Hagerty.com

Reviving a long-stored Porsche takes more than blowing off cobwebs

There has been a lot of attention lately on barn finds—or otherwise long-disused collector cars—and I’ll admit to being a fan of these sometimes-legendary discoveries. But can an average collector really take a car that’s been off the road for a while and make it usable again without running into a whole lot of trouble? I decided to put that question to the test with my latest project car, a 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera that I bought in April.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/11/30/reviving-barn-find-porsche-911

Been restoring my '89 G50 for a few years. Not all DIY but a lot of fun. Easy starter stuff that the kids can can also assist with – momo prototipo steering wheels have a nice vintage look and are an easy change. Getting a steve wong chip is really good too - no too expensive and really upgrades the engine response. Bilstein shocks are plug and play from the old Boge’s and really improve handling. One other fun though not essential thing I did was to get eh new but OEM Porsche classic radio - gives vintage look with modern bluetooth and nav and lets you decipher some of the electrical stuff which is fun.

Thanks, brentmd! I’m absolutely considering a chip upgrade, I’ve heard some great things about them over the years, and I’ll look into the shocks as well. Mine still has the original Reno radio, and I’m using a “classic” tape deck to AUX adapter to connect to an old iPod for tunes on big road trips so far.I love the look of that radio you described. I’m a loyal Royal Wazer, though- I’m not sure I could make the switch to another Nav system these days! Thanks for the reply, there will be lots more to come on this car for sure…

Love waze as well, got the Porsche classic oem replacement after the original blaupunkt bit the dust.

Other things to consider are an AC delete (i did as I never found the AC to be very effective/useful), and considering new sway bars (I just did that this year and its great, really levels out the corners). Jerry woods and TRG/tarrett make decent parts, though a pretty cool site is elephant racing, they have a whole interactive CAD suspension maker so you can really understand how the suspension fits and works. (https://www.elephantracing.com/911-suspension-navigator/)

Obv with these things you can fall down the rabbit hole. My goal is to make a street based go fast car that looks fairly normal with slight design and performance flourishes. To that end I also did a cat bypass with new exhaust from fabspeed which sounds the business but not obnoxious :slight_smile: . Next debate is possibly getting new torsion bars…

I purchased a 1965 911 in 1978. It was a low mile, one owner - beautiful, black on black! Drove it until about 1988 - made 2 Porsche parade trips! With 63,000 miles decided to put it up. I had stainless break job done on it. Replaced the oil with an oil designed for stored engines. Put the car up on jack stands and decreased tire pressure. On the inside, I placed several large packages of moisture absorbing material and snugly covered with a soft cotton cover and then a water proof nylon cover.

2016 - decided to bring her out of retirement - prices had soared and I was ready for some Sunday cruising fun. What I had put to bed was a beautiful, well running machine. What I awoke was a nightmare - engine was frozen, breaks were frozen, interior had mildew and mold - the list goes on…

I will never put up a vehicle again - nor would I purchase a barn find. I will drive, love and enjoy my vehicles.

I recently took my 1989 944 Turbo out of a 27 year semi hibernation . I had a near escape from law enforcement after a 150 mph incident. The car had 26,300 miles on the odometer.Sadly I’m a surgeon not a DIY mechanic. A local Porsche shop replaced timing belts, gaskets, converted the A/C , oil cooler, full service tune up and repainted all gravel chips and parking lot dings. Spent 10,000$ , sold it to an anesthesiologist, an absolute gentleman, from New York City for 40,500$ . Not a day goes by when I don’t regret selling the car. I know this is blasphemy to 911 purists but I felt the long hood and the coke bottle shape was one of the most beautiful cars Porsche ever made.