Hagerty.com

The first diesel-powered Jeep Wrangler is expensive but good

The wind is picking up and the sun is already sliding behind the hills when we decide to climb the big hill one last time. The hill with tire-grabbing ruts and slick, crumbly limestone near its top. The one that bottoms out most trucks, stopping them dead in their tracks about 50 feet from the crest. The 2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel had already tackled it twice today, making it up the steep grade like it was a suburban driveway. With the temperature dropping and the light quickly fading, its 442 pound-feet of torque and locked front and rear differentials get us to the top once more—just in time to watch the orange fireball drop below the curvature of the earth.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/14/first-diesel-powered-jeep-wrangler-expensive-but-good

I like the idea of Jeeps (particularly Wranglers) and the look. I’ve been wondering a few things:

-if they made a stripped down model and priced it lower would they sell a ton of them? [I think yes because refinement and options isn’t what appeals to a (large?) segment of the Jeep appreciating audience]. Where I live any of the real Jeep products seem priced well above anything competitors have in similar class --guess it depends what you slot against a Wrangler…

-I get diesel is popular, particularly right now in the hot-rod convert old trucks/SuVs crowd… but there is a growing pushback against diesel. Not sure I would want to invest in a new diesel right now? --Maybe this depends on where you live…