Hagerty.com

Redline Rebuild cracks open a 11,000-hp Top Fuel dragster engine

When Hagerty resident wrench Davin Reckow called Don Schumacher Racing with the idea of doing a Redline Rebuild for one of its Top Fuel engines, we weren’t sure what they answer would be. So when Schumacher invited us to work our magic on one of its beasts at company headquarters in Brownsburg, Indiana, Davin wasn’t about to hesitate while the offer was on the table. He packed up his tools and did his best Tony Schumacher impression by stomping the pedal down and blasting straight to Brownsburg.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/12/redline-rebuild-top-fuel-dragster-engine

Almost as quick outta the hole as a P100D !

JUST KIDDING !

wow my 600 hp sounds kinda lame! but do note the engine brand. long live MOPAR!

Always enjoyed working on race engines as opposed to run of the mill street motors. the race engines I worked on were always clean compared to the street mills and didn’t require an enormous amount of time cleaning - basically because they never ran as long as a street motor did to accumulate the crud that most street motors gathered.

Cool video! What’s the big secret that requires fuzzing-out the blower housing inlet?

Best build yet! You haven’t lived until you get two lungs full of nitromethane when they start these engines up at the race track.

Very nice…

The nitro fumes will definitely clear out the crowd for about 50 feet…

11000 HP, imagine how much it would have if it was a modern “Cammer engine”, instead of something out of the 1950’s. Someday day NASCAR and NHRA will progress into the modern age?

The only thing MOPAR on this engine is the logo! It’s a totally after-market unit.

In regards to the digitizing (fuzzing) of the blower intake in the video; that’s done to obscure the nature of the character of the opening as this is closely guarded by the engine tuner/designers. they don’t want he competition to discern how the opening is configured to gain an advantage over them. The shape and machine/polishing is critical to how air flows through that opening. I don’t know how or even if Extrude-honing is used in racing anymore, but these openings can and were polished by this technique where abrasive putty is forced through air passages to micro polish them and increase air flow efficiency. I also noticed that no air/or electric impact tools are used in the /reassembly. Also, did you notice that the assembly lube had not even been wiped clean from the assembled engine after dissembly? I also noticed the skinned knuckles of the engine tech who was miking the engine parts before reassembly. Dig those hefty con rods, too.

:slight_smile: Yes, but this engine has its roots DEFINIELY in the Mopar camp!

And if I recall correctly, at least up until a few years ago, most any stock Chrysler Hemi part would bolt right on to this block/cylinder head assembly! So it’s more “Mopar” than say “Chevrolet” or “Ford”.

I always used to laugh at the fans of Ford and Chevy funny cars when they’d knock my Mopars - - - I’d gently remind them that the Keith Black 426-Hemi-based engine was what won the race, not the Chevrolet stickers on the body!!!

I am always amazed at how few revolutions these engines turn during one pass. Under 900 if I recall correctly.

Surprised to see four bolt mains instead of 6.

They wouldn’t do it that way if it wasn’t the way to go. I have heard that overhead cam motors actually use more horsepower to run the valve train so maybe that’s why. And that’s why the Corvette has been a pusher all these years, with great success racing I might add.

Well, 8000 rpm by under 4 seconds plus staging time.

The old pushrod V-8 produces all the power they can use. The trick is to apply only the power that the track can handle for each moment of the 1,000 feet. As for the 11,000 horses, it only produces that amount for the last few tenths of a second, when the wings are pressing down with 3+ tons of force.
Now, explain how they produce 44 amps at 40,000 volts. Is that 1760 kilowatts? Where is the extension cord to the high line? The answer must have to do with its only producing that spark for a millisecond at a time, or ???