Hagerty.com

The mystery of this oddly optioned 1968 Camaro

Ok, it’s been 50 years and my memory isn’t what it used to be. I’ll have to check with my friend Steve, but If it wasn’t a convertible, then it was most likely a white vinyl top. But it was a Z28 and beautiful. I don’t think I ever remember seeing another one as nice.

metrmanmichael
July 14

Dear Motorrader, FYI: First off all, there is no such thing as a Z28 Convertible. If it was a convertible it was not a Z28. Secondly, That is a beautiful RS/SS and it does have one very rare option that I also have on my RS/SS Convertible. In fact, that one is the only other Camaro I’ve seen that has the factory option of the fiber optic turn signals on the fenders. Only 1755 of them were ordered from the factory.

Well, I haven’t found many, but here is a ’68 Camaro Z28 convertible !! Much more common for ‘69

One Z28 convertible was made for Pete Estes.

Well, that’s either a nice bit of PhotoShop, or someone’s idea of a dream build…'67 grill and rocker trim, '69 side markers and seats, and a grill bow-tie I’ve never seen before…something seems off about the windshield surround too…still, I wouldn’t kick it out of the garage…<g!>…

I have never seen or come across another '69 Camaro with options mine had. Not saying one didn’t exist but again never seen another even with today’s internet search.

1969 Camaro RS. AT, 350/250 hp. (Non SS or Z/28, but hey my first car!) Fully loaded, air. RS deluxe interior with AT horseshoe handle console, fabric weave seat inserts.

Dover white exterior, with black fender hockey stripes, dark blue vinyl top, with dark blue interior.

I’ve seen other white, with blk hockey stripes with black vinyl tops, and interior, but never another with white, blk side stripes n blue interior/top.

I loved that RS! I bought it from Ellis Brooks Chevrolet in San Francisco in 1971 for $2,600, low mileage perfect condition.

I added a Z/28 hood and front/rear spoilers, American 200s 15" wheels.The most beautiful car I ever owned. I loved those hideaway headlights and rear backup lights under the rear bumper. True RS.

Sadly my RS was stolen in '73. Striped and set on fire for a total loss. With my insurance money I bought a Placer gold n black stripes Z/28 4 speed. Loved that Camaro too, but that '69 RS was a beauty I always wished I had back!

AND I REPEAT…!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A Z28 CONVERTIBLE!!!

SURE YOU HAVE A NICE “CONCEPT” “DRAWING” OF ONE HERE BUT IN 1967,68,AND1969 CHEVROLETE DID NOT MAKE THE Z28 IN A CONVERTIBLE!!! DO SOME RESEARCH. COME ON CAMARO FANS…BACK ME UP HERE…
HEY MOTORRADER, YOU WANT TO SEE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CONVERTIBLE CAMARO EVER…CHECK OUT MY FULLY LOADED 50 YEAR OLD GIRLFRIEND…

Z/28s (as in the first gen 67/68/69 models) were never offered as convertibles. Nor were the subsequent ‘70-‘74 Z28s. The Estes car cited was a one-off engineering prototype, built from a ‘68 convertible body, but equipped with a number of special demonstration options being considered for sale in 1969, e.g. 4 wheel disc (JL8) brakes, cross ram induction (which was also available over the counter from the dealer but not installed at the factory, in ‘68), quadraphonic stereo, etc. See Michael Lamm’s excellent book on “The Great Camaro” for details and pictures on this particular car and other early Camaros.