Hagerty.com

The 1970–72 Chevy Monte Carlo is a muscle car bargain

A big V-8. Well-executed coke-bottle styling. Some NASCAR history. Those are just a few of the things that make the first-generation (1970–72) Chevrolet Monte Carlo cool, more than 40 years on. Monte Carlo is also a rather chic name, although this Chevy hardtop is probably more at home in Mobile than in Monaco. Nevertheless, Monte Carlos remain bargains that offer more muscle and style per dollar than many of their peers. For now, at least.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/04/1970-72-chevy-monte-carlo

Chevrolet had planned to offer a Monte Carlo convertible but there was a major upgrade planned for 1972 so the convertible model was scrapped…as it turned out the 1972 Monte Carlo was hastily dolled up to keep the production line going until the “new A body” could be introduced as a 1973 model…the very early Monte Carlo owner’s manuals have a section that demonstrates how to retract and raise the convertible top…rumor has it that the 1970 Chicago Shriners were loaned 6 early production convertibles for summer parades…there was only a pad behind the rear seat for celebrities to sit on…there was no convertible top…accordingly the 6 ragtops were to be given back to Chevrolet at the end of the parade season to be scrapped…a fellow I know quite well claims he spotted a 1970 Monte Carlo convertible in 1971 sitting at a gas station for service…it was yellow with a green interior and a white top…yes a convertible top…he obtained the owner’s name and address off the service order…and later visited the address to check out this “escapee” from the crusher…the fellow that answered the door denied that he owned a Monte Carlo convertible and would not open his garage to prove it…from the cowl back the Monte Carlo is not much different from a Chevelle…rear quarter panels are different and so is the roof line…the frame is stretched about 4 inches which matches the wheelbase of a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix…it’s too bad that Chevrolet never offered the public a Monte Carlo convertible as a SS454 ragtop would be extremely collectible today…there is an exact replica of a SS454 somewhere in Iowa…built from NOS parts using a Chevelle convertible body as the basic tub, a Grand Prix 4 speed frame that is boxed like a convertible should have and salvaged parts from a couple of real SS454 hardtops…along with NOS sheetmetal and various moldings including a SS instrument panel with tach…

Hemmings Classic magazine profiled a 1st gen. Monte Carlo convertible that someone made from a Chevelle. It was beautiful!

In 1977 I decided to put a Dyers blower in my 1970 Nova so I needed something to drive . It just so happen the brother of the friend who I bought the Nova off of had just bought a 1971 Monte Carlo almost the same dark green . Then he found a 1969 Corvette that he would rather have and wanted to sell the Monte so I bought it for $2300 . The Monte had 12,000 miles on it and was loaded with almost all options and yes it was a SS454 . Which didn’t mean much to me at the time I was 23 years old . I stored the car for harsh Chicago winters but when it was nice out it was my date car . I used it to go out to dinners , movies, bars and discos . In the the summer of 79 a friend and I too a month long trip to Califorina and the was just the start of the trips . I showed the car in the Chevy Vette fest and got a first place and silver spinner awards. I raced the all stock Monte in Chuck Green’s NMCA events of the late 80’s early 90’s . Now days I just turned 55,000 miles on the all original car and take it to local cruise nights and small showes .There are only a few of the SS Monte’s in the area so I am usually the only one there . What rearly blows people’s mind is when I hook the towbar on the Nova and hitch it to the Monte and bring both to the show .

These were beautiful cars - far better looking than the same years’ Chevelles, to my eyes. While I am not positive of this, I do not think that they were ever available with the Powerglide, though - only the TurboHydramatic (and the sticks, of course).

These year Monte Carlos are a real popular choice in the the Lowrider scene, google some images you will see what I mean!!

I’ve had several first gen Montes and I’ve just finished a body off restoration of my 1970 SS454. These are great cars and are gaining in popularity and value.

