Hagerty.com

The $50,000 question: Mustang GT fastback or 5 different fun flavors?

THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON ANY FORUM: While I do understand and somewhat agree with the concept of 1 car 1 expense, with more time, more cars more expenses with less time. My favorite and most desired classic car is the first gen Camaro. But with the expensive price, I have not been able to purchase one. However, after twenty years of wanting the Camaro, I was recently able to afford and purchase something -an 85’ Mustang GT. I have no regrets, and I do not feel like I was settling. I look to purchase a G-Body within the next two years-hopefully. I would prefer to get more less expensive cars then 1 more expensive(but none of the ones listed, other then the Mustang -of course) because I am a die hard classic car guy, I like variety and I am not a “one and done” guy. Furthermore, it would take me too long to get that 1 expensive car, as opposed to several less expensive cars that I like.
To robert_crow, I love your collection. I am a big huge fan of the 80s, and a bigger fan of the 80s cars. But I am unable to determine the make/model of the yellow car in the pic

Fox Body has moved into “Collectable”
Will not loose money on a Mustang

That would be a corvette, somewhere between 75 and 79.

Like many here I am passionate about my special toy. I prefer the single toy route with an 86 Mustang Convertible restomod. It cost me $8000 in '92 and I have spent at least half of the $50,000 upgrading and maintaining it so that it is a delight to drive every day when the sun is out. Hardly an outing goes by where I don’t hit the steering wheel and say “Damm I love this car”.
Despite the performance upgrades on the motor, suspension, and exhaust etc, my wife pushes me for regular outings in “our Mustang”. She is often quicker than me in responding to an admiring wave or complement about the car.
We enjoy, know, and trust the car so well that we have driven it through every US state, Canadian province and territory, except for Nunavut and Hawaii, putting on a total of about 475,000 Km on the odometer. That took up the rest of the $50,000 and more.
The one shortcoming: We have three grandsons and they each think it will be their car one day.

Why five cars? Right now I have four ‘toy’ cars as I refer to them and they do take a lot of time, some I’m thinking of thinning the herd. Also time spent fixing is time spent not driving.

So why not look at two versus one; one a beast/gutsy/incredibly handling car or any combination of those characteristics and the second a car that’s a delight to just drive, whether it’s a convertible or a true GT car that is makes you smile as you travel.

And if it’s got to be one car, I believe John has it exactly right in terms of the kind (motoring style, not necessarily marque) of car he chose. Two people smiling is far better than twice one person smiling and “let’s go for a ride.” or “When’s our next trip?” are wonderful to hear.

Thank you srseward for your comments on my choice.

I would like to add that my choice has brought out many more smiles than just that of my wife and I. Selecting a marque that many people are familiar with has turned out to be a wonderful choice. We receive so many smiles and raised thumbs from people that I would bet are taken back to somewhere quite wonderful in their past when they see us.

Re two cars vs one, that is exactly what I wanted also. DECH Motorsport and DaSilva Racing helped me build a great Dr Jeckel GT car for traveling with my wife, and a moderate brute of a Mr Hyde performance car when I am alone. It goes, turns, and stops on the street or track as well as any of my friends cars.

By far the best $50,000 that I have ever spent.

You don’t need the five cars. 1968 Mustang or Lotus Elan M100? Elan for sure. That car is so far superior and faster going from A to B, if there are virtually any curves between A and B.

1966 Mustang might be a more difficult choice.

You’re welcome. Very interesting, a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

My thinning is made difficult because my wife refuses to learn to drive manual transmission cars, so I just bought her a convertible toy, a 92 SAAB 900 with automatic.

I have a turbo five speed 900 convertible which is much more fun to drive, a 67 Volvo 1800 which I’ll probably never sell and a TR6 which I got to resell, but am having trouble parting with. And I just saw another car I’ve always wanted, a Studebaker Hawk. But I have to curb my car lust and figure out a two or three for one replacement candidate. Any ideas?

Decisions! Decisions! It is so tough some times to come up with the right answer.

I have often had the opportunity to discuss “toys” with other people at car shows etc. and I have always advised the same thing. Before you get out your wallet or For Sale ads, figure out exactly how you intend to use your purchase. There are so many options and it is so easy to make the wrong choice. Driving? Restoring? Modding? Racing? Showing? Investing? The answer will be different for everyone over time.

I would never try to answer the question for anyone. I would only advocate for spending as much time as possible in figuring out what is right for you and your family.

I have the 68 fast back mustang and a bunch of other cars to go with it.
1966 mustang coupe
1964 Mini Cooper with matching trailer
2014 Roush Mustang Aluminator 2750 miles
1970 Morris Minor Woody wagon- being restored
1975 Mini Cooper - being shortened to 8 1/2 feeet
2010 Camaro 9800 miles
Plus my drivers.
I guess my wife don’t know about all of them yet, I’m still married.
But i would go for the 68 Fast back if i had to choose 1 or 5

The bottom line is what works for everyone is different, just as the selection of any classic. I have two, an '84 SVO which is the most fun vehicle to drive I have owned & a '77 F100. It also gets lots of thumbs up & earns its keep. My investment is under $20k but that also fits my budget. Garage space is also an issue for me. Both mine have zero rust & I would like to keep it that way so I don’t have room for another.

I would go with the first year Yugo, and a “74” AMC Pacer. Maybe a Mercury Monark or a Dodge Aspen !

