Hagerty.com

Scoop up these 8 cars before they take off

As much as we’d like to have the power to predict the future, we can’t. Before air-cooled 911s and E30 BMW M3s went berserk in value, there were signs, but nobody could have said for certain what was going to happen. Our best course of action, however, is to rely on data that indicates what’s most likely to occur down the road. Nobody likes the feeling of missing the boat.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/21/scoop-up-these-cars-before-they-take-off

I’m still really happy corvairs haven’t been bit by the collector bug.

Odd that the post-1967 Beetles are not taking off as well in value; they are (other than maybe the 1968) so much better in most ways. More power, better (safer) handling, and (to my eyes) better-looking, without those old-fashioned-looking multi-level bumpers of pre-1968.

Good list. But…VW golfs? Ok…

As for modern era Ferraris I once asked a guy who owned two of them what he thought. One was a 328, the other a 355. He loved them both. Bought each one new. I asked about maintenance costs. “Oh, hell, I’ve got no idea, I sold 'em both before the warranty ran out.”

Something to keep in mind before starting your collection. On a modern car, electronics tend to be a ticking time bomb as they age anyway. With a Ferrari the electronics aren’t so hot to begin with and you get expensive mechanical parts and laborious service procedures to boot. If you already decided to go broke it might be better to finance a new one and just make the payment each month. Let the warranty do the rest.

Clarkson just bought one, that’ll drive up the value😜

As I am no “Rockefeller” I will not begin to comment on Ferrari… I do have a comment regarding Oldsmobile and Mercury. Where are you finding these cars at prices suggested (that are not rust bucket, complete resto-jobs)? I search car adds religiously and not seen them at prices your author suggests. Perhaps, some links to examples for sale in these articles could enlighten (and help) those interested.

1 Like

I just bought a 308 last month because I don’t really care for the 328 styling as much. I did feel the 308 was a good candidate for a nice bump in value. I remember shopping for a Countach when they were under 100k, then jumped 200% overnight, it seemed.

The points that the repair costs can be problematic are valid, though.

All three Italians are winners, but I’ll put my money on the 328 for value and smiles per mile. Wish I could road test an ‘87-‘89 Carrera with a 328 for s…ts and giggles.

When I was in my twenties and struggling to make a living, I had a ‘70 Mercury Montego. It had at least 6” of play in the steering and mushy drum brakes. I always wondered what the NASCAR teams did to make the ‘68-‘70 Fairlane chassis handle at 180.

I little confused about the mention that you could have optioned a 429 SCJ in a 1970 Ford Falcon…largest displacement offered was a 2v 302 ci V8…unless we’re not talking about the NoAmerican Falcon?

I own a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S 2dr hardtop with the W29 and W25 442 options. I ordered this vehicle in December of 1971. I ordered it with a L34 Olds 350 Ci engine and then swapped in an Olds 455 and Turbo 400 trans from a 1971 442 convertible that I had purchased totaled for parts. My Olds had less than 3000 miles when I did the swap. I drove my 442 in this configuration for 30 years and 150,000 miles as a daily driver and preferred trip taker with zero issues. In 2010, shortly before my 2nd retirement, I did a frame off on my 442. The 455 was sent to Jasper Engines and into Jaspers Authentic Rebuild program. The 400 transmission was rebuilt by Aamco transmissions back in 1985 when I blew the 2nd gear downshifting at 97 mph. I purchased the lifetime warranty which was only $85 at that time. I built a body stand in my home shop, separated the body and frame and installed all new lines, bushings, mounts and fasteners. I also replaced the entire wiring harness from nose to tail, new upholstery, interior panels, etc. all of the work was done in my home shop. When the body and from and drive train were back together I had the Olds painted. Sad to say my choice of a body shop was flawed which resulted in a repaint in 2016. I originally paid $4900 for my 442. I spent 3 and a half times that restoring it. Now I get to enjoy it with the knowledge that the majority of the work was done by my own hands.
I didn’t do this for financial gain. I really don’t care if the value of a 1972 Cutlass is less than a same year Chevelle. My Olds is appraised at $40000. It is a mute point as it is not for sale. I enjoy this car and have done so for 47 years. It has brought my three children, all now with children of their own, home from their birth hospital, it transported my daughters to their weddings, my wife to work and back and on several occasions that strong 455 moved me out of harms way in timely fashion. This machine has been reliable, comfortable and a piece of home when I was far away from home. It has been a friend, an intergal part of the fabric of my life and a part of my family. What price do you put on that?

2 Likes

Now THAT is brand loyalty LOL! I know a few individuals that also love their Cutlasses(one hard and one drop-top). I see neither of them parting ways anytime soon either. Thinking the ‘pricing’ on these cars given in the article is substantially understated… At least here in South Florida

I don’t see any Japanese cars here, but I observe that values are climbing fast on older interesting examples of sporty models, like 240Zs and Miata NAs.

Know What Matters. You Sir certainly do.

I agree with flyntofDallas You can’t buy a nice base 72 Cutlass Convertible for $20,000. Let alone a 455 SX. I have a friend in North Carolina who just sold a nicely restored 455 SX . Selling price was $40,000 and it cost more than that to restore,

@raserx63 What year and model is that Alfa? Thank you.

So, what about the 1990-1998 BMW 8-series ? JUST BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT !

Everytime I see the ferrari cars, i am tempted. Then I remember the durability of italian workmanship, and I return to the arms of my beloved twin spark 3.4 1985 Targa and see that finding second gear with a cold start is not an exception, but the rule.

It is a 1986 GTV6 2.5 . This car , however , has a 3.0 engine out of a Milano Verde model. 30 extra horsepower does wonders for these cars. :grin:

It’s interesting that the first 3 cars on the list are foreign exotics. Is that the direction of the hobby?
I sure hope not.

At age 55 I have always loved cars and have a special interest in Porsches. From what I can tell, the market for both 964 coupes and 1974-77 911 coupes is hot. I’d be interested in what Millennials think of the Porsche market.

I too am tempted by “entry level” Ferraris. The service cost is what scares me away. Porsche/German car service is pricey but nothing compared to Ferrari. Yesterday I saw a 348 sell on BaT for $46K. It looked nice but was long overdue for a major service. So in this instance that 348 will cost its new owner about $60K out the door.

1 Like