Hagerty.com

The mid-engine Corvette C8.R wants to take the racing world by storm

Teased during the new C8 Stingray Convertible’s reveal and launched straight after, the C8.R is the successor to all the loud beasts that helped Corvette Racing to eight Le Mans victories and countless glorious wins all over the world. And now, as the Corvette goes mid-engined for the track as well, Chevy’s silver livery on the number 4 C8.R pays homage to the color of the 1973 Chevrolet Aerovette and the 1959 Corvette Stingray Racer, with a touch of yellow here and there.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/03/mid-engine-corvette-c8r

My only complaint is that it needs more yellow. But man, what a killer looking car.

1 Like

The exhaust noise is totally bananas - it absolutely RIPS through the RPM range. And going off of that, if this thing isn’t a flat-plane crank, I’ll eat my pair of white New Balance shoes.

Well, it definitely looks like a Corvette, people will decide whether that’s good…or not so.

Wow, that takes “Make America Great Again” to a new level. Fair warning world.

Crystal Ball says DNF.

1 Like

Hope it does well :+1:

I’m with @convoyhank. The Ford GT had teething problems in the first 24 Hours, I recall. And then won the GT class @ 24 Hours of LeMans in 2016. Ford had MultiMatic and Ganassi handling the build / teamwork. Who does GM have tending to this racing initiative?

I was completely underwhelmed with the design of the C8 Corvette- particularly the boomerang style molding for the side air intake. The racing version erases all visions of the stock car. Truly amazing design- hopefully a lot of the design cues will filter down to the showroom versions.

Hopefully it’ll at least be on display at Road Atlanta this week for the Petit. I’m going to be there as usual and would love to see this up close and personal before 2020.

I usually lean to the more curvy smooth lines…I guess they call them “organic”. But it’s grown on me as well. And yellow is one of my fav colors for a sports car. Hope they do well with it.

Pratt & Miller will again be handling things, obviously backed up by Corvette Engineering. Couldn’t ask for a better group.

Also, its dimensions have grown … not a stock car at in any respect. The Viper always kept its dimension stock. Never really liked chevy getting that waiver …

1 Like

Please excuse me while I put my eyes back in their sockets!

Looks like a Ferrari killer!

Just needs some flames and American Torq-Thrust wheels.

I can’t help but wonder what Hagerty is getting paid by Corvette for all the articles/publicity. Good grief, guys!

So what if they are? I don’t read every article they publish… only the ones I want to read. I like hearing about the new 'Vette. I’m not hearing a lot about it elsewhere. I’m not buying one, but it’s good to know about it. I think it looks great, and it’s an interesting development in a long line of American Sports Cars.

2 Likes

I’ll miss the all yellow livery; audacious and easy to spot.

I saw the C8 at Barrett Jackson Vegas last weekend, and You Tube and Hagerty photos just don’t do it justice. I did not expect it to look that good.They did a great job of keeping the Corvette look,but it sure could use some better looking wheels.