Hagerty.com

The 7 best Ford muscle cars that aren't Mustangs

Ford essentially ruled the world’s racetracks in the 1960s. Its “Total Performance” program stretched from the drag strips and big ovals of America to the East African Safari Rallys and Europe’s historic road courses. Ford even kicked Enzo’s culo at Le Mans. Company chairman Henry Ford II, with the help of men like Carroll Shelby, Bob Tasca, and Holman and Moody, was collecting checkered flags all over the globe in nearly every form of motorsport to improve the image of his brands.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/12/best-ford-muscle-cars-that-arent-mustangs

Yeah well you state the 7 best not being Mustangs and every one is late 60’s models, that is garbage!! To begin with you give a tiny shout out to the R-Code 427 66-67 Fairlanes but discount them due to numbers built, WRONG that is not part of the heading for your article and was not an issue with some of the cars you discuss here! While some of these are very write worthy cars some of the earlier cars deserve some credit and love too. Another bone to pick is your obvious disdain for anything Small Block and your desire to ONLY discuss the Big Blocks; although you quietly talked about the Boss 302 cars you think like a person that can’t get their head around the fact everything muscle car noteworthy is only those with large ci displacement blocks and I have a real problem with that because in many cases the lighter cars with small blocks are far superior to the large ci blocks you seem to love. Additionally I personally did not like the looks of the mid-sized Fords in the late 60’s nearly as much as some the earlier models discussed here.

Lighten up cvett1972. The author had valid favorites as you did as well. Express your opinion without attacking the author. We all have opinions and they are just that,opinions. Enjoy the cars.

The 67 through 72 Cougars are BAD ASS performers, they are more luxurious than the Mustangs with power windows and A/C. The XR7’s with the 427 side oiler or the 428 version are great looking and are stellar performers. The Eliminator was a fantastic looking car, especially any Cougar that was a rag top. I owned two 67 Shelby GT 500’s my last one with a top loader and a 3.91 drag pack, in 1994. I sold it in 1997 and wished thto God thsat I had kept it. I paid $34,000 for it and sold it for $62,000. The other Shelby Gt 500 I paid $1650.00 for in the summer of 1975 when I was statiioned in Sacramento Ca, while in the USAF. It was a 428 with the C-6. I flpped her and made $850.00 on her, Hell I only made $655 a month as an E-4 buck sgt. I enjoyed the torque of the big blocks but the small blocks whether it is a 289, 302 or 351 Cleveland all of these small blocks were great performers. and fun to drive. Small blocks are a lot easier to drive versus a rumbling big block and many a time I smoked a big block that could not hook up as it burned the tires away, as I launched and walked away in a small block beating the big block boy from 0 to 60 up to 90 m.p.h… Then that big block would finally come on at around 70 and hook up and top end wise it would always prevail.

Just out of high school in 1962 and with a job and money to spend on cars I bought a 1963-1/2 Ford Galaxie 500, Rangoon red, black interior, 427 cu/in, 425 HP, dual Holly’s, electronic ignition, BW T-10 four speed and 4.56 gear. Paid $3300 for it. Went against the 421 Pontiac’s, 409 Chevy’s, 426 Dodge"s and Plymouth’s at the local drag strip with some success. I dearly wish I still had that car.

What fun the late '60s and early 70’s were for muscle of any size body…if you were a serious street racer hidden mods were carb jets, distributor advance springs, headers, big gear ratios, jack shocks and a Hurst shifter were paramount…traction bars and a noisy solid lifter cam negated the pure stock look and sound…engine fender tags were removed or replaced with small block emblems…turbos and street superchargers were yet to come but I did get smoked by a 55 Chevy post running a belt charger one night…the Galaxie 427 light weights were very rare…a couple of years ago an old fart like me was driving one in a upper peninsula parade…he bought it new…what a treat that was to listen to that 427 racket…

Then the article should have read" The Best 7 Non Mustangs from the 60’s IN MY OPINION!!" All I was saying is that you can’t discount a group of cars that were available to the general public due to them only having less than 1,000 units built but then turn around and and talk about an automobile from “down Under” with even less numbers and not even known in this country since the article was about “Muscle Cars” and that car obviously was not one…in any ones opinions from this country.

It would have been nice to include some of the early 60s Fords such as the 60/61 Starliner hipo 352/390s, 63/64 Galaxie 427s. and at least an honorable mention to the 66/67 Galaxie Q code 428 [7Litre]

I am the second owner of a 64 galaxy 500 convertible with original p code 390 solid lifter police engine and top loader trans. Bought in 1968 for $950. I always wished it was the 427 available then but it is still fun to drive. I always enjoy reading about the fords of the 60’s. I recall working around a factory drag car which I think was 61 with 406?. No visors, 1 bucket seat, no floor mats etc. Was that what was known as the lightweight?

You also didn’t mention that the 68 Torino Cobra and Torino Gt are not the same cars. The suspension is very different the rear end is larger and there were about 450 made with a Borg Warner 4 speed. Also the Badging had a Cobra just behind the front wheels as well as the small 428 badge on the ram air hood scoop

No, The 61 you referred to was not a factory lightweight or even a factory drag car and was not powered by a factory installed 406. The 406 wasn’t released until the 1962 model year. The factory did not formally enter drag racing until 1962 with the construction of 6 light weight 62 Galaxie 406 cars, some if not all 6 were equipped with a 2 x 4 manifold/carb setups. the 3 x 2 option was mainly for high performance street use.

Maybe the vehicle I recall was a 62. Dead brain cells are an excuse. The vehicle I seem to recall was owned by a concrete contractor in Arlington, Va. and I worked nearby in a full service gas station. Remember those?

Excellent article…Especially the GT-E part!