Hagerty.com

The Cayenne could soon shake up what it means to be a collectible Porsche

The Porsche market was the center of attention last week in a Scottsdale panel discussion, hosted by Hagerty and organized by the Porsche Club of America. While the conversation often returned to the familiar classic Porsche models, there was a surprise topic that fueled the conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/22/porsche-cayenne-next-collectible

No mention of the Panameras. They embody true Porsche technology in a capable four-place. 400+ HP from 3 liter twin turbo.

We own and drive daily a 2006 Cayenne S which we picked up used about 8 years ago. All of the shortcomings of the car have been addressed and repaired or replaced, and the car is so wonderful, that my wife says we always have to have one! We bought it with 60,000 miles, and now it has 152,000 miles and still gets compliments on its good looks. Runs strong, and the only series of Cayenne with a low range, which we use here on the Big Island. All the later models are soccer mom cars!

2 Likes

Some of these people need to go drive past the local strip mall or fast food joint. Tired, lot damaged, clear coat failure Cayennes are as ubiquitous as Explorers or PT Cruisers used to be, complete with smoking exhaust, bald tires and perma-stained, never-cleaned wheels.

By the way, “millennials” have no idea of what a 944 even is.

@NOSBS2T - You are right, there are a lot of tired and beat down Cayennes out there. But the good ones are becoming more desirable and sought after. Low mileage and excellent condition examples are hard to come by and that will drive value as more buyers look to these great models in the future.

It’s also hard to say that younger enthusiasts have no idea what the 944 model is. It’s purely anecdotal on my end, but I know more than a few millennials who own the water-pumper Porsche model.

1 Like

Are we discussing collectible cars here or just really “cool” used cars? It’s only a matter of time until the collector car hobby is populated by a variety of Honda Preludes that stir up memories for the gen x’ers. Maybe even some vintage VW Jettas? Do you think they’ll have neon lighting?

1 Like

Regardless of condition an early Cayenne has a lot in common with vehicles you can buy today and ones you see all around you. I think the key to what makes a car collectible is that they don’t make them like that anymore and you don’t see them everyday. The Cayenne has a long way to go until you can say those things about it.

1 Like

I think the writer makes a valid point. Especially with the early 955s. I have a 955 Turbo 2004, in addition to others.

When the 970 was introduced I got an invitation from Porsche to come and see the car and take a test drive. The rep showed me a Yachting Blue 970 Turbo loaded to the gills.

The performance was impressive but in real world terms offered not much more than my 955 Turbo is capable of. That’s not to discount or discourage it the 970’s historic significance and place in the kingdom of all that is Porsche. However, I think it may play a role in who buys a 955 v. a 970.

Now the true collector I am sure will have both. I aim to complete the current set with a 980 if I can ever save enough to afford one.

Interesting, I didn’t know that about the older Cayennes, what is the “low range” years?

2003 to 2006. Flip of a switch in the center console while in Neutral. Other part of same center cluster in the Turbo model changes the ride height. I think it may have been a rare option on the S model as well. Just had rear wheel bearings replaced. Left one was singing loudly. Gas mileage went up on our short hauls up and down the hill to the shop every day from 15 up to 17 and the sensitive tranny shifts very smoothly again. Wonderful 2 ton, 150 MPH, all wheel drive Panzer Tank! Yawol!

1 Like

On long hauls not climbing hills, gets over 18 mpg.

After reading this article I hope haggerty will consider writing coverage on Porsche Cayenne’s.
I’m a owner of a mint 2005 turbo and early boxster
Haggerty writes the coverage on my boxster but last check would not cover my Cayenne

Same here, owner of a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. I’ve checked in the past to add it to my policy and was told they wouldn’t cover it… Has this changed???

@ratbonesxx - In some cases we are able to write the Cayenne. Give us a call at 800.922.4050 and talk to an agent to see if it is something we can add you your current policy.

I’ll call tomorrow, thanks.

Think it’s going to take more the just the two of us to get them to look at changing policy
Can only hope people with old rovers

Srt’s etc will also reply

Seems obvious that any “expense “

SUV or truck will likely land in the collectors category given enough time

This. So much, this…

Higher value vehicles command a higher value residual resale value.

The high value also makes regular auto insurance companies more likely to repair than total out in the event of a loss or accident. In other words, the more the car is worth initially, the less likely regular auto insurers are going to consider them a disposable, throwaway good.

Whether or not they are actually worthy enough of this is another distinction, based more on people’s personal opinions.

Also own a few Porsche’s, had a 2008 Cayenne which Hagerty insured for about a year but when upgraded to 2012 and wanted to transfer insurance got much HASSEL and after more than a day waiting was told it doesn’t fit Hagerty’s guidelines ???
So why are they sending this article???
To buy one and then to be told they wouldn’t insure it? I don’t get it.