Hagerty.com

The 1965–70 Chevy Impala is riding a popularity rollercoaster

The 1965–70 Chevrolet Impala doesn’t look like a rollercoaster car, but when it comes to the Hagerty Vehicle Rating, it has been impersonating one for three years. At least its HVR has leveled out of late… near the bottom, unfortunately.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/11/1965-70-chevy-impala-popularity-rollercoaster

Valuations be damned, mine is priceless! I wouldn’t sell for anything near the valuations. How can you not love the classic lines of a slab sided convertible?

For a car that had over a million produced, I rarely ever see a '65 or even a convertible at car shows. It’s nice to be relatively rare at shows, at least in the North Carolina Piedmont area. (BTW, the FOR SALE sign by the hood is for the land in the background, NOT the car!)

1 Like

It’s hard to be critical of the 65 or 66 but the 67 -70 were more of a boat. Both of my Grandmothers had one

Wow, I’m surprised. I consider the 1965 Impala SS (in Evening Orchid with white interior) one of my top 5 all time favorite classic cars. Also consider the '68 and '69 Caprices with the hidden headlamp option to be extraordinarily appealing. My dad had a '68 Caprice coupe in dark blue with a white top – it was gorgeous!

Boat? Yes and No. I had a 70 Custom Coupe, and while it was a big car, the 71s were even bigger, and quite a bit heavier. My 350 with 300hp and 380tq, with 350 trans, and 12 bolt 2.56 posi would beat up on the 5.0s, IROCs, T/As, etc., and after changing to 3.55s and installing headers, I was beating GNs too. Not bad for Grandmas boat.

@jmacmurdoil - Just about anything in Evening Orchid is gorgeous. Personal opinion though.

I may be biased, but I think these were the best generation of Impala/Caprice, for all around use (performance, comfort, etc.)

‘65 Impala is the best looking full size Chevrolet ever built. Hands down. The ‘66 restyle didn’t help, neither did subsequent years.
Prices for anything Chevrolet have been stratospheric in Southern California for years, in part because of the low rider crowd.

2 Likes

Well………….I hate to keep bucking the trend but I own a numbers matching 1969 Impala SS Convertible with the L72 427 425 HP engine that seems to create lots of interest whenever I bring it to an event. I guess maybe others are correct since I am a grandpa.

I always considered Impala
the big boys muscle car

I can’t believe the article didn’t mention the 1967 Chevy Impala that has been starring in the television show Supernatural for the last fifteen years.

Hey!!! What about the '66 Caprice?? I had one with a 396 - 325 horse. Great car. Took it everywhere. Never left me sitting. decent mileage IF you kept your foot off the floor. Great ride too.

All I gotta say is…AHHHHHH YEAAAHHHHHH!!! Just like the great line out of Anchorman and the Black Panther cologne, 60% of the time, heads turn…every time!! I love my 65 Impala SS and a lot of people seem to agree when i take it out for a cruise.

1 Like

65-66 are at the top of the 65-70 heap. When at events, more old timers spend time remembering theirs and wishing they still had it. Interstate cruising at 70-80 almost puts you to sleep it’s so smooth.

Just got our '69 Caprice redone and finished. My dad had the car for over 22 years before we decided to rehab it (which took another 6), and only got it back home about 6 months ago (it was made the same year I was born). We love it and won’t let it go for anything.

How this reminds me of my Uncle Ralph’s '65 Chevy “retirement car” … they were moving from Chicago to Bradenton, FL and were going to need that new fangled “air conditioning”. Now, Uncle Ralphy always bought dark colored, bottom of the line with zero options … can we say “cheap”? But they - Aunt Ruth too - came up from Chicago to say good bye and show us the new Florida car [I was 16]. To my utter amazement it was a 1965 Chevrolet Impala four door HARDTOP!?! Even tho I was and still am a Ford guy it was a beautiful car! BUT … 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree, no PS or PB, no radio, no whitewalls … BUT … air and tinted glass and power seat!?! (Remember when you could pick and choose - no option"packages" - you got what you wanted!). Special ordered ('um, yaaaa!) from Nickey Chevrolet, Chicago … “With the backward K!” Now, I never drove it but did ride in it in MI, IL and FL … it was a dog, imagine that? … Ten years later it was sold (doubt it survives) and a '75 4 door Pontiac (?) replaced it, again followed ten years later by an '85 Caprice Classic. When Aunt Ruth passed my father took that car … like 8 years old with 30k, always maintained and garaged BUT every panel creased and rippled. All Aunt Ruth’s doing but mostly on the sides of the 1 car garage door opening. Anyway, that’s my family history on '65 Impala :slight_smile: JJ

Your posted 68 Chevy picture is not an SS. It’s an Impala.
had a 67 2 dr Biscayne
68 Chevy Caprice
69 Impala
70 Impala
I believe the extra large front seat was responsible for the growth of my family.

I picked up a 6 passenger Impala last year for a great price and truly enjoy working on it and the ride.

My mom had a '65 4 door, three seat wagon. 327 Powerglide that shifted out of first at 60 mph. I later figured out that the buses in Dallas all had PowerGlides. No wonder they drag raced with that transmission. It was white with a turqoise interior. I never saw another turquoise interior.

Dad bought it off the showroom at Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas. He had to because at the ripe old age of 13 I borrowed my mom’s 1959, no A/C, PB or PS 4 door Dodge Coronet Sedan. That was the first thing I did wrong. The second was to sideswipe a neighbor’s car.

She secretly thanked me almost daily for that. She never let on to my dad she was happy, because he damn sure wasn’t.

It was my privilege to drive it on dates. I finally got my '28 Dodge and things picked up quite a bit, but that is another story.

Here are my memories.

1. It chewed through shocks
  2. It violently bottomed out frequently on the front end, breaking engine mounts in the process. No springs.
  3. It erased its 14" thin stripe whitewall tires going down the road, literally. No sway bars. She was lucky to get 3,000 miles out of them. And I am serious.
  4. It used oil for no good reason. About a quart every 1,000 miles. That was “normal” according to the dealer.
  5. The A/C worked great if you were sitting in the front seat. It was non-existent in the rear-facing third seat.
  6. It constantly needed front end alignments
  7. The tailgate power window worked for about 6 months at a time before giving out, invariably in the down position.
  8. Brakes. How could I forget brakes? They were also replaced about every 5,000 miles. They would immediately fade out to nothing if going 45 mph or higher with the family in it. Mom, dad, brother, and three sisters plus luggage (that was in a luggage carrier strapped to the roof). Going 400 miles from Dallas to Hereford in August. How we survived that I do not know. 14" tires?
  9. I almost forgot batteries. About two years, then replace.

On a more positive note:

1. I will admit that it was a good looking car when clean, which I always washed before taking it on a date. I could drive a SS 396 today, no problem.
  2. Our local Humble dealer, Al McNutt, and his mechanic Shorty, were like family. Al and Shorty both finally retired comfortably.
  3. My dad finally bought mom a 1970 Ford LTD 390 wood grain wagon instead of declaring bankruptcy. Now that was a really nice car. It stayed together and could stop.

The picture posted is correct for a 68 Impala SS, Impala emblem with a supersport script underneath, if it was a big block 427 car it would have SS on the front of the fender SS427 and SS emblem in center of grille