Hagerty.com

Schumacher’s Ferrari F1 race car could sell for more than $4 million

Like Michelangelo with a paint brush, Michael Schumacher was a singular force behind the wheel of a Formula 1 race car. It makes perfect sense, then, that the Ferrari F2001 Schumacher drove to a masterful victory in the 2001 Monaco Grand Prix will be offered at Sotheby’s Contemporary Art Evening Auction on Nov. 16 in New York.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/09/29/schumacher-ferrari-f1-race-car

While writing this story, I was amazed (all over again) by Schumacher’s absolute F1 dominance from 2000-04. Wondering what other athletes you think dominated their sport over a five-year period the way Schumacher did? Tiger Woods? Michael Jordan?

The current reign of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as the top two players in professional soccer is ridiculous. One of the two has won the Ballon d’Or (FIFA player of the year) since 2008. 9 Straight years of one of them being considered the worlds best player. In a sport known for low scores they both average over a goal a game. When they are on the pitch (even knowing the other team is gunning for them) they still dominate and are unstoppable.

Racing wise: I immediately think of Jimmy Johnson/Chad Knaus duo in NASCAR with 5 consecutive championships from 2006-2010 followed by 2 more in 2013 and 2016.

Other sports: I think of the Montreal Canadiens dominance between 1953-1979 winning 16 championships over those 26 years. The NHL’s New York Islanders and Edmonton Oilers dominance in the 1980’s with the Islanders winning it 4 consecutive years from 1980-1983 and the Oilers with 4 of their own in 1984, 1985, 1987, and 1988. And the Detroit Red Wings dominance in the modern era between 1995-2009 going to the finals 6 times and winning 4 of them.