Hagerty.com

The 1973 Chrysler New Yorker was the final fuselage

The full-size Chrysler ‘Fuselage’ cars, so dubbed due to a body with convex sides reminiscent of the then freshly introduced Boeing 747, came to the end of their line with the 1973 model year. At the same time, the “Brougham” aesthetic, begun in approximately 1964–65 with the 1964 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham, 1965 Ford LTD, and 1965 Chevrolet Caprice, was in full swing. Even compact and subcompact domestic cars were getting into the act, with “Luxury Décor Group” packages on the Ford Maverick and Pinto.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/02/14/1973-chrysler-new-yorker-was-the-final-fuselage
1 Like

The large bumper guards are difficult to get over especially if you ever bump your knees on them. After many years coming upon one of these you take the whole car in perspective. I then forget the bumper guards and respect the car for what it is. The condition for me is number one concern. All other issues fall to the wayside.

1 Like

A buddy of mine had a 73 Newport back about 1980-81. That was the first time gasoline peaked over $1.00/gallon and that 400 was one thirsty sonofagun… He traded it off shortly after for a small block Chevy Malibu, which netted him slightly better mileage… Ah the rationalizing of youth…

This New Yorker is super sweet! Nice to see a survivor that has been cherished for all of this time. Nice find, Tom!

1 Like

My father bought a 73 Chrysler, actually factory ordered a fully optioned Newport Custom 2dr model. I remember watching him go over the order and pricing forms on our kitchen table. He chose the Newport Custom over the New Yorker because he didn’t want to get the more thirsty 440 V8 that came in the New Yorker, yet he could max out the options on the Newport Custom and create the same level of gadgetry as the NY had. I still remember how smooth and quiet it felt when he first drove it home.