Hagerty.com

tesla model 3 $35k arrives

At long last, Tesla is bring its promised $35,000 Model 3 to market.

The company announced Thursday that it will finally offer an affordable version of its entry-level EV with a sticker price of $35,000. Factor in the federal EV tax credit and you’re looking at $31,250, or $32,450 with destination. In some states buyers may benefit from additional state tax credits.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/28/tesla-model-3-$35k-arrives

I am not a huge fan of electric cars, not because I don’t like the idea of them, but because of price, range (lack there of), and lack of recharging station intrastructure/speed. The first issue really doesn’t surprise me, since everything these days tends to cost more than (I think) it should, but I wouldn’t want to pay as much or more for the inconvenience of finding a charging station and waiting for the car to recharge when the same money would buy a conventional powered or hybrid car, without those concerns. I am surprised that battery technology and charging station expansion has not grown more than it has in the past decade. But with the current state, I would not be interested in owning a fully electric automobile as a regular, everyday driver. In my mind, they remain a toy, or at the very least, a market exotic.

With the existing luxury brands coming out with their own electrics, the Tesla may become the latest version of the Edsel. I suppose the next year or two will either “make or break” them.

One factor of ownership people ignore is maintenance. There is pretty much none of the usual including oil changes, cam belt replacements, tuneups and such. I’ve cut over $5,000 a year out of my budget by giving up German luxury and buying used electric and plug in hybrid cars. For around town. a 2015 Leaf with about 30,000 miles in like new condition doe $8,000 is a no brainer. And it’s really nice, of course, to avoid the unpleasant experience end expense of gas stations.

Tesla solved the recharging problem with a nationwide network of superchargers which recharge at speeds up to 400 miles per hour (400 miles of range charged in one hour). The superchargers are located at strategic locations with access to restaurants and shopping. My car fully charges in the time it takes me to eat lunch, and you can literally drive cross-country and be within range of a supercharger at all times. The nav system automatically plots your course and directs the driver to superchargers as needed. You can view a map of the charging stations on the Tesla website here: https://www.tesla.com/supercharger?redirect=no

I regularly drive to a vacation home about 260 miles away - it seems obvious to me that prudence would dictate a recharge along the way - add in any cold or hot weather extremes and it would be a necessity. Gas fillup is 5 minutes. Recharge 20 minutes after I find the fast charging site that hopefully no one else is using. Guess I would need a second garage charger too. I don’t live in a large metro area. Electric car just doesn’t make sense for me as a primary driver especially considering the premium price. BTW most higher end new cars include 4 years of free maintenance and the price of the less expensive cars today compared to a tesla makes any required maintenance a bargain. Last time I checked Teslas still use shocks, struts, tires, and batteries just like gas cars and who knows what you’ll have with a 10 year old Tesla. Lets take off the rose colored glasses.

They idea that politics has gotten us to a point where my federal tax dollars subsidize the purchase of somebody’s car that pays no gas tax towards maintaining the roads it drives on, leaves me too cold to say anything positive. Hope they all burn up.

From what I have read, some of the electrical issues in Teslas and the the cost to repair them out of warrantee rival the cost of German luxury cars, i.e $1,000.00 outside door handles that fail to extend so you can enter your car. Nope, still gonna pass…

First of all, this is a fossill fuel powered car. 65% of our power comes from fossil fuels, 20% nuclear, 7.4% hydropower, 6.3% wind and, get this, 1.3% solar. The batteries in this car are full of enough toxic chemicals that just the thought will send a “tree hugger” into shock. The plastic materials may have some recycled stuff in it but it originates from oil. Our electric grid is no where near what it would take to produce and distribute enough power to charge these things up if everyone drove one. It is strictly marketing based on the climate change fantasy that somehow some guy running around in his gas guzzling SUV is destroying the planet. There is absolutely ZERO proof of that. If you want one of these, knock yourself. But don’t think that you are saving the planet and don’t think for a minute you are saving money. The tax man always gets his.

What heppens to all that if they go broke?

In reference to the above… Similar statements were made about Henry Ford regarding his “horseless carriage”. Tales of gloom and doom, the potential cost, repair and reliability…. The truth is electric vehicles are coming whether anyone likes it or not. The technology will develop and this is the future. My question is do I sell my 300sl now or later ?

1 Like

Well, we bought a Tesla Model S90D 2 years ago. I have taken it on trips. We drive it in heavy snow. We gave up a Fusion and a Miata, and are extremely pleased with the Tesla. The Tesla is a great driver’s car.

I had a conversation with a Corvette owner who showed me photos of his McLaren with flames coming out the exhaust. I told him those cars are OK if you aren’t in a hurry. He is getting a Tesla Model X.

Are electric cars the way of the future? Not if the oil industry has its way. Personally, I would much rather see a development of a clean burning fuel that is a direct, drop-in replacement for gasoline. My hope is that in 20 years my classic cars are not forced off the road by the lack of availability of gas and oil. The thought of having to switch them over to electric would be sad, and ruin the historical experience of enjoying them. Every engine has its own sound and feel that would be sorely missed. I am fine with alternative sources of powering cars, but if “all the eggs” are once again “placed in one basket” (switching from oil to electric), the rise in demand of electricity will just cause other problems.

As far as Tesla is concerned, I seriously doubt they will still be around in 5 years, save being purchased and folded into one of the existing major brands. History of the auuto industry has taught us well that if a small car maker comes up with a good idea, the big players will beat them at their own game. Tesla surely has owner loyalty, but so did Packard and Studebaker and they still exited the industry due to competition and economies of scale. If given a choice of which electric car I would choose for a luxury car that I must drive daily, I would choose an electric Lexus or Acura over a Tesla all day long, because of their reputation, yes, but also because I believe they will still be build cars in 5-10 years, even if the electrics prove to be a failure and get dropped in a few years, because they have the resources and an existing line of successful cars to fall back on should their electric models stumble in the market. Just like most consumers in 1961 picked a Ford Falcon or a Plymouth Valiant over a Studebaker Lark or a Rambler American. The fact that both of the later had more experience and were first in building small cars in the US just didn’t matter; consumers assumed then that the big three could make compacts better (quality, reliability, and value) than the small independent makers and overall they were correct.

The politicians will mandate electric cars AND they will raise energy taxes to the point where you will be forced to replace your gas and diesel cars. It doesn’t have to make sense - that’s what politicians do.

1 Like

The big sticker shock is to come when that battery pack needs replacing in 5 or so years. Based on Tesla’s pricing of battery options, the battery is nearly (over?) two-thirds (2/3) the cost of a Model 3. Ouch! Maybe this is a car to lease, not buy.

I’m not much into throwing money away. The only purpose I could use this vehicle for is a simple commuter. My adult children are 6’1” ( my shortest daughter) to 6’4”. They don’t fit in the back seat . I keep classics in my garage, the glass roof in desert conditions turns it into a oven ( I rented one) . By Road & Track / Car and Driver the value after 5 years the expected value is 41%, and a total loss as it reaches the 8 year mark ( end of battery life and warranty) . People who desire this car want the newest tech items so they are not interested in ones three year old . My transportation or commuter car I only spend $80 per month in fuel . To add a charger to the house and buy the car with taxes would amount to a $42,000 loss over a few years . I could buy or invest a lot of better financial events . Yes, I know it it’s fun to accelerate, but not fun to drive , but enjoyable to ride in . No up shifts or down shifts , the one time I took it on a windy mountain road the brakes overheated and caused it to limit power output. it’s Vanilla, it has no passion or personality. I would rather 1000’s of other cars