Hagerty.com

The 5 best dashboards of the muscle car era

When it comes to American performance cars of the 1960s, we tend to focus on style and quarter-mile times. Considering that cars were made to be driven, it is somewhat curious that ergonomics took so long to catch on with designers. Is it any wonder the aftermarket was so successful with accessories like tachometers?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/16/best-dashboards-of-the-muscle-car-era

I always loved the 63 & 64 Chevys with the tach built into the dash.

I had a 64 Studebaker GT Hawk and it’s dash is very similar to the Avanti. What was unique, were the red lights on all instruments like aircraft.

No argument with those on the list, but I wish to nominate the second generation Firebird dashboard. Not just the instruments, but the placement of the other controls & vents - all were excellent. When I noticed that the HVAC panel in the Camaro was by the driver’s left knee (and barely visible), I bought a '78 Firebird instead.

As the proud owner of an all original 1969 Grand Prix, I agree with your choices! Only wish mine was like the one pictured and not adorned with a slush box!..

I don’t disagree about the LOOKS of the '63-'67 Corvette dashboard, but driveability is a different matter. I have a '64 convertible and those little reflections, which can be seen in your photo, make it nearly impossible to actually read the gauges with the top down. I usually end up just moving with the speed of traffic and forgetting about the speedometer. (Have loved the car for 29 years)

If you stay in that era, but don’t limit the discussion to muscle cars, the 64-67 big Austin-Healeys had a gorgeous two-piece burled walnut dash on either side of a tower that rose off the center console in front of the stick shift. Distributed among the three dash sections were every gage, climate and audio control you could possibly want or use (except A/C, of course). They even had a lockable glove box. And with 150 HP in that small a car, you could argue (probably unsuccessfully) that maybe it was muscle car. They did win some prestigious European rallies.

i’ve always thought that cudas and challengers with rallye dash were among the best clusters made.

I am the original owner of a 67 XR7 Cougar and it still feels great climbing inside and seeing the dashboard with all of its gauges and toggles. Great designing.

Good choices but the picture labeled “ 1963 Corvette “ is actually a 1964 Corvette dash cluster.

These all look nice, but the 77-78 Trans Am dash/consoles are very much so in the same category.

While the dashboard for the '69 Gran Prix was different the actual gauge set was identical to that available in the Tempesl/LeMans/GTO. In fact, because the basic interior sheet metal shell was shared between the A and G bodies, the entire '69-72 GP dash could be transplanted into a LeMans or GTO.

1958 edsel dash with the floating speedo is pretty cool.

The Avanti dashboard makes more sense when the steering wheel is upside up, this strange shot has the wheel upside down and the center cap rotated 180 degrees.

If you look at the Thunderbirds of the 60’s and particularly the 64 thru 66 they’re likewise impressive and just plain cool.

NOTHING can beat the look of a 1963 Riviera Dash. It looks as if it was inspired by the cockpit of a jet.

Undoubtedly the dash of the 63 to 67 Corvettes.