Hagerty.com

Speed Demon team readies twin-turbo big-block for Speed Week 2019

The Speed Demon racing team streamliner, with George Poteet behind the wheel, currently holds five Bonneville land speed records for Blown Fuel Streamliner, using twin-turbocharged small-block Chevy V-8s of varying displacement. For Speed Week 2019, for the first time ever, the team will employ a big-block Chevy V-8 with a goal to set a record in excess of 450 mph.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/26/speed-demon-team-readies-twin-turbo-big-block-for-speed-week-2019

Good luck to George setting some new records this summer on the Salt. I’m planning to get into the 130 MPH Club myself next summer after making some mods on my 1969 Shelby GT350.

The amazing part is that the land speed record is only about 110 mph faster than what a dragster can do in a quarter mile.

Speed Week runs are like a four-mile drag race, but they would kill for the kind of traction you see on a prepped dragstrip. Also, could a Top Fuel engine maintain that speed for a whole mile without melting down? All of the engines that run out on the salt aren’t making anywhere near the 11,000 horsepower of a dragsters that don’t even run water jackets.