Hagerty.com

The first car to bear the Porsche name is up for sale. Here’s why it’s a big deal

It helps to have a well known brand name behind your work. Imagine if one of us built it. Oh! The nonsense we’d catch!

Wouldn’t Porsche want to own this? It’s not like they don’t have $20 million petty cash is some desk drawer.

The history that is involved with this car is mind boggling. And who is not to say that Porsche will be at the auction to purchase the car themselves? Even though they do have a model of this car in their museum. Nevertheless whoever gets to own it, it would be great if they shared it and took it to all the major car shows in the US. I for one would definitely love to see it!
“Porsche there is no substitute”

Maybe they will end up being the ones who get it at auction. Very possible they attempted to get it prior, but couldn’t come together on price.

IMS bearing been addressed?

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. Gorgeous car.

1 Like

Would have been nice to have a few interior shots.

“In 1947, the Porsches sent the Type 64 to Turin, where Battista “Pinin” Farina himself supervised a restoration. The restored first Porsche ran next to the 356 when that model was tested on public roads around Innsbruck in 1945.”

I think we have a typo here. I believe the 356 was first tested in 1948 - but I’ll defer to my Porsche expert friends to correct me if I’m wrong!

Yes, likely. If I were Porsche mgmt though I’d want it to go to auction bc the tons of attention it will get around the world is many $$$$'s worth of advertising. And, really, what’s the risk that they would be outbid? And by whom? Toyota? Russian oligarchs?

Worse. Jerry Seinfeld.

1 Like

It would’ve been nice if they’d turned on a few more lights when they were taking the photos. Sure, it’s artistically dramatic and all, but I’d rather be able to actually SEE the car!

If we can talk Miles Collier into buying it then we can all go to Naples Fl and see it.

1 Like

I’m with others who asked why Porsche isn’t buying this car. As an important piece of their history, it would be a great attraction at their fantastic museum. Plus, they could bring it to the annual Rennsport events that draw the Porsche faithful in from all over the world. I have been to several “Porsche Parades” where Wolfgang and Peter have posed for pictures in and around “Number One”. This would be a similar attraction and I think everyone who loved the brand would swoon when they saw it!

Porsche is likely to have more cash than Volkswagen.

Good point, Porsche already knows what (if any) limit they’d put on a purchase price, auction or not. The seller also knows what kind of dream amount it might bring. Chances are an auction is the only way they’d ever get together, and something IS only worth what someone will pay for it.

—or maybe, Porsche would love to let someone with the requisite dosh pony up, and offer said buyer the honor (along with owner’s name) of displaying the historic car in their museum.

It’s air cooled. A real Porsche. No IMS

I have seen 2 Type 64’s before, one at the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen, non-painted. and the other at the Peterson Museum in LA, painted black. Only three were built and this must be the missing third one. Glad it is making it’s way back to the limelight. They are much bigger than the pictures indicate. The seating in the Petersen one is side-by-side while the one in Germany is back to front. I have pictures of both. Wish I knew how to paste them here. (Type 996 IMS’s are real Porsches too. The bearing can be permanently fixed.)

Maybe this car will herald two new seasons of Seinfeld?

For those who want to see more of the car - visit this site:
https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-type-64-first-ever-porsche

I’m going to buy and daily it. Park it on the street, like that guy who parallel street parks his ‘84 GTO.
I’d Uber it, but no back seat.