Hagerty.com

The $50,000 question: Mustang GT fastback or 5 different fun flavors?

I have very eclectic automotive tastes so I would take the 5. I would start with a 1972 Volvo 164E. Valued at $4900, it still featured the elongated grille with the dipped front bumper. Second would be a 1975 Triumph TR7 coupe in Inca Yellow with green tartan interior and aftermarket Webasto sunroof, value $5300. Next would be a 1968 Ford Falcon Futura four door in Highland Green with black interior and V8. Courted my wife in one of these, value $7900. Fourth would be a 1972 Toyota Crown coupe, funky early Japanese styling, value $12,000. With the last $19900 available to me, a 1986 Maserati Quattroporte III. Valued at $15,900 it brings Italian panache at a bargain price!

I know my selections are probably out to lunch by most standards, but this little fleet would keep me happy for the rest of my life!

Up front, I will admit to be 50 and having previously owned 6 classics from 23 T-Bucket to a 68 Chevelle SS. For me, I would own one classic and one modern. The classic for the nostalgia, old school feel, memories and being able to attend any show. Currently, I have a 1957 Chevy which is a blast, I drive it over 300 miles on road trips, a great car and a lot of fun but I am about 25K from being mostly finished. When mostly completed, it will never compare performance to modern mustang or challenger. The modern tech. is simply better for performance, track time, and longer mileage road trips.

I like the 1965/66 mustang and would buy one that is done up exactly like i want it with deluxe interior and new paint job and bad ass big motor. I would save the rest of the money for maintenance etc. 5 cars are too many to drive at once.

Well, this is something I actually didd but with different cars. When it was over, I had bought a '55 ragtop bug, a '65 Ford F-250, a 2000 BMW Z3 with 2300 miles and a 2006 MBZ SLK350. All of them had something I admired and for all them I had an abiding curiosity. I thought I could make good of the truck around the house and it was a good ride. However, I only drove maybe 700 miles in 4 years. So I sold a couple of weeks ago for $1200 more than I paid for it. My wife was afraid of it but I thought it was a pussycat to drive. The '55 Bug is my fourth car and Ill hold on to this car because it’s simply a riot to drive. I’ve seen a car make more out of going 65 mph than a a bug. It’s noisy, it jumps, it darts, it’s a perfect representation of the automobile the halfway point form the beginning until today. I get a blast out pulling the top back. The SLK350 turns out to be more of sports car to my liking than I ever realized. Compared to the Z3, it’s bigger, faster, more comfortable and more of car to take trips in. Plus, I don’t have to worry about nicks and scratches since the Z3 is essentially new. I was younger and smaller I think the Z3 would be my preference.
I do drive them much like a person would choose music. Somedays it’s ZZ Top or the Stones others its Ry Cooder or some good old Melre Haggard and still others its Vivaldi or Morzart. For my anesthesia moments, I drive a Prius. I love arriving somewhere and wonder how the heck that happened!

I have learned that car ownership is a journey. It takes time to develop likes and dislikes. If it ever comes to one car that does it all, I will do it. Otherwise, I’ll just continue with variety.

I have also tried this challenge in real life - somewhat by accident. I looked for the right 911 for months, budget $35k. After having no success, my Camaro buddy said I could get a great Corvette for a lot less. I found a spotless torch red 1998 Motor Trend car of the year with 26k miles, $16.9. Just after that, I stumbled onto my childhood favorite, 2000 SL500 with 19k miles, $17. So i got 2 show winning cars for the price i had budgeted for the Porsche. Then i decided after all my Mercedes, i had never owned a true luxury car… So i found a 2004 S600 (V12) with 500 hp and spectacular appointments, 39k miles. That was mid-teens with a warranty from the dealer. That’s 3 cars under $50k that covered all my bases.

Not conforming to the aforementioned $50K my fantasies are supported by my all time favorites, a 2005 SL500 and a Superformance Cobra. Just had to plug the SL body style as a true “Gentleman’s Express”

I guess if you choose the mustang at least it’s a fast back so you can fold the seat and leave the hatch up to do your truck duties.
Keeping the current classics 64 Galaxie gotten in my 16th birthday card being the 3rd owner of the only family it’s ever been in, and a beach buggy picked up this spring (I gave it to the 11yr old for his birthday)
Set aside 5k for buggy improvement
Early 60’s quad cab 3/4 ton truck $15000
Nice original survivor pre war, let’s say 38 Pontiac $8000
I’d go for the 944 as that’s what I could afford from Porches 15000
That leaves about $7000 to buy a European drop top for the wife MGB maybe.
If I opt for the divorce I would get the oldest boy an SLK230

One car, any one of the Studebaker Hawks would make my day, any day

I guess I look at it differently; cars come and cars go, so I’d spend half the money on shop upgrades and the rest to finance my next project. $25K for a bunch of"potential" & parts and a couple of thousand hours will get me a much better car than just money will buy, I’ll enjoy it more, and I’ll never have to worry about being surprised. After the new is worn off, sell it and build something completely different!

I would go for five. A ‘67 Stang Coupe (not fastback), sunflower yellow, white interior, no vinyl roof, 289 automatic like my wife had when we were first married - $15K. And I crave Corvairs - a Rampside, a Greenbrier, a Lakewood wagon and a second generation four door hardtop - $8K to $9K each. Of course, then I would need another $50K for the garage to house them all.

