Hagerty.com

The hottest 25 collector vehicles heading into winter

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, which is actually a silly phrase since you can’t play a broken record (the correct analogy would be a scratched record, since a scratched record skips and then repeats itself over and over)… Wait, where were we? Oh, yeah.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/11/20/hottest-25-collector-vehicles-heading-into-winter

@Jeff Peek

I take exception to that remark, I’m 70+ and still have a 32 inch beltline. :slight_smile:
Other than that I enjoyed the article.

I’ve owned a mint 90 Corrado for the last 27 years and still love it. It makes me chuckle that Hagerty lists the car now. The last time i looked into having them (Hagerty) insure my car, they (the rep on the phone) claimed it was not “good enough, nor is it collectible enough” and worth only a “few hundred dollars”. I of course went with another company after that pathetic initial phone conversation.

Don’t forget the LuAz 969M. The hottest thing in Eastern Europe. Mine was the first one insured through Hagerty. Made for the snow

I just got my 1966 Bronco back from the restoration shop today. Completely original, other than the power steering and brakes I had installed, along with seat belts. The vision from these older SUV’s is amazing, compared to the cramped cabins of newer vehicles. I’ve owned my Bronco since new and now my grandchildren can enjoy taking it out now and then. I’ve invested as much as these Broncos bring, but no one can put a dollar value on the memories.

Wow jrygg! 53 years of ownership! The average “Joe” generally does not understand just what a phenomenal achievement that is! So many things can go wrong over the years to cause a break the ownership cycle. Money needs, accidents, natural disasters, lack of interest… all trying to break up the marriage of machine and man. And yet you have held on to that wonderful Bronco. My 51 year ownership of a family heirloom vehicle was broken last year at 51 years (structure fire) and it was crushing. So my hat is off to you and I hope your grand children truly appreciate the effort it took to keep it in the family.

Thanks for your kind words. Many people think it isn’t an original color, but it is. My painter had to spend a lot of time to get it to match the original baby blue, and finally found the formula in an old 1966 auto paint book. The whitewalls are original style too, although they are Coker replicas. I have an old 1966 Ford Bronco ad that shows one equipped exactly like mine.

@jrygg - congrats on being an original owner of a '66!! You are in a very unique group (very small) of original early Bronco owners and particularly original '66 owners. Your truck’s color appears to be Arcadian Blue. I think I know the ad you’re referring to - it’s the one with the mom, dad, kid, and creepy unidentifiable toy.

jrygg-your Bronco undoubtedly is a nice vehicle however I question your claim that it’s original if it recently came back from a restoration with a repaint. Call me a purist but in my opinion an authentic original vehicle is one that still wears its original paint. They’re only original once. Any restoration whether it be a repaint in the original colour, an engine rebuild of the original engine , upholstery replacement in the original fabric, etc, etc. disqualifies a vehicle as being a true original.

In a word,…poppycock. As absolutely “untouched”, as we strive to remain, and as strident, true, and diligent as we must remain in our efforts to honor the originality of what is oft the center of our very life, we, and our beloved machines remain subject to the relentless ticking of the clock, and the ravages of time. There is no environment wherein a stitch is not subject to the pressures that gave it purpose in the first place. Even in an absolute vacuum the best glue will crack, the best rubber will rot, the finest shellac will crack, and the purest acrylic will oxidize. It is all just a matter of time. Time that we will valiantly fight to slow; but the battle is already lost.

Of course we will do our very best to remain true to what can be referred to as original. Who gets to decide what is, and what is not “original? Certainly not me. Thankfully not you.

Because the gentleman did not say Restored to as original… No reason to be so snobby here. It’s a beautiful Bronco sir! I hope you and your family create more of the most amazing memories with it than you already have.

There is nothing like the Chevy Suburbans for winter. We’ve owned 5. A '73 standard shift 350; a '73 454 2-wheel drive; a '76 350 2-wheel drive; an '85 4wd; and last a 2003 8.1L [496ci] 4wd.
All have gone to the bone-yard [except the 2003 so far] because of The vehicle littering body parts. ALL ran perfectly with over 200k miles and no running gear rebuilds. The 454 did need new 8-leaf rear springs replaced. Engine torque wound them right-up and broke 5 on each side when loaded with offspring, 6 friends, and gear on a skiing trip to Vermont.
in order minus the '76:

IMG_0928

Congrats on the Bronco. I hope you enjoy it and it makes you happy. My Dad always told us he would give one of his grand kids his M3. I told him don’t give it to anyone unless it has a couple hundred thousand miles and lots of rust holes. In other words, use it and enjoy it. He one upped me. After enjoying it for 15 years, he sold it and used the money for other pursuits. It was the right thing to do for him. The joy of ownership should be a joy for the owner, never a toil.

Nice to know that my current car collection is safe. Not one of these so called “collectables” will make me sell one of my current cars to buy one of these. But if anyone is interested I do have a rusty hulk of a Suburban sitting out behind the garage I’ll let go cheap. Selling it because I am pretty sure Hagerty’s list is way off the mark, as usual.

@tommy44432 Great to see you back! What cars did they miss this time? Would love see what input you have on how they missed the mark again.

Markalanlandis- I wasn’t trying to dictate to anyone what defines an original vehicle. I was, as my message indicates, giving only my opinion.

I’m afraid I’m going to have to come down on the side of “it is only original once”. Any restorations, improvements, or additions from how it was delivered from the factory and it is no longer original. Original cars are seldom pristine…far from it. Most original cars, quite frankly, are beaters. What we have here is a car that has been beautifully and lovingly RESTORED to original condition and improved upon with safety features. My nitpicking is with the wording, certainly not with the car. Congratulations on renewing the Bronco and keeping it in the family for enjoyment into the future.

@tommy44432 - I would never recommend someone base their collection on a list like this. They are data driven though, meaning our opinion is left out of selection (though it does show through in the commentary at times). You have it right- buy the cars you like and don’t let anyone else’s opinion change your enjoyment of that.

Now, how rusty is that Suburban?

1970-1971 Ford Torinos should be on the list. A year or so ago I had to pay $3600 to get a solid body non running formal roof. The only real difference is that someone had the foresight to order the car with bucket seats and floor console. (ala GT) At auction GT models are topping 25-35 thousand, with Cobra models even higher than that. A running formal roof car with nice paint and interior are 10-15k. They have jumped in value and popularity considerably in the last 2-3 years. I am glad I got mine when I did. It was a dream since high school around 1982, and I had all but given up on ever having one. I got the bug again, started hoarding every dollar I could scrape together, and went for it.

Get yourself one of these with T-tops and a 360 4 barrel V8.