Hagerty.com

That Car's on Track?

Track days are great because you never know what you’ll come across. Sure, you’ll see a slew of WRX and FRS/BRZ drivers, those with Porsches, Corvettes, Camaros, a fleet of Miatas, and probably some Ferraris and Lotus’s. But what about the cars that make you go “Am I seeing this right?” I’m talking about the cars that were never made to go around a track at speed, and yet do so with tremendous mite. I was at the Gridlife Midwest Festival in South Haven, MI and I saw a couple cars that you don’t come across too often.

The first car that really caught my eye was this Tesla Model 3. Featuring lightweight Advan RGIII and sticky track tires, this is the first Model 3 I’ve come across with lowered suspension and other go fast bits. It was no slouch around the track either. I’m sure you’ve seen the videos of these cars purging the manhood from every Dodge Hellcat owner at the drag strip. They even had the track layout displayed on the in-car computer. I don’t know why exactly, but still cool.

This brings us to our second car. I’ll be honest, I don’t know what this is and I wish I did. I want one so bad. Just look at that little guy! This is a car you drive at full speed 100% of the time and it’s probably an absolute blast. Has plenty of potential for an engine swap to obtain full sleeper status. Paired with a nice set of RPF1’s this thing was super fun to watch all weekend.

Last but not least is this 04 Subaru Legacy Outback. I own an STI Hatchback so I’m probably a little bias, but I think this thing is super cool. A stripped back seat, bucket seats and harnesses, coilover suspension, and lightweight wheels make this wagon the most practical track car ever. You could sleep in the back if you had to! I wonder what engine it has… These did come with an H6 if I remember correctly. Might as well be a front-engine Porsche Panamera .

@kbrown - Looks like a Ford Festiva is the second car there. I always wanted one as a winter car, not sure why though…