Hagerty.com

The Dodge Stealth offers tech galore for a bargain price

Come with us back to the halcyon days of the early 1990s, when Chrysler and Mitsubishi were full speed ahead in their Diamond-Star Motors alliance. The partnership had already given us captive imports like the economical Colt and the rear-wheel-drive Starion/Conquest sports car before joint production of the Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon trio of compact sporty cars began. If there was a poster child for the collaboration, however, it was Mitsubishi’s tech-laden 3000GT and its Dodge Stealth twin.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/13/dodge-stealth-offers-tech-for-a-bargain

Owned a 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo AWD. Lovely to drive and with performance.
My major issues and complaint was the manual transmission. Went through 2 in the space of 10,000 miles, both had issues with loss of synchromesh between 1st and 2nd. Those were both covered under the generous warranty. Apart from the transmission I had no other issues and, to my present day regrets, I sold the car.

The biggest concern with cars like this is that all the high-tech stuff will go bad and there’ll be no way to fix it, but I have little real-world evidence of whether that’s true or not.

The one owner here says ECU “craps out”. I’m curious if that means the car is bricked until it’s fixed. He says the better ECU from the later 3000GT is hard to find but apparently others are easier to find. How easy, and how likely is a given one to be troublesome too?

I once saw one of those cable shows where a guy repaired a 3000GT that had all kinds of electronic issues. He had ingenious fixes for everything that were surprisingly easy and cheap. That gave me hope that these cars will be able to stay on the road for a while.