Hagerty.com

The Lincoln Continental Mark VII once had a BMW turbodiesel

Even before Volkswagen’s 2015 emissions scandal quashed America’s taste for diesel-powered engines in passenger cars, automakers had a hard time selling them stateside. Small diesel engines might be super popular in Europe, but Americans are wary of them, especially after a run of woefully lackluster cars in the 1970s and ’80s amidst the oil crisis. One of the short-lived offenders was the Lincoln Continental Mark VII, which for the brief spell of 1984–85 offered a BMW-sourced 2.4-liter turbodiesel straight-six. People did not like it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/03/lincoln-continental-mark-vii-bmw-turbodiesel

They may not have built many of these diesel Marks, but they have a very high survival rate. I’ve seen 5-10 of these listed for sale in the past couple years and most of them are in spectacular condition. In fact, when looking at 84-85 Marks it seems easier to find a diesel than a V8 and I have no idea why.

We have one of these in immaculate condition sitting in our shop at our ranch. My father in law bought it in 1985. He used to take it out and drive it once or twice a year but now it has just sat there for the last 15 years. It’s a gorgeous car, it’s black . :slight_smile:

My father was a Ford Exec and had one as his company car. I was in my early 20’s and loved driving that car especially since my other option was a Mercury Lynx.