Hagerty.com

Saab 99 Turbo - I need one

Look at it! It’s glorious!
My dad likes Saabs, so I guess that’s why I like them. My first car was 1974 Saab Sonett III. I’ve wanted a 900 Turbo since I was in elementary school. But it wasn’t until Top Gear did a Saab tribute piece that I saw the 99 Turbo and now that’s at the top of my list. I recently discovered the Saab 99 Turbo Registry and am now spending way too much time looking for ones for sale.

Anybody out there have one? Owned one in the past? Tips on what to look for? I’ve never even seen one IRL.

Don’t bother telling my not buy one. I like them and want one and that’s all there is to it!

This 1982 Saab 900 turbo on Bring a Trailer with an 8V head and the Inca alloy wheels might be as close as you’ll get for a while.

Otherwise, I’ll keep a look out for 99 turbos. There is a nice original looking 99 sedan in beige here in Seattle, but I haven’t seen any 99 turbos. There are a couple nice 900 turbos though. None are for sale as far as I know.

Oh dang! That thing is awesome! Early 900’s are super cool. I would totally own this car. I just hope the prices stays affordable! The wheels are so awesome. I was just telling Davin yesterday how I wouldn’t buy a 99 unless it had those wheels!

Officially “watching” on BaT. Gonna keep a close eye on this one!

Giving this a bump now that there’s more folks on the forum. If anybody sees a 99 Turbo (with a manual trans) for sale, let me know!

Set of refurbished Inca alloys in the UK for $990 + $259 shipping

Also, they have a photo of a 99 turbo on Incas for reference

Hey Ben, a quick check of the SAAB 99 Turbo Registry revealed a couple in various states of repair, but this one doesn’t look bad if a little pricey.

http://www.saab99turbo.com/classifieds/for_sale_details.php?type=car&id=49

And this one on Hemmings…even pricier!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/saab/99/1796766.html

Those Swedish Motors guys are always crazy with their pricing. I’ve seen them list 900 turbo convertibles for $35k! While somebody on Craigslist or whatever is selling something very similar for $8k. I can’t imagine they actually sell many cars with their prices.

I owned a 900 Turbo that was originally purchased by John Oates of Hall and Oates. Fun car, but it was a bit soft, definitely more of a highway car than backroad carver…

Did you see this result for a '78 Saab 99 Turbo?
$17,250

Yeah! Stupid BaT inflating prices again! Curses!

Wow. those wheels are something else! Not sure if I love or hate them.

Those prices are getting impressive, definitely more than I expect to pay for old Swedish steel.

Must be at that point where all the poor architects that wanted them in the 80s are finally in a place to buy one!