Hagerty.com

The $40,000 question: One Porsche or these 6 oddballs?

We’ve been thinking a lot lately about the concept of a ‘better’ way to collect automobiles. While we’re reticent to state any form of collecting is incorrect, the backbone of our love for cars is the experience they can provide, particularly behind the wheel. Because of that desire to drive, we’re curious if it wouldn’t be better to buy a whole stable of less expensive, yet still collectible, cars rather than one single more expensive driver. We did this once before with our $30,000 garage. This time around we’re asking if our theoretical $40,000 bank account be better depleted buying a decent 964-generation Porsche 911, or a stable full of five wildly different driving experiences? Stick around to hear our argument, and feel free to chime in with your thoughts and how you’d spend your imaginary money below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/09/40k-question-one-porsche-or-6-oddballs

I think the only think your collection is missing is a legit Classic American Musclecar. I wouldn’t trust myself on a bike and don’t see the need for the SUV so can we parlay those two into maybe a 71-74 Charger or a small block 72 442 or something like that?

How did a Corvair not make this list?!?! It’s the original flat six oddball.

I love seeing the 1996 Corvette LT4 get some respect it deserves. I owned one for two years, until I recently sold it. Mine had over 130k but was reliable enough to be a daily driver, and still got looks at cars and coffee and from other Corvette owners.

There is something else to consider on a limited budget. Most anyone can get a loan at a bank to buy an expensive car or collection of cars - which I consider “step 2”. I put first things first when moving to Florida. I had a custom 3 car garage built with an extra high ceiling. After installing two lifts, I filled it up with my (mostly) moderately valuable “classics” (1986 Trans Am, 1989 Turbo Trans Am, 1987 Buick Grand National, 1979 Corvette) and the daily driver (2003 Olds mini-van). Total value of those vehicles is probably only $50,000 on a quick sale. I turn my own wrenches and have more fun in that 3/5 car garage with my 4 affordable “classics” than if it was a normal/short garage loaded with three new $100,000 cars! All of my “car gang” friends with much more expensive cars want to buy my house (and garage) when they see it.

Note that in this part of Florida, most all the roads are basically “straight”. So my fleet doesn’t experience or need much “handling” like it would in the northeast.

I put a Doug Nash 5 speed in the 1979 Corvette some time around 1990. That’s the car I use when I want to shift gears. Moderately strong engine - 450 hp on the dyno. The 1986 Trans Am is not fast - all stock - originally purchased by my sister. But it’s a nice, quiet factory stock car that is very pleasant and economical for long distance driving. Florida is a BIG state. The 1989 Turbo Trans Am Indy Pace Car has quick steering and great brakes. I removed the original engine and put it in storage. Then I built and installed a much stronger engine with a larger turbo. Performance is equivalent to 2018 V8 Mustangs at the boost settings that I use. But much more is in there. The Grand National has a similarly modified engine. Nice, smooth “Buick Regal” ride and lots of passenger space - very different than the other cars.

Anyway, I have absolutely no desire to change the fleet to buy just one $50,000 or $60,000 car.

Variety is the spice of life -
I’ll take the 6 cars

My little collection of #3 drivers
1-1966 Pontiac Lemans, cherry and original except for
70 Ram Air Drivetrain 20K
2 -1976 Mercedes 450 SL same as above. 12K
3-1970 Datsun 240 Z cherry body 421 Pontiac
Drive train, pro quality. 5K
4 - 1975 Ford pickup 460hi po. Lifted 3K
I muscle car the Pontiac, cruise with the Mercedes, scare myself in the PonchoZ and work, ski, bike,camp in the Ford.
1 and 2 in garage, 3 under Costco tent 4 collects patina.
They all can drive anywhere with no excuses. I can fix and keep them all running by myself. I don’t even need a computer and they don’t cost an arm to maintain.
I wouldn’t trade for a Porsche and I have owned one and liked it. Would you?

I feel like im ripping people off when I see prices like this. I bought a 72 f100 for $350 last week and I currently own a 84 mini cooper I paid $1200 for and a 76 f100 im using as my daily driver for $1200.

This series is great. I tend to favor cheap unique cars over expensive icons—so a stable of 6 rides over 1 is my idea of a fantastic time. I suppose, if you can keep everything running! Which… ahem, I’m not so good at.

I was recently faced with a decision like this. Only it was an 89 C2 with a newly-rebuily 3.6 and 300 miles on it.
I chose to buy an older track-sorted Cayman S, upgrade my tow rig, and continue restoring the 99 M3, and buy a cheap toy to try.
The 964 is a cool car and will rise in value if bought well. It scratched my itch for a visceral driving experience, too. But ultimately the kid in me wanted more toys. Cool article! Here’s my stable and the 65 Corvair Corsa is unseen in the last bay.

Its the Cadillac of minivans

I’ll chime in,
1.) 2003 Chevy corvette z06 $20.5k
2.) 1991 Mercedes 350SD $3700
3). 2000 Toyota 4Runner $7,000
4.) 2003 Mercedes E320 4matic wagon $4,000
These are the prices I paid for this hooptie fleet over last few years. About $35k total. Yes sometimes they break but no car payments!