Hagerty.com

Serious engine repairs

I’ve always used water in my all original '36 Ford, simply drain it each fall, no problem. Then I put in anti-freeze but problem is with these old cars lacking a pressure system they lose coolant over time, water had been added on one long trip, then I was in the hospital, more or less lost track of things. it froze hard enough to crack out two places in the sides of the V8 block, luckily only in the water jacket.
I had to remove the engine, take the heads off, then heated and bent the cast iron back into place, ground out to a good vee and clean. Used the torch again to pre-heat the weld areas, used pure nickel rod at 120 amps to weld it up solid again. Next is to insulate to insure very slow cooling. Later we ground everything smooth made sure the deck of the block was smooth and level in those welds, all looked very good and was assembled later, the engine is back in the car and all is well.
There are tricks to welding engine blocks but can be done, this engine is a good one, I wanted to save it and we did.

@centuryfarm92 - That is an impressive repair. Large repairs like that take some real patience, seems like you did it right. Hopefully it holds for many more miles of driving!

Yep, we use this car a lot, it’s just as Henry made it, 6 volts and can be driven anywhere and at about any speed you’d care to drive. Even has a radio, AM of course.
Anyway my repairs went well, no leaks no problems,
Thanks,
WarrenDSC02965

Thanks, it works perfect, nary a leak, you’d never know we had to fix the thing, I’ve done this sort of work for a long long time and any welder can do this, it’s more common sense than anything, plus the right rod and know-how as to pre-heat and such. Never know what you can do ''till you try … as the saying goes…
warren