Hagerty.com

The absolute best road trip tunes, according to you

A/C D/C- Long way to the top.
When I am in a traffic jam, I like to listen to the Rodeo Song.

Bought a brand new 1973 Hornet X hatchback w/ 304 V8. Towed a small RV trailer with 2 buddies. NY to MN and then Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Idaho, NOCAL, SF, LA, Pacific Coast Hwy down to SD to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Bryce, Zion, CO to MN to NY. 8 weeks 13k miles. Total cost for gas, food and campgrounds was 363$ per person. Car was new and AMC in Vegas gave it a free oil change and free tune up. That cost is correct. Car got 10 mpg with the trailer and almost 20 when it was disconnected. I slept in the hatchback area which was the size of a double bed and the dealer through in mosquito netting. The other guys slept in the 16 ft. trailer.

Sold the car with 153k when I moved into NYC. Purchaser was over 200k with the car when last I saw her in 1979. Same car also towed that trailer another 10k on various trips from NY to FL…

All good suggestions, but how about FUNKYTOWN?

455 Rocket - Kathy Mattea

Don’t forget - Radar Love

really?

nothing Latin, no classic jazz?

no Trane, Miles, Billie, Sergio Mendez, Benny More’ or Celia Cruz?

no big band, Helen Forrest, Ella, Calloway, Doris, Dinah?

no blues, Robert Johnson, Ledbelly, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, King brothers?

do i even need mention rock steady and reggae were totally ignored?

where is the Motown, TSOP and Muscle Shoals?

just a whole lot of rock (and in the case of Clapton, Bread-level studio session rock) without the roll?

The Beach Boys did BEACH PARTY music (even if none of them surfed) not exactly what one might call traveling music;

don’t see ‘Surfer Girl’ or ‘Fun, Fun, Fun’ traveling so well as Marvin’s ‘I Heard It Through The Grapevine’ or War’s ‘Cisco Kid’;

glad the results of this survey weren’t used for ‘American Graffiti’ or ‘Forrest Gump’ or ‘Across the Universe’;

Dion and the Belmonts, Kansas City

Panama / Van Halen cannot keep my foot off the pedal

For driving, it’s tough to beat any song by CCR.

Have to have some good “tunes” on when driving; my wife who is a huge music collector (vinyl, CD, Cassette) has thousands of songs; what I do-whatever “Classic” I have and drive, I ask her to get me a CD or Cassette from that year (same as the classic) and I insert it, jump in the “72” Beetle, listen to a little “Dr. Hook and The Medicine Show” or some “Seals and Croft”, or when I’m cruising in the “95” Vette, I pop in some “Hootie and the Blowfish” or some “Van Halen”; matching the ride (year) and the songs (year) makes it a real “flash back”

loweredvw

1 Like