Not only is that a real spread of cars to begin with but 50K and just a 2 1/2 car garage???LOL…Top notch, pristine examples might be worth a look at but as they get even older where will that cost stop??? Our 89 Mustang has had a few problem this last season but nothing my local shop couldn’t handle…if you get into foreign car repairs on something 30 years old or better then the 50K wasn’t well spent… less is best for me…If your not happy with one car then its easy to get rid of so if your not happy with 5 then I hope your garage has five doors on it…

I used to be a car dealer and drove different cars each day, week or month. I like variety as evidenced by the current collection that I have. Several people have always asked me “why don’t you sell all of these and buy something like a Ferrari Enzo”? Well, that’s easy; I love my muscle cars and doubt if the upkeep expenses are as much on them as they would be on an Enzo ($30,000 for a brake job every 1,000 miles, for example, if you drive it like it was intended) thanks in part to Hagerty offering such reasonable coverage on the collection! Plus, I feel much more comfortable driving around my small town that I’ve lived in for 50 years in my 1967 442 than I would in the aforementioned Italian Stallion! Also, since my collection is part of my “401K”, if I needed some additional funding in my retirement, I could sell off one or two at the time rather than having to ditch the one car.

There’s not a single thing on that list that’s even appealing to me. In my estimation those are all to common or just not all that desirable a vehicles to start with. Many were junk when new as in the case of the Fox bodies , and we ALL KNOW about Lucas equipped, Anything , LOL!
IMHO, just because there older now doesn’t necessarily make anything on that list any better or more desirable. Most everything there has inherent negative issues or traits

I’m already in that 50K range with my 3 choices which are a 83 lowered C-10 pro-stock race truck, just for FUN.
A 71 Boat Tail 455 Rivi for cruising the shows.
Last but not least a 72 Ghia coupe just because there neat and something different. But then all of my cars are a bit unique in there own rights. After having most everything under the sun during my life (I’ve had classic cars sense 1967) I much prefer unique cars now and shy away from the common types.

I’ve had 5 at one time in the past and believe me it’s just to much upkeep, time and expense to be practical. But my 3 isn’t really that bad to manage. As long as there well kept up from the start, then there not all that hard to keep up with. Mine are all multiple trophy winners and really nice so it’s just a matter of keeping everything detailed and I’ve chosen easy to maintain vehicles I drive frequently.

But then I have a huge garage and am a retired mechanic and body man, so for me space and time and maintenance are no real issue.

Mine all have there purposes. They either fill my need for speed,need for a comfy cruiser car and my need for the unusual and all do well at shows. I have a good well rounded selection I think

Since I have zero interest in Mustangs of any year (or 57 Chevys, or anything else that common) I would never consider buying one. I can see all the common cars I want at every cruise.
If my magic fairy made a spare 50k appear I would have to be practical: first get a place to store any new purchase, then finish restoration on the two cars I already have. With whatever money was then left I’d look around for something nobody else had. Canadian Meteor, Australian Ute, soon to be an orphan Tesla, even a Pontiac Aztek, come to mind. But I would not go looking for a collector car by year and model. I would look at what was offered and select the vehicle I liked best comparing its actual condition to other candidates. The winner(s) would be cars I could drive and enjoy, not future money pits.

These kind of questions always remind me of the auto auctions on TV (Mecum etc.). 1957 Chev Bel Aire goes for $86,000. 2008 low mileage Bentley Mulsanne $31,000.
I’m not a Bentley fan but I sure know how I would waste the $50,000. No poorly engineered muscle cars, Italian cars (some exceptions of course but not in this price range) fiberglas British stuff or any car that started out cheap because it will always disappoint. My brother once had an Isuzu Trooper that rolled over while sitting in the driveway with no occupants. I suppose I could get one of those with the balance.

While a number of these vehicles are interesting, I do not have enough room for a car right now. If I had $50k to spend on a toy, I would buy another motorcycle. A late 1930’s Indian Four would round out my collection rather nicely, and I can always find room for another bike!

I tend to want a collection rather than just one. But the biggest problem I have is where to keep them all.

ive been around cars for a long time, but I truly believe the 1968 mustang fastback bullit would be the one I would invest in. thank you.

I have 5 vehicles already and am at full capacity in my 3 car garage. Nothing particularly valuable - probably all added up only worth $50,000. One critical vehicle is my “GM Race Support” vehicle (otherwise known as a 2003 Oldsmobile Silhouette mini-van). When called on for support, it hauls parts back and forth to the machine shop. :grin: Anyway, I enjoy my little inexpensive fleet and my “5” car garage with 2 car lifts much more than I would with 3 exotics parked in a normal height garage without car lifts.

First, assuming that I already have a daily driver, I would buy a single classic rather than 5 run of the mill cars, but a 68 Mustang would not be it! Back in the day, I bought a 69 Camaro with a 250-6 and a th350 then picked up a 454 from a 76 c20 and built a 427 added a Muncie 4sd and a 12 bolt posi, upgraded the suspension, brake, fuel and cooling systems and then put almost a 100,000 miles on it over the next 10 years. I am do something similar but with a 71 Camaro right now and it should come in near the 50k mark you mentioned.