Hagerty.com

Should you buy, sell, or hold these classic Mopars?

For a lot of folks, it’s Mopar or no car. They wouldn’t even leave a Ford in their driveway if you paid them to put it there. That said, not everybody thinks that way. Tastes change. So does demand and, as a result, so do prices. To see what’s what in the classic Mopar market, we scoured our valuation data to pick three classic Chrysler favorites to buy, sell or hold right now.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/06/buy-sell-hold-classic-mopars

Be aware that the only factory-built 440-powered '68-'70 Road Runners were the “6-barrel” cars in mid-69 & 70, and the Road Runner Superbird in either 4-bbl or 6-bbl.
It’s really hard to find a really nice, original or correctly restored '68-'70 Road Runner, even with a 383, and especially 4-speed cars.
The dozens I’ve seen for sale online are at the very least questionable, even when priced into the 40s…

Yes, there are very few correctly restored RR’s or any other 68-70 Bbodies or 70-71 Ebodies for that matter. Parts are expensive. For example, a real, operating six pack/six barrel idle solenoid for the center carb will set you back $400-1,000 dollars. NOS dual point distributor $1,000. And remember, unlike GM, Mopar date coded virtually everything including hoses and spark plug wires in addition to alternators, radiators, etc. Then there is the simple matter of scarcity, Compared to a Chevelle, the starting number of these cars was meager at best, and relatively few have survived. And those that did survive have been modified over the last 50 or so years.

I have an original sheet metal, original drive train AAR 'cuda that I have been bringing back to bone stock. It has been a labor of love in addition to expense, and much time spent on documenting what was done originally (and I’m referring to parts, manufacturing line marks notwithstanding). When I am asked to look at other AAR’s out there, 95% of them are missing parts or have incorrect parts installed. Has to be the same for RR’s and even worse for GTX’s.

Yup. Been around them since they were new (I’m 67); I think at last count I’ve owned over 20 Mopar A, B & E bodies, mostly Bs. Restored several of them, but many were unmolested originals. Nice to see the restoration parts we have nowadays, but the quality is often a bit short and the prices can be daunting, especially NOS. It’s definitely a labor of love over economic pragmatism! Enjoy your AAR!

More tail-chasing trend (technical) analysis from Hagerty …

What’s the logical economic basis? A trend arises, as one almost always will in any data, and then Hagerty encourages collectors to buy or sell into the trend, which serves to exacerbate the trend. Prices would better reflect value in these markets if Hagerty and others didn’t try to talk prices up/down but instead just let these markets work and reflect collectors’ underlying fundamentals based demand through prices.

2 Likes

So typical of Hagerty in that they don’t treat these cars as a hobby and our love of said cars and hobby. What was the main point of the article? It was buy, sell, and hold. Those are recommendations I expect from an investment house regarding what stocks to buy, sell, or hold in my portfolio. Cars are simply an investment tool, like stocks and bonds, to be sold or traded when a better investment comes along totally devoid of any emotion.

1 Like

@mmcd7276, The point of the article is that Hagerty doesn’t include the “emotional” factor when giving advice about moving trends in particular cars. This story is clearly for those that might own or are looking to own one of the vehicles mentioned. You go to a portfolio mgr.,broker, etc.,for market insight and recommendation, why not look at the Hagerty info in the same respect? My point being, that if one owns one of these, or many others mentioned in Hagerty buy/sell articles, (buy low, sell high)then the info comes without a broker fee and is great info, too boot.

If you have an old car you enjoy and it runs good and you ‘know’ it, it doesn’t really matter what the latest and greatest fad is.

Here’s a Mopar I’d love to have, ugly duckling styling and pro-street which is out of favor at the moment, but I’d love to own it (not mine). Heck even Granny fresh with a 318 and hubcaps I’d love to have one!

1965%20Barracuda

1 Like

The 318’s are great, plenty of power, good mileage, low insurance and they tend to have led less destructive and rough lives that the higher horse power models endured. In the demon example, $10k vs $30k, that’ $20k in your pocket for essentially the same machine with a different intake.

If I bought a car, or cars, as an “investment,” I might be interested in what this article has to offer. But I buy cars for one reason: I want them! I like a particular car, so, if I can, I buy it. I do not by a car, new or used, based on any calculation of what I can get for it when I sell it. That’s one of the reasons why I hate the term “Collector Car.”

I currently have two in my garage that simply have “no value,” except to me; I love them!

1 Like

I’m a Ford guy, always have been but I always liked the 72-93 Dodge Pick Ups. I always felt they had very clean styling and was disappointed with the 94 change. The Little Red Express of 78 was a coup for Dodge.

I tend to think of 2, 3, 6% moves as irrelevant. In fact if you love the car and didn’t break the bank buying it, even large price movements are irrelevant. I love Hagerty but to call a car a sell because prices are off a couple percent is… irrelevant!

I was thinking the same thing… 2 and 3% totally irrelavant when the cars in the sample group are no 2 alike on top of everything else!

Here is my little red express Ford lol and pretty quick to a 100 lol!!

I think I’d like a 340 4 spd Demon…looks like my 70-71 Cuda dream is out of reach…recently saw some guy drop $77K on a '70 383…wrong color wrong motor…I had a '70 Road Runner.383 4 spd air grabber…miss my mopar…

The logical economic basis is Hagerty needs to keep people interested in the market to sustain their business model. Forecasters of depreciable assets can talk all they want - the market is what really speaks.

Too many “collectors” nowadays are older guys trying to finance their retirement by selling cars they overvalue compared to what the market will bear. Dodge’s version of a Duster for $31k? How many more times can that realistically happen?

Why would people who hate market-based collector car articles here keep reading & ragging about them? Hagerty is just sharing information they already have from their normal insurance duties, under the banner of FWIW. The expression, “Lighten up, Francis” comes to mind :wink:

The “market” will tell in the long term, but in the near term, opinions like those of Hagerty move the market.

The point, Francis, is that Hagerty doesn’t know dingus about where the value of these cars are going in the future. And collectors should be warned of this rather than believe Hagerty’s nonsense. All Hagerty knows are past price trends, and such trends are of very limited value in terms of projecting future prices. If the price of a car has gone up/down in the last several months, does that necessarily mean it will continue? Maybe the prices have gone too high/low, and will subsequently reverse? This is the nature of pricing investments. And since Hagerty is clearly trying to price cars as “investments” then they should be aware that simple trend analysis is of very little value and offering it as some sort of informed view is a disservice to readers.

1 Like

Great info? Great for those who may be negotiating to buy a Road Runner – not so much so for the seller! The larger point is that Hagerty’s buy-sell-hold advice based on past trends will have the effect of perpetuating the initial trend even when it is relatively small and perhaps nothing more than an aberration.