As a judge at car show this past Sunday (thank you Hagerty for your booth) I couldn’t get over what was missing. Not cars so much as we had many makes and models, but young adults. A few people brought their very young kids, but I did not see hardly anyone between 18-45. Does anyone wonder how popular (and valuablw) a '68 Stang will be in 10-20 years when the high majority of the people in attendance will be gone? The majority of young people unfortunately don’t seem to care about classics as much as I/we do. What will that mean to values going forward when supply begins to catch up with a decreasing demand? Many old teens nowadays don’t even want a car or if so, want a buzzing 4 cheap banger or electric. My worries did not fall on deaf ears when I spoke others of the lack of not passing down what most fathers did to us about cars and their preservation. Do so now to your youngsters or we all may be sorry one day.

As for the 5 or 1 car, I think of cars sort of like houses and “moving up”. I started with a '72 Pinto, an underrated car from what I found. Then I bought a '68 Mustang FB GT which I wish I still had. Then came an '86 Jetta TD, another under-rated car. Then an '86 MBZ 300E. Not too long ago I decided to buy an old '84 944 non-turbo w/50k mikes for $5k. Best money ever spent (worth double easily now) and a car that could probably run circles (not straight line) around my '68. But as I said, I like to “move up”. So with plenty of research and the love of Porsche’s, I bought a '12 Boxster Spyder for just over $50k. Now, I would rather have it than any of those 5 other vehicles. It’s very rare, has 320hp in a mid-engine, <2800lb. pkg. and is so unbelievably fun to drive let alone how it draws “flies” of on-lookers, I will never let it out of my hands. My point here is that auto engineering has improved so drastically, how could I want to drive a squeaky, '68 FB to anything other than a show to display it? My thoughts and probably not yours, cars are individual not agreed on by the masses.

I don’t know where you live or what car show you attended, but here in the Sacramento area the car shows are full of kids and young adults of all ages! I went to a show in Placerville CA a couple of months ago and at least half the attendies were under 30. As for older cars not driving as well as newer cars, that is why the car gods invented restomods! I’ll take my 71 Camaro over your Boxster Spyder any day and in 10 years it will still be cool and classic while yours will be just a used car.

You seem to be only person starting an argument here. Not sure why, but I think your statement that a rare Porsche will be “just a used car in 10 years” sums up your knowledge of one of fastest appreciating marques.

I currently own 3 collectible vehicles, only one of which I will probably never get rid of! The other two came along at good prices, but are NOT exactly what I want in my collection. None of the 5 vehicles are on my current want list, and I’m not very fond of Mustangs, either, but I would have to pick the Mustang GT singly over the 5 car group, for the following 2 reasons: 1) it might Grow on me, or 2) I could use it to “horse trade” down the line for a clean representation of a car on my “bucket list”! At the same time having only one extra car to maintain to preserve its value!

For a car, any car to be considered collectable it must meet two criteria 1) more people must want the car than there are cars available and 2) it must be worth more now than it was 5 years ago, which makes your car just a used car. Will it be collectable someday? Maybe, even the lowly 914’s have become collectable. Now’ I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with your car, I have a newer car that I use as a commuter too. I would love it if I could use my Camaro as a daily driver but I’m too afraid of some crazy person crashing in to it! But, when you make statement like “I don’t know why anyone would drive a squeaky 68 FB to anything other than a show to display it” tells me that you are ignorant of the state of the hobby and if you can’t understand the appeal of driving and old car you just don’t get it and I’m glad that you don’t have a 68 FB because you don’t deserve one! And, to answer your question as to how much a 68 FB will be worth in 10 years, the answer is more, more than it is worth now and more than your Porsche!

Do some research will you, my current car IS worth more now than it was 5 years ago. Almost every Porsche has gone up, especially what you call the “lowly” 914’s which have cracked 100k. My 944 has doubled as well. I also did not say “anyone” when I referred to “my” old squeaky '68 FB. I said 'I". The simple difference you have is that you seem to be only interested in American muscle, that’s fine, your choice, but to keep bashing a foreign make without what seems to any knowledge about them is quite narrow minded. I like most all cars, including American muscle as I jave had one. You should try looking beyond your view sometime. But most importantantly, don’t disagree with someone’s choice in cars, instead celebrate the differences of opinion. You are the only one on here who seems so negative about others choices, take a powder and stop whining will ya.

I’m not bashing your Porsche or any Porsche. The are not my cup of tea but I understand the appeal, and I would take a 356 or 911 over your car any day as well. Again, I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with your car! If it is what moves you more power. But you are the one who was lamenting the state of the car hobby in one breath and then extolling the virtues of your modern car in the next. Next, I did do some research and your car retailed for mid 60’s when new and is trading in the mid 40’s now. Again, if your Porsche makes you happy, great! But don’t run down others by telling them how much better your car is than theirs, and when you make a statement like " my thoughts and probably not yours" you are inviting disagreement and discussion!

I would rather have one really special car, whatever it may be, at $50,000 than five somewhat special ones.
One car means one insurance, one storage, one maintenance, one to attend to, etc.
Five cars multiplies the expenses and as much as I would love them all, I can only drive one at a time.
Would I love to have enough money to own a whole stable full of beauties, sure.
Then reality sets in. We are not all Jay Leno (yes, envy there).
Maybe one day I’ll select the right Lotto number for my stable but for now, one is enough.
Thanks.