Hagerty.com

The old-school Chevrolet Blazer that never was

The legend of the Chevrolet Blazer is well established, and known to many enthusiasts: Ford introduces Bronco in ‘65 as a 1966 mode year, in a fit of equine-themed offerings starting with the Mustang. Dearborn enjoys wild success for four model years while Chevrolet/GMC sits on its hands and waits for the commotion to blow over before introducing its own sport-utility vehicle, the K5 Blazer and Jimmy.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/04/old-school-blazer-that-never-was

Wish Chevy would of kept making the 72 model for a few more years. The 73 74 models were not even close to the quality of the 72. The doors never felt good when you shut them on that new body style and they rusted out like crazy .

Interesting article, thanks. Looks to me like that clay foretold the '67-'68 C/K hood styling, the Suburban rear lights as mentioned, and more interesting, the wheel opening treatment that later appeared on the ‘71 Plymouth B-bodies and mid’'70s Dodge trucks.

I have to disagree with @hotrodduane62 here. The 72 was a great ride, don’t get me wrong, but the 73 model year was an improvement in almost every way. Design aside (I prefer the square body over the previous gen), the 73 was more aerodynamic, had better fit and finish, better gaps, better sound insulation, better weather seals, better materials, better appointments, more features, was safer, I can go on… All of this comes at a cost, it adds weight. The doors were no exception to this weight gain, but when properly adjusted (providing that the door bushings are in good shape), they close very nicely with a single finger’s worth of pressure.

Looks to me like a lot of the styling of this prototype went into the Brazilian version of the Suburban - just look up 1971 Chevrolet Veraneio, and you’ll see what I mean.