Hagerty.com

The hottest 25 collector vehicles this fall

Wade through the multitude of trucks in the latest Hagerty Vehicle Rating and you’ll notice there are three cars seated at the cool kids’ table. Rubbing elbows with those popular SUVs and pickups are the 1992–2002 Mazda RX-7, 1971–73 Buick Riviera, and 2000–06 BMW M3.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/10/hottest-25-collector-vehicles-fall-2018

Once again Hagerty comes up with this list and once again I ask myself “what kind of drugs are these people on?”.

@tommy44432 The HVR is a statistic, using pricing data and insurance quote activity (among other numbers) to determine the overall state of the collector car industry and how specific models rank. It’s not an objective list, but what is moving up or down in terms of value and buyer interest.

Data, my man. They are on data. I’m a supplier of that data since they insure two of the models on that list for me. You want some data? The first one’s free…

Here are my comments on a couple of the cars on this list.

First, the 1971-73 Rivieras can be appreciated by the “original” crowd as well as the “custom” crowd. In fact, I love it both ways. A lot of cars don’t look good on both lists. This helps move it up the list.

Second, the first-gen Broncos. I just have never figured people’s fascination with this vehicle. The company where I worked for 40 years had one as a company car to do errands and similar activities. And that was back when it was fairly new. I drove it on occasion and I hated it! It drove terrible, was noisy as hell inside, very hot inside in summer, weak in the power department due to the 6-cylinder and had an incredibly long throw on the column shifter. It would be one of the LAST vehicles I would ever want.

Those whose sole interest in any given car is what it’s “worth” are in it for the money, and not for the sake of the car.
They may be “money guys.”
But they are not “car guys.”

As a former RX-7 owner, to own one today you really need to know how to wrench a rotary as mechanics with tribal knowledge of these engines are fast becoming dinosaurs. The latter was the main reason I sold my RX-7 plus the problem with the FD generation is Mazda pushed the limits of the engine a bit too much…this has caused problems for longevity of the engines if not taken care of meticulously.

I am a current owner of a 93 R-1 RX-7, and as it seems funny to see it ranked below any of the vehicles on the list. I purchased it in 1998 and have had few problems that weren’t easily remedied. I also have a 70 T/A Challenger, and have had many other performance cars, but this one is just plain fun to drive.

I notice that over half of the “Collector Cars” are trucks. The collector auctions prove that out. Trucks are the hot ticket.

List seems legit. Do you just not like the cars or do you happen to have insight that no data can provide?

Can’t buy the list myself! You’re telling me a Buick Riviera beats out the 67-72 F100??!? Not from what I see.

And a 99 Porsche 911 beats out all the non SC air-cooled 911s? No way.

Sorry Hagerty. Bad data.

These are mostly trucks. There are two classics that can easily be had for a very reasonable price. The Chevy Corvair and the Fiat 850 Spider. Both simple to work on. The Fiat 850’s are pretty rare, but there are still some out there.

As a Porsche owner (993 and 997.2) and former first gen Bronco owner, this data seems pretty spot on. I was in the market for an early 80’s 911 earlier this year but decided against it due to the outrageous prices for cars that needed a lot of work. I ended up buying a 993 (last of the air-cooled) because prices have cooled a bit in the last year or so. And while searching, I also noticed that the 996 iteration of the 911’s (‘99-‘04) have steadily crept up in price as well. A couple of years ago a run-of-the-mill 996 could have been had for about $15k-$18k or so. Now, it’s difficult to find them for less than $22k-$25k. I can’t really speak to the other vehicles, but it sure seems like all the old pickups and 4x4’s are maintaining popularity and driving up prices.

I’ve had my '93 RX7 since 1995, second owner. I’m a car nut, restored a '67 XKE drove it for 14 years, two Austin Healey MK 3’s…many other cars…worked on bought and sold…RX7’s (first and second gen’s), BMW’s, Porshe’s, Triumph’s, MG’s etc. If I had to pick one car out of them all, for looks, handling and performance…an FD RX7 tops the list…the car is automotive art, turns heads young and old where ever I go. I can’t understand why it’s lagged behind the NSX, GT 3000? I’ve never had any issue with the FD I couldn’t fix myself, or find some help from someone with more experience. The FD is fun to drive…fantastic stock suspension and brakes, better than an NSX. Even with just simple mods, air filter, exhaust, injectors and a computer upgrade, a 2700lb car with almost 300 hp is fast enough for me. I feel so lucky to have an FD, wouldn’t part with it for anything…well…maybe a GT 40!!

The coveted '93 Yellow R1…beautiful!..I own a red '93 R1. Couldn’t agree with you more…this car should be on the top of everyone’s A list…the oversight gives someone a chance a buy, at a reasonable price, a future automotive milestone. It took many years to finally give the Jag XKE milestone status…and having owned a '67 roadster for 14 years, and restored it myself…in my opinion the FD is a better car…hands down…and some day the collectors market will acknowledge the art and engineering Mazda put into the FD…meanwhile…lucky us, we own a piece of history.

I’m glad to see the 71-73 Rivs finally get some love. Ever since my boss let me take his 71 around the block one time when I was in high school, I fell in love with these cars and their styling. Unlike the nondescript jelly-bean school of car design that dominates today, you will never mistake one of these for anything else.

Those vehicles are old news, they can’t go up forever. Makes sense that unloved cars like the Riviera and 996 would go up. The air cooled Porsche market went nuts and all of a sudden a lot of people couldn’t afford a 911 anymore. Rising tide raises all ships my friend, simple fact of the market. People are going to move to different markets when they get priced out. Data seems sound, it just requires a more thoughtful interpretation.

There are few cars I’d take over an FD, but by the time I graduate they may be so expensive that they’re just not worth the cost of a US model. I’d rather not have to go through the trouble of importing one but I just may have to.

The Fiat 850 Spider is a nice and fun car to drive. I OWNED A 1971. Just pray that you never have to change the fuel filter in the gas tank because you have to drop the engine.

There probably just aren’t enough Nissan Figaros like mine to even register in their data but prices on ones for sale if you can find them are climbing rapidly, at least for good condition original paint color ones.