Hagerty.com

Report: Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder are getting PDK automatics

In addition to spreading the naturally-aspirated flat-six love around its mid-engine models, Porsche will, by the end of 2020, reportedly offer its renowned PDK dual-clutch transmission in the top-of-their-lines 718 Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/02/11/porsche-718-cayman-gt4-boxster-spyder-pdk-automatics

This is an unfortunate but logical move for Porsche. What made the prior Spyder so cool was that it was a manual transmission only car, one intended for purists who enjoy driving and are not focused just on numbers. Before when you saw a Porsche Spyder it said something about the owner: Here was a person who truly enjoyed the traditional art of driving a sports car that required both hands and both feet in a truly immersive experience. However, Porsche’s bean counters realized most of its buyers use their car as a fashion accessory rather than a sports car so now it comes with an automatic gearbox.

No complaints from me about PDK in these amazing cars. I’ve been a di-hard manual driver since 1972, AND, I never imagined I would own any sports car with an automatic. However, after reluctantly taking a PDK Boxster for a test drive, I bought it. It’s been my daily, and cross country car for 2.5 years and 40K miles. The PDK is equal fun to a manual imho, just different. Also, my left knee thanks me, vs my manual cars when I get home.

@tristram_buckley - “Available with” is different than “only available with.” At this time there are no signs that the manual is going away, but merely that the PDK will be an option.

Also, just because a person chooses or is not able to drive a manual does not make them any less of a driving enthusiast.

As a matter of fact, this would change my perception of Porsche’s 4.0L mid-engine cars. I, too, thought it was special to have a manual-only car in the lineup. It does not disappoint me, as long as they keep their wonderful 6-speed manual. The 718 Cayman GT4 and 718 Spyder are cars that I truly can’t wait to drive. Someday.