Hagerty.com

The 2019 Chevy Blazer is a winner, but it’s not the SUV you remember

Larry Mihalko joined General Motors when the Chevy Blazer had a full frame, a V-8 engine, and just two doors. “This April it’ll be 40 years since I joined the company,” says Mihalko, the vehicle performance manager of the all-new 2019 Chevy Blazer. “I’ve worked on some fun projects,” he adds with a smile.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/04/2019-chevy-blazer-not-the-suv-you-remember

As a K5 Blazer fan, I’m quite saddened that GM isn’t trying to answer the Bronco with the new Blazer. The full-size blazer is probably the best truck I’ve owned. I think most of the controversy comes not form the fact that they slapped the Blazer name on something that isn’t a full size truck (GM has done it multiple times already) but the fact that we aren’t getting our own version of the Bronco. Let’s face it though, is there really THAT much demand for a two-door full size SUV? I think that enthusiasts talk a big talk, but when push comes to shove few will commit. I’d love to have one, but I can say with 100% certainty that I cannot afford a truck in the price range one would be in.