Hagerty.com

The IH Scout is the bargain alternative to the Blazer and Bronco

They say high tide raises all boats. Why then, aren’t vintage SUVs like first-generation International Scouts riding the same valuation wave as classic Ford Broncos and Chevy Blazers? It’s all about interest. And vehicles from International Harvester just don’t have the same name recognition—and magnetism—as their Ford and Chevrolet counterparts.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/10/05/ih-scout-bargain-alternative-to-blazer-bronco

International Harvester made trucks and so people weren’t exposed to the name, the Scout was a good vehicle, as are all IH vehicles, the S-110 pickups were very good, the S-120 4WD in '56 was great four-wheeler but was dropped late in '57. I have one of those, super tough.

I bought a used 1956 S0120 4WD when I was in high school in 1962 for $600. I used it for a number of years and although it has gone through several owners it is still running and looking good. In Eastern Oregon we had lots of Internationals because most any town of any size had a dealer. I’ve owned 5 different “corn binders” over the years and all gave me good service. I can’t remember ever having any trouble finding the correct gear when shifting the 4 speed, however. Dodge may claim to build tough trucks, but International actually DID!

The prices of these have jumped tremendously in the last 5-10 years. Especially early V-8 powered varieties along with the special edition models. The problem is finding ones that are not decimated with rust. Unfortunately many of these IH rigs were used by farmers and ranchers who used them like the tools and they were scrapped when they were retired. But the ones that survive over the years are hard to find in straight bodies condition. I bought a 1970 800A v-8 and drove it in January from Oregon to Illinois about 15 years ago. The over 2000 mile journey was an adventure for sure. No issues except for accelerator pump diaphragm popped going through Rockies. Stopped at a Dennys in Colorado also and snapped this photo, David among the poser Goliaths.

Two things I remember about the original Scout: the front end was lighter than the rear and the car therefore had a tendency to swap ends if you stood on the brakes hard; and the oil filter was located behind the left headlight.

Hello,
If anyone is looking for scouts(2 complete) and/or parts just email me and you will be contacted back.

Due to the Ford & Chevy rising prices that is why I bought a 1969 Jeep Jeepster Commando. Only made from 1966-1973 with about 75K sold. Came in 4 flavors: Station Wagon, Half Cab pickup, Roadster or a Convertible with a power top You can find the V6 with either a 3 speed or automatic. Still a lot of them around and parts are easy to get.

I mean I already have a 53 Travelall. The Scout does have lots more options and parts available.

The problem I saw with driving a Jeepster was the steering column that went through the floor and blocked using your left foot for braking. I’m not attacking nor defending left foot braking, just saying a majority of people do it when they have an automatic transmission. In 1970 I worked parking cars at a restaurant when a customer left in his new Jeepster but didn’t stop at the end of the driveway because he was not used to the steering column blocking him from left foot braking. Fortunately he only did sheet metal damage to a car parked on the other side of the street.

Saying that a majority of people with an automatic transmission do left foot braking is not accurate. Most people were taught in driver’s ed to use their right foot for the gas and the brake. In my life, I’ve only seen one person use different feet for the gas and brake as part of their regular driving habit, and I recall it vividly because of how unusual I found it at the time ~16 years ago.

It certainly makes sense to use both feet, but I believe most people started using just one foot in an automatic and didn’t transition to two feet. Pro drivers, yes. Regular Joe’s, no.

The International Scout was manufactured at the Chatham, Ontario ,Canada, Truck Assembly Plant for many years. Sadly this plant is now closed and has been torn down! Only an empty field left. I worked in Management for many years with Navistar, and recall that we had an obsolete warehouse in Chatham full of International Scout parts, including axles, and 360/390 cubic inch V8’s sitting in racks covered in dust. Wonder what became of all those parts. It would be a treasure of parts for someone working on a Scout. Years ago production supervisors at the plant were given a new Scout ever six months to drive as their vehicle.

SCOUT-75
Well… I have to take issue with those who’d opt for an old Blazer or Bronco… my Little Goliath is a TANK and besides that she’s loaded w/ extras and she’s purdy!
1979 V-8 345 727 Auto and have had no issues at all with parts… you may have to wait a little longer for a part to arrive, but parts are available. I am VERY often stopped by strangers to inquire if I’d sell my baby but my response is always the same: “you can’t afford her”!!!lol
Hat’s off to those keeping these awesome vehicles running … I looked for this vehicle for at least ten years and one day… there she was.

VERY nice vehicle… love it! What type wheels are on your Jeep? I’m looking to change my wheels on the Scout… are these 5 X 5.5?

Hi harisman,
I’m looking for a new speedometer cable… only the bottom end… it has twisted off!

Those are Cragars Soft 8’s. And yes they are 5 X 5.5. I don’t think they make them in chrome anymore but they are available in black. Check out their website for more info.

You have a nice looking Scout. I was looking at those, first generation, instead of a Bronco when I came across the Jeepster.

Hello,

Please send email address.

Thanks

A bargain alternative? Cheaper to buy but much more expensive to restore and maintain! Still, the Scout and Scout II are both cool and I applaud anyone who takes on the challenge. I think another choice would be the Ramcharger, with its low price and parts interchangeability with Dodge trucks it may be an affordable alternative. My personal choice though would be a 60-66 SWB Suburban.

IH are much more expensive to maintain? Based on what? I own 16 vehicles, my '70 IH Travelall, doesn’t seem to cost more than any others… I’m confused by statements like that.

For the International collector, seen on Craigslist today.

Based on the fact that parts are harder and more expensive to buy. Maintenance is more than just fluids and filters!