Hagerty.com

Redline Rebuild: Harley-Davidson Sportster Motorcylce Rebuild Time-lapse

Last summer we rebuilt the Ironhead V-twin engine from our Frankenstein 1957 Harley-Davidson XL Sportster as part of our Redline Rebuild time-lapse video series. Now, after a bunch more photos, a few more busted knuckles, and some late nights, we present you with our completed custom ’57 Sportster time-lapse build. She spit some fire and gave Davin’s right leg quite the workout from all of the kick starts, but she’s finally good to go and eagerly awaiting the spring thaw to stretch her legs on the open road.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/10/harley-davidson-sportster-redline-rebuild

Hi all, let us know if you have any questions about the build! We’ll try to include answers on our follow-up commentary video on this build. Hope you enjoyed the video!

And in case you wanted a before/after shot… here you go!

I have twice viewed the mechanical work on this motorcycle. Not once not even on the work areas did I see a Torque Wrench! How does that work? al

It’s easy when you have the right tools. :smile:

at approximately 1.22 in the video you see them using a torque wrench to torque the heads down!

Being hearing impaired, I had no audio, Utilizing a super slo-mo app, reading the lips of the talented rebuilders, I could discern the dreaded…"oh s#it ", …twice. Once at 1:48 and again at 3:27.

Comparing the shop background in the ‘before’ & ‘after’ photos was more remarkable than the Sportster, as the metamorphosis from usual & untidy to…well…Griot’s Garage® would deserve a sequel as a follow-up.

Is that bike for sale

@poppyt57 - At this time the Harley is not for sale, we plan to use it for select events this year and possibly a few more video projects.

I can personally assure you that a torque wrench was used when required.