Hagerty.com

The 10 hottest future collectibles of 2018

Nobody savors the analog joy of a vintage car more than us, but that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate modern machines as well. And among a sea of snooze-worthy crossovers there is a contingent of truly special new vehicles on the market that are poised to one day be considered collectible.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/11/hagerty-hot-list-of-future-collectibles-2018

Where is the Mustang and Shelby? I guess I am just to assume it belongs in this group because it goes without saying and is too obvious!

An Audi, but no Hellcat? Seems to me that even the regular RT cars with 318’s are valuable now. Why wouldn’t a Hellcat be collectible?

Apparently there is no love for the now discontinued Holden badged Impala SS, what a shame. A jeep will be more collectible?

Where is the GT350? It’s more desirable than the Camaro, especially the low production 2015’s.

My best guess for those confused why the GT350 and Hellcat aren’t included is because they’re old news at this point. The ZL1 1LE is the GT350R contender and the Demon just bumped the Hellcat off its horsepower pedistal. Wouldn’t make sense to mention cars we already knew for a few years are instant collectibles over emerging ones…

So these are to be the future collectibles 30-40 years from now? Hmm, some crystal ball there. What will cars look like at that time? Will these cars, heavy into electronic controls, be repairable when the electronics go? Already cars 10 years old have electrical gremlins appearing and they are primitive to today’s cars. Let’s wait and see how a 25 year old ECM fairs as a start and forget the entertainment/environment control center for the moment.

The problem with these cars as collectibles is that 5-10 years after their model year , if a computer part is needed, it simply will no longer be available and most of this stuff is not restorable. This has been the case now for over 20 years on most cars. We have 3 newer Vettes in our 17 car collection , a 91,95, and 03 and all of these have computer parts that we would be hard pressed to replace or repair, if needded. The same for my former driver, a pristine 2003 Lincoln Cartier Edition Town Car with all extras including a padded roof which has been driven about 5000 miles a year and has never seen snow or road salt, but I need a back up sensor which is no longer available for this car. I’ve become disenchanted with the improbability of finding it and future needs so am looking to sell it for under $10,000 because these cars will be too hard to find parts for, although hands down they look, drive, and handle better than the new Lincolns.

My idea of a collectible is one I can’t afford when new and has finally come down in price to the “every man” range, of course now with a lot of use. Sure, I have seen old cars with very low mileage, but they usually are expensive. These are hobby cars which are not meant to be driven on a daily basis. With so much plastic and electronic nannies and the advent of hybrids and purely electric vehicles, it will be interesting to see what happens to this hobby!

Holy arbitrary criteria Batman! Jeep Wrangler? How does “…with each generation the Jeep Wrangler gets a bit more polished and easier to live with…” comport with “…we look to identify vehicles that push boundaries and beg to be driven…” Pushing boundaries does not equate to a bit more polishing. And beg to be driven does not equate with “…gets…easier to live with.” What am I missing?

@mustang85 @69gt500 We had the GT350 in our 2016 Hot List. We try to compile the list from cars that are new this year, a Class of 2018, if you will.

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. After thinking about it, you are right, the GT350 is not part of the class of 2018, but the Mustang GT should be. With the new 10 speed automatic transmission (and many more subtle refinements), the Mustang is a very new car. I worked at a Ford-Lincoln dealership from 2009 until last year when I retired. The “Mustang crazy” sales manager in charge of new car orders would never order a GT with automatic because he is a purist and thought a sports car should have a manual transmission. Now that the 2018 automatic equipped Mustangs are faster than the manual cars, he orders most of the GTs now with the automatic transmission. To me, that is a big change and worthy of recognition. Best regards, Graham.

I can see the Porsche and the Demon, but not the others.

I guess collectible is in the eye of the beholder. Most of the vehicles listed can burn rubber like nobody’s business, but I tend to appreciate quirky, unique designs. For example, the other day I spotted a Fiat 500 hatchback in powder blue with the body colored powder blue retro wheels and dog dish hubcaps. It reminded me of the VW’s of my childhood. Not the best engineering and the Mini Cooper beat the crap out of it in the comparison tests in Car and Driver. But a charming design nonetheless. The point is, collectible can also be an object d’art and not just a rubber burner. However, I do love the new designs of the Mustang!