Hagerty.com

The Ferrari, the Cobra, and the crickets in the garage

The first thing I notice when I lift the garage door (likely the first time it had been opened in decades) was a rather pedestrian mid-1980s BMW 325ix. That and the crickets. The Bimmer is cool, but I was lured to this garage in North Carolina with a promise that several high-end enthusiast cars had been parked there and forgotten a long time ago.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/24/ferrari-and-cobra-barn-find

I wanna know more about that propane-fuled +8 … that thing is wonky and kind of excellent

I believe it was a one year only propane Morgan. It was propane only for export to the United States because it could not meet emmision requirements!

It could not meet emmission requirements with that particular engine. Other engines were okay and ran on gas.

That TR6 sounds pretty neat.

I so want to know more about this story. So much more! Did the owner know he had an aluminum-bodied 275 GTB? Why did he park all these cars there and then abandon and ignore them for so long? Were they safe in the garage? Then why was it condemned?! (Along with the house!?) Who is this guy?! Did Tom buy all the cars? So. Much. More!

Really, it is obscene. I could never afford such cars, but I’d like to see someone drive and show them. Both the Cobra and Ferrari are works of art.

love this guy, but disappointed he did not mention the other cars even tho they were “less worthy” and what about values,that would have been incredibly interesting?? also should have done your homework on the ferrari

I couldn’t afford the highest end cars, but I’ve owned a TR6 before and would love to try another!

We’ll cover the Morgan and the Triumph in a later episode of Barn Find Hunter. Stay tuned!

If you watch the video, some of your questions will be answered. The owner asked not to be identified. The cars were the only tenants on the property for almost 30 years. Nobody has lived in the house since the cars were first parked there. It’s in a very upscale neighborhood and, due to decades of neglect, both the house and the garage were condemned and will be torn down by the new property owners.

We’ll have a follow-up video in a couple weeks where we talk about the fate of the cars. Stay tuned!

Hard to do your homework when you don’t know what you’re walking into! In regards to the other cars, we’ll be giving them their own Barn Find Hunter episode in the future. We thought it was best to focus this episode on the two big ones. Thanks for watching!

There are lots of odd cars hiding in North Carolina. I live there and I remember in the 1980’s a 427 cobra sold locally for $800 yes eight hundred. He had not heard of the demand and just sold it.
I have several myself. I have I think the highest optioned mustang ever sold with 32 factory installed options on the window sticker. I also have several of the rare towne top removable hard tops for the 1964 1/2 - 68 mustang convertible.
I actually turned down the King Cobra car in the 80’s for $3,500. An employee of Bud Moore had it. btw it never did have a Boss 9 in it from factory. Bud bought when he saw at the prototype shop for nearly nothing. They did not work aero was way off.
David

I live in Dilworth and almost freaked out when I saw East Bvld in the background in the beginning of the video. I’m guessing that the cars were found somewhere in Myers Park? Its killing me that I cant pin where the house was. Its killing me even more that there was a Cobra 427 minutes away from me during my entire childhood and I had no idea : (

Thanks. I’ll try to find some time to watch the vid, and look forward to
future installments! (Would be great if you could include the whole video
transcript for those of us who have an easier time quickly scanning through
text than finding more time and a private spot to watch vids – or drag out
the headphones! :slight_smile: )

@evertse You might want to edit your post to keep personal information off a public forum.

That was a great episode. I can’t understand why the owner wouldn’t at least cover the cars to keep the dust off them. Why would you leave the window partially open on the Ferrari and the trunk lid open on the Cobra. There has to be more to this story, why just leave the house abandoned especially with those expensive cars in the garage. Maybe it was haunted, just kidding. The low mileage is amazing too on all of them. I’m surprised the tires were still inflated. Oh well to many questions. I had a 74 Triumph TR6 in 1976, that was a fun car, but I can’t imagine driving the Ferrari or Cobra. The owner sounds like a interesting eccentric character to me and obviously wealthy, I would love to meet him or find out the story behind him.

the Wing Foot white line performance tires were a late 70’s/early 80’s thing, they weren’t around very long either

Isis Imports in San Francesco was bringing Morgans in for a time when they ran afoul of US emissions standards. By going to propane fuel, emissions were reduced to where the car was legal.

Love the barn find hunter series as Tom and I are the same vintage ourselves… and concerning the last episode- you’d have to be VERY eccentric to leave cars like that totally abandoned for that long!!

I hear Tom is doing a tour along the Lincoln Highway route- would love to see it when going through Iowa. Grew up just a couple miles off the route in Cedar Rapids, IA.