Hagerty.com

The $50,000 question: Mustang GT fastback or 5 different fun flavors?

There is no “best” way to collect cars. And while we’re reticent to state any form of collecting is wrong, the backbone for of our love for cars is the experience behind the wheel. Because of that desire to drive, we’re curious if it wouldn’t be better to buy a whole stable of less expensive, yet still collectible, cars rather than one single more expensive driver. We did this twice before with our $30,000 garage, and our $40,000 garage.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/25/50k-dollar-mustang-gt-fastback-or-50k-car-collection

I chose the latter path and bought a 1968 Mustang fastback earlier this year. No regrets as it does almost everything all those other vehicles mentioned do and it looks sexy doing it. Less money, time and garage space spent keeping up five cars vs one…and I’ve never once yet wished I was driving a '89 MR2 instead of my beautiful fastback.

While I like some of the cars on the list, I’m a true believer in quality over quantity. Also, more driving when you have a smaller fleet to maintain.

@lancelangdon The “less money and time argument” is a solid one, as I’m about to resurrect a car that’s been sitting for 10 years. With all the fluids in that one plus two other cars I’m about to buy 20 quarts of oil and gear lube.

So its about numbers, right? As mentioned above the maintenance numbers wise would be huge versus one 50k car.
Face it we all collect for recognition…hey look at that guys car!..There is a reason those 5 cars are lower priced.

I’ll keep my BB 67 Mustang.

One car. The one I have: A 1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Special Edition numbers matching survivor with a 4.9L N/A Pontiac V8 and 3 speed Torque Converter lockup transmission.

Acquisition cost $23K. I’ve already spent about $5K making it safe to drive. It’ll need to be repainted sometime - the previous owner was a little to zealous when he waxed and buffed the car. It needs new window felt, and weather stripping on both doors. I want to replace the 3 speed auto with a 4 speed OD auto, and add cruise control. I also want to replace the carb with fuel injection, which requires a new tank, pump, sender, and fuel lines. If possible, I want to put headers on it, with twin cats and exhaust (depends on what CA Air Resources Board permits). I want to replace the front seats with Recaros, and change the interior from gold to gold and black. That should pretty much eat up what’s left of the $50K.

The 1968 Mustang is far and away the better choice.

Boo on your list.
944 is crud. 911 is better choice
Mr2 boo. Miata x race car is better
Yeah mustang
Boo 1975 f100. Get a true classic and get a 1955 f-100
And Isuzu front wheel drive. Heheehh
A race bait 308 Ferrari would be nice,
A v12 jaguar vanden plas are nice
Vw thing or bus are unique
A 66-77 Ford bronco for me

I guess my situation is that with the cars I’m interested in, I can’t get 5 of them for that amount of money, then there is the added expense both in time and money to keep them all roadworthy and to carve out time to drive and enjoy them. I’d much rather go with one or two cars, tops. Which is actually what I’ve got now.

I recently bought a completely restored 1948 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet restomod in about #2 condition. It only has 4500 miles since athree year project that was done about 15 years ago, but looks brand new. It has an all chrome 502 crate engine and a complete chassis rebuild also all the modern goodies, but the body and chrome is 100% original. It can dust most newer cars.
My question is, since I paid $52,000 for it and with the modifications it’s not a true classic, is this a car I can expect to appreciate? Or should I just enjoy driving it and drawing a lot of attention?

True. Like every weekend you would be fixing something

Since I have two show quality older Corvettes, I would prefer to have one nice 68 Mustang Cobra-jet, or 67-68 Camaro SS-396 or possibly Z-28. Other possibilities would include Corvette C4 ZR-1 and possibly enough leftover for a 69 AMX. I would love a 426 Hemi car but that would “blow” the budget.

More cars = more insurance costs…good news for Hagerty. In the long run will the 5 “average” cars appreciate more than 1 classic? I’d stick with the 68 Mustang.

Isn’t that the truth? I don’t see anything on the 5 vehicle list worth my garage space.

@turbo1013 - Those are upgrades from our list, but the upgrades you made turn it into a larger investment than the $50k number. Might be able to snag two, maybe three of the cars you suggest for that number. Not a bad thing, just a little different than the article’s perspective.

@grog426 - Shhhhh… stay quite about those C4 ZR1’s until I can pick one up! They really are under appreciated.

Thinking emotionally I’d love to have the fleet, though the Mustang and 944 are the only cars on your list I’d jump at. However as someone currently trying to maintain a fleet of 7 vehicles I would go with the crowd here and pick 1 investment grade car rather than 5.
In my case, $50,000 would pick up an outstanding Aston Martin DB7 Vantage (coupe, 6-speed naturally)

I would opt for non of the above, I would go for a Plymouth or Chrysler Woodie. With prices on these finally coming down a bit with 50K I could get a good one with a little patina and have my dream surfer car. I would be happy to do it for real… now all I need is your 50K LOL

Five cars , but not those .

I would buy a '67 or '68 340 Cuda then bank the remaining $$ for upkeep, upgrading, and tires!