Hagerty.com

The Hyundai Sonata Smaht Pahk is friggin’ yoosless in Boston

I can’t speak for Boston, but for the rest of the world, there’s one place this feature could be highly useful–handicapped parking spots where some numbskull (polite term) has parked on the yellow slashed lines painted to give people with disabilities extra room to lower a ramp, or simply to get in and out of their cars. For that matter, it would increase the number of spots available for people with disabilities. My daughter uses a wheelchair, and has the appropriate “handicapped parking tag.” She often has a hard time actually using these spots because some fool has tried to make an extra spot where none exists, or who is “just going to be there a minute,” and parks where they do not have the credentials to park. The ability to back the car out long enough to load her wheelchair into the car when she drives herself would be priceless.

And if you’re the one doing it, stop it!

1 Like

I’m not talking about options that can only be purchased in packages with other options you might not want. I’m talking about useful features–I specifically mentioned ABS–and wondered why someone would not want a feature like that when there is no way they can outperform that feature. These advances in auto tech have made vehicles an order of magnitude safer, cleaner-burning, more reliable, longer-lasting, more fuel-efficient and better-performing than cars of the past. And there are still many fun-to-drive options to choose. Yes, there are many classic cars that are enjoyable, but they are appreciated for their art or nostalgia. What I’m wondering is why people are so selective that they accept some tech is good but other tech is bad. Another example: Limited slip diff? Good. Traction control? Bad. Yet, isn’t traction control In part a more-advanced form of what a limited-slip differential is trying to do? Argue that some implementations of traction control weren’t good, ok, but to make a blanket statement that the tech is bad as a whole is short-sighted.

“Lowest forms of life”?? I’m insulted. I grew up in Boston, still live in a suburb and the accent in the ad is exaggerated but somehow endearing. I’m aware it’s annoying to some people and I can turn it (mostly) off if I know, but I’m constantly amazed whenever I travel at how many people can’t get enough of me speaking. Maybe the college you attended was particularly intolerant but as is true in every region, there’s a wide variety of “life forms” here and few of us sound like national news anchors. Have a wicked pissah day!

Back in the day, some 30+ years ago. I flew in to various cities, rented a vehicle, picked up a map and navigated to sundry places. Boston was by far the hardest city to get around in. The roads tended to follow ancient cow paths. :grimacing:

Hey Milkman! Don’t be insulted! You’ve admitted that you can ‘turn off the accent’ and that it is annoying to some ( I say many). I’m sorry but I grew up in the East and was advised to 'lose the accent" if you want to be successful elsewhere. So I did. And I was. In my view, especially with the advent of national news, T.V. shows etc. the regional Eastern accents makes one sound rather uneducated. To me the existence of these accents today indicate one who doesn’t want to learn. The folks, you refer to, that delight in your accent are making fun of you. “Hey milkman-say park the car near Harbor! again…” Think about it. And you sir, have a wicket good day.

Well you can’t judge me as a lowest form of life based on my accent and insist I shouldn’t be insulted. May I gently suggest you judge forms of life by their words (and deeds of course) instead? While I admit to being uneducated that doesn’t mean I’m unintelligent. Unless you’re on air talent in the broadcast industry, I suspect you would’ve become successful no matter your accent. My wife (a BC and Harvard grad by the way) says my voice, with the accent, is one of the first things that attracted her to me. Ten years on, I can still brighten her worst day simply by telling her about mine. Her midwestern friends seem delighted when I join her on visits. If this is all an elaborate ruse to make fun of me, I’m rolling with it!

1 Like

Okay Mr. Milkman…you win. You’re comfortable in your own skin and that’s a good thing. I stand with my original position, however. Did you ever notice that the only person on the Cheers television series with a ‘Boston’ accent was that buffoon of a Cliff Claven? Just curious. Peace/Out.

You obviously have never driven a car with ABS in the snow.
On a slippery surface it is pretty much like not having any brakes at all !!! I have had to use the emergency brakes on more than one occasion to get the car to stop.

Sometimes you want the car to skid a little and break through the slush to grab the pavement below. Cant do that with ABS.

I disconnect a couple of wheel sensors in the winter months so that I can stop when I need to.

^not sure what the above quote has to do with me --I haven’t talked about ABS in this thread at all.

The closest is my comment about not finding most 90s and later features all that worthwhile to me.

Google “cons of ABS brakes” and you get 20 years of various views, most of which this more recent brake company post https://www.meineke.com/blog/benefits-anti-lock-brakes/ sum up (bad in winter, bad on gravel, cost more). The one frequently-cited con of ABS they don’t fully mention is inconsistent results on dry pavement where your stopping distance may in fact be less with ABS.