Hagerty.com

The 5 best and 5 worst car investments of 2017

The Golden Globes, Critics’ Choice Awards, SAG Awards, Grammys. It’s time for entertainment’s best and brightest to rub elbows, pat each other on the back, raise a glass, and celebrate the best that 2017 had to offer.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/05/best-and-worst-investments-of-2017

Not saying it’s a total “Revenge of the Nerds,” but you got to love when a MR2 and a Typhoon outpace a couple of 80’s jocks, by percentage.

I don’t get it. That series MR2 is crap compared to the later Spyder.

The 1st Gen MR2 Supercharged (1988-89) was one of the most highly lauded cars of its day. It was consistently cited for its excellent transmission/shifter, ergonomics, handling and quickness. I believe it was Car And Driver who tested it to be --get this-- the FASTEST CAR SOLD IN THE USA to 30MPH. (That included any other car sold in the US.)

I’m a Toyota fan and have had several MR2s. I prefer the Gen 1 car (even over my '95 Turbo) and I like the Spyder but… The Supercharged bests the Spyder in every measurable way.