason in the comments below. We’ll pick some of the top themes to highlight in our Answer of the Week article next week.

I’m thankful for the freedom Hagerty insurance gives me to drive and enjoy my classic. I’m also most thankful for the attention the old girl gets and the many conversations that she starts.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!

4 Likes

About 3 years ago I was going through a very bad time with cancer. At the time my kids asked me what was my favorite car I ever owned. I replied the best car I ever owned was my Porsche 911. Drove it every day for 3 years and it was flawless. But I also said I bought a new Trumph TR6 in 1976, the last year they were produced and I thought that was my very favorite car. But I said the only color available was blue and I always wanted a British green one. A few weeks later on Father’s Day my son Peter presented me with a beautifully restored 1976 TR6, of course in British green.

3 Likes

When I was sixteen my dad and I went to an auction to try to find a first car for me. I found a 1967 Mustang convertible. When it came up for bidding, my dad made a couple of bids but when it went higher than I thought he would spend, I went to look for another car. I came back to him and told him I found another one and he said, “Let’s go see it. Nah, I got the convertible.” We did a total off-body restoration in 1996, and finished it right before he passed in 1997.

I drove my Mustang last night with my 12 year old son, top down, wind in our hair, and happy thoughts of my dad looking down on us.

2 Likes

My favorite car will forever be the “Black Pearl” 1978 Datsun 280Z I owned for 39 years. For its final six, it was a restomod, with extensive mechanical upgrades to make it go and handle better. The engine remained all-Nissan, but was nowhere near stock. Save for taking off all the badges, I left that classic body entirely alone.
I always wondered just how good an S30 Z could be, and now I know.
But it wasn’t the one car I wanted to own. That one is still a work in progress, and should be ready sometime next summer.

Most thankful that my wife has no idea how much is invested.

7 Likes

You have only to drive down a street in any town America. Black, white and gray SUVs. Not much else out there right now. The looks I get when driving my red/red ‘71 Corvette convertible are precious. I had a kid, clearly in mom’s white crossover, ask me if it was a Ferrari. I said, “yeah, a Ferrari Corvette Stingray.” He was serious. I fear for the future of America.

5 Likes

Agreed with being thankful for Haggerty. After driving with State Farm for decades, I changed. I finally bought an older car, a 2000 Jag XKR. That spurred me into changing over to Hagerty. I don’t mean to sound like a commercial for Hagerty, but my appreciation for insurance has gone to a whole new level (and I work in the insurance business!). Before Hagerty, car insurance was just a necessity, buying into s huge faceless corporate machine. But Hagerty has surrounded me with people who love cars, they show a passion that I share and I really do feel like I’m now a part of car- loving community. Honestly, I couldn’t be more thankful for this simple gift.

3 Likes

You are not alone! :+1:t2:

My classic, a '50 Chevrolet BelAir H/T is my first ever. I worked, while in high school with a guy who had a '53 model B/A and I wanted one like that so much. (that was in 1957). I love it, partly because it is totally original, which is rare these days. No seat belts, A/C, no power steering or brakes, just like it was way back when. I’m living my teen-age years in a big way.

I’m thankful for freedom and adventure provided by my classic Morgan. I’m thankful to participate in the friendly community of classic car owners.

2 Likes

Thankful to have achieved a lifelong dream by finally owning a Ferrari, and equally thankful to have a spouse that supported the decision!

2 Likes

My classic, a 1957 Cadillac, series 62 convertible, keeps me young at heart! I have owned my beauty 49 years , this month. And one thing I do that a great majority of other classic owners do not do is to drive and enjoy it, REGULARLY . I am now 78 but feel like a teenager again when I cruise down the coast highway here in Southern California. So, to all of you, besides that once-in-a-while, car gathering or only on Easter Sunday, our classics are meant to be shown off. Take that cover off, charge up the battery and go!
Dennis Shoenfelt

4 Likes

It makes me smile every time I get in it and drive. My mother had one the exact same color and on nice days she used to say; “put the newspaper’s in the back of the Jeepster and I’ll take you on your route”.
I’m continually stopped and asked about this car and it allows me to tell a fond story of my mother.

4 Likes

I am thank for my 70 SS396. I ordered it in 70 drove it every day for 20 years. Now it’s a time machine, every time I grab a shift I am 22 again.

1 Like

I’m glad I have my 1947 Fiat Topolino knowing that there are so few of them in the U.S. Of the shows I went to most people have never seen one before. It is very unique.

I am thankful for my 1979 Trans Am, this car brings be back to the 70’s which I loved with the songs and cars of that decade, also now show casing the “Bandit” with a RIP to Burt.!

1 Like

My wife and I were just speaking of this. We love our classic because we both love her looks; she’s beautiful. We see her every morning on our way out of the garage and again when we arrive home. We talk to her and lovingly touch her. She has opened up a new world of activities in cruising and car shows that has provided many new like minded friends. There is the driving. Our classic performs differently and is so much more engaging than our daily cars, which both drive with incredible sameness despite being from different manufacturers. We’ve taken her to a nearby industrial park on Sunday to open her four barrel and let her fly. Malaise era? Not her! She also gives us another reason to get up in the morning and be active. Our classic, our Sweet Pea, is a 1979 Camaro Z28.

1 Like

Our 1954 Chrysler Windsor is the same year we got married, and our first date was in my Dad’s Chrysler.

3 Likes