Hagerty.com

Snag these 7 cars before prices jump

Most of the time, prices in the collector car market don’t make dramatic leaps or dips. Gradual changes are the norm. But when you’ve had your eye on a long-desired car, and then it suddenly ticks up in value, you just want kick yourself for not acting sooner.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/24/snag-these-7-cars-before-prices-jump

Karmann Ghia? No, a Corvair Corsa for the same money will blow it off the road, have the air cooled engine, more room and better looks. But I do think the little VW is cute.

@corvair2 - You and I are in agreement for sure. I always like the shape of Ghias, but the lack of power has prevented me from ever pulling the trigger and buying one.

Those Ghia’s boomed already as the article stated. FIAT 124 Spiders have gone through the roof, but still easily had for under Hagerty’s value. Used to get a good parts car free or a couple hundred bucks. Now people are asking stupid money, like $2k for non runners, while you can scoop up a good one under $5k.

C5 and C6 Z06’s are great value. I sold my 2001 C5 a few years back for $20K with 40,000 miles, perfect. Interiors are not so fine or durable so shop till you find an “unabused” example. But watch for bad window lifts, torn CV boots. Tires are big and pricy. Lighter weight than new Vettes, and both C5 and C6 look better!

Seems like the C6Z market has been hot based on the affordability.

Hagerty I would be interested in your analysis on the 2003-2004 Cobra’s. The prices seem to be rising and the limited production seems to help the cause. Although finding a concourse condition car will be tough

I own a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster and a 2006 Crossfire Coupe, both with less than 40k pampered miles on them, and both in showroom condition. I am the 2nd owner of both of these cars. I know that the Crossfire was originally a “concept car” in 2001, presented by Daimler-Chrysler and that it was so well received by the public that Daimler-Chrysler decided to put it into production for the 2004 model year with minor body style changes, i,e, they decided to not include the split windshield from the “concept” design. I also know that Crossfires are built with Mercedes components. What I do not understand is why the Crossfire is being overlooked and not recognized as a beautiful example of gorgeous style, Mercedes quality and durability, a true “one of a kind” and very lasting example of individual automotive architecture and remains ignored by the general classic car community.

Can’t believe anyone finds a Karman Ghia worth collecting. Gutless, prone to rust and plain hot and uncomfortable on a hot day.

Gumbieme, to answer your question, it’s because they’re Chrysler cars. In my 40 years of car interestes, MoPars are not given their due, even though their engineering has been above and beyond the “others”. My father said the same thing and I thought he was crazy. Not at all.

Corvair? Square-ish at best, drop a built vw or 912 and it’s game on

As a Ghia owner, I would just confirm that, because they are truly lovely to look at, they get lots of attention on the road. Plus, since you can’t move that fast in them, there are plenty of opportunities for conversations with passers-by!

I have a 64 Corvair Spyder convertible . It will take most any stock 64 car out of the starting block. The Ghia is a nice looking car , but cannot compare to the overall quality and performance of the Spyder or even a regular Corvair.

What about the 2003 Audi RS6? One year only, about 1000 for North America, one year only for the bi-turbo V8 (450hp). German muscle car. What’s not to like?Sticker was $80k new, now less than $20k!! (Full disclosure - I own one)
Waiting for Hagerty to invite her in.

Jeep is coming out with a pickup built on the Wrangler in 2019. There will be 4 and 2 door models with the 2 door coming out later in 2019. This is a rendering based on what’s been seen of what it should look like.

Not squarish if you look at the late model Corsa ‘65 - ‘66.

Yes better but still reminiscent of the 914

Of these 7 cars, there are only three maybe four who can be considered collector vehicles. The Karmann Ghia, the Ford Ranchero and the 55-59 GMC. The rest were built in such quantities that there is no way that they can be considered collector cars. How many of these Camaros have they built, 300,000, same with the Torino and the Corvette. Far too many were built to be collectibles in my opinion. There has to be some rarity to be a collectible car and some of these certainly do not fit in these.

You guys talking about the Ghia. It was made up to 1976 - ok? Now, what car replaced the Ghia? (I bought one in 1977)

Fewer than 28,000 Scramblers were produced over a 5-year period. So if rarity makes a vehicle collectible, the Scrambler is probably the most collectible of the 7 named in the article. By the way, I bought one new in 1982, sold it in 1996, and bought it back in 2016. The fellow to whom I sold it put fewer than 9000 miles on it in 20 years and stored it inside. It still looks virtually new…totally original, unmolested and unrestored. Recent photo:

The Karmann Ghia was produced up to 1974. The Schiroco( think this is mis-spelled) replaced it in 1975. I am a VW type 3 guy but I also love corvairs. Ski2some’s '64 is one of the nicest I’ve ever seen.