I own a 1970 base model. The original 2 bbl 350 was long gone when I bought it 20 years ago. My Monte is powered by a Ram Air 3 Pontiac 400 and a 400 transmission. Also upgraded to a 3.36 posi rearend from a 68 Chevelle. Interestingly, my Monte has no side mirrors. When the paint was stripped off during restoration, there were no factory holes at all for mounting. I left it without as the car looks cleaner without them.montiac

My 1970 has been off the frame. It has a 402 big block backed by a 4L80E and a 9 inch sitting on a Ride-Tech level 2 air ride complete with sway bars. Dakota Digital gauges and custom leather interior give the inside some flair. FITech fuel injection makes it easy to start and a little easier to keep gas in the tank. 4 wheel wilwood brakes make it stop.

@marjanderscheid - That is a good looking Monte! Nice work.

In Warroad, MN there is a collector with a place called The Shed. There is a 1970 Monte Carlo convertible on the floor. Real deal. Straight from GM. I saw it myself in Dec 2016 and my BS meter spiked but knowing the collector and the outstanding quality of the rest of the collection, I believe it is real. Go to the website. The collection there is unbelieveable: Yenkos,ZL-I, COPOS, 65 396 malibu SS, Aluminum Front 63 409, much more…

A friend of mine had a 70 Monte Carlo conv. for a long time. It was an aftermarket change, not sure who did it but the car used a Chevelle top. It was really well done, so they are out there.

I’ve had mine for 14 months over here in the UK and love it. Turns heads wherever it goes!

/

Continuing the discussion from The 1970–72 Chevy Monte Carlo is a muscle car bargain:

My 71 ss it’s been published in Napa parts calendar also GM parts counter booklet and Tabletop book Ultimate History Of American Cars. One of 1919 matching number ss made color Lime Green Metallic factory color with Jade green interior. Thanks for looking.

Sporting aftermarket rims, still own matching number factory rims pictured above picture. Thanks

2019-01-09T05:00:00Z[quote=“Hagerty, post:1, topic:14062, full:true”]

A big V-8. Well-executed coke-bottle styling. Some NASCAR history. Those are just a few of the things that make the first-generation (1970–72) Chevrolet Monte Carlo cool, more than 40 years on. Monte Carlo is also a rather chic name, although this Chevy hardtop is probably more at home in Mobile than in Monaco. Nevertheless, Monte Carlos remain bargains that offer more muscle and style per dollar than many of their peers. For now, at least.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/04/1970-72-chevy-monte-carlo [/quote]

Continuing the discussion from The 1970–72 Chevy Monte Carlo is a muscle car bargain:

This picture shows one year, SS only blacked out rear panel with rare upper trim and SS only rubber bumper strip. Thanks bob

It’s about time folks are catching onto how cool these cars are. I never could figure out why the public never caught onto these cars but I suspect that it has mostly to do with how Chevrolet marketed these cars to an older folks rather than the younger audience back in the day. None the less, it didn’t take the Nascar teams long to figure out that these cars made fantastic racers due to the location of the engine in relation to the front wheels. No other nameplate has more heritage in American stock car racing than the Monte Carlo. So the cool factor is definitely there. The lines on these cars are absolutely gorgeous. Somehow Chevy got the right mixture of manliness and elegance with the 1st gen Monte’s. Just a great looking, great driving car! I’ve loved mine for over 20 years now.

In 2017 at the Del Mar Good Guys show, a 70/72 Monte Carlo convertible was present in Nassau blue. We all know GM never produced a Monte convertible however this owner made a very convincing model utilizing Chevelle components. The top, front top bow and windshield pillars were exactly what you would have expected from the factory. The really cool part was, he had a factory owner’s manual for a Monte Carlo and in it where instructions on convertible top operation and care. According to this owner, the factory printed the books before killing the convertible model. All in all it was an exceptionally good looking car. I think the factory messed up by not producing a Monte Carlo convertible.