Hagerty.com

The Pontiac Fiero may be affordable forever

The Pontiac Fiero lives in a strange space. A sporty, small, two-seater that stands as a constant reminder of what could have been. The spritely handling matched its looks, but a penny-pinching development team saddled the early version with the “Iron Duke” four-cylinder. Its modest 92 horsepower made driving more of a leisurely experience than an exhilarating one. Later versions added a 140-hp V-6, which elevated performance to match the redesigned aero bodywork, but the car always struggled to shake its initial reputation. It compared well to other mid-engine small cars of the time, including the Fiat X1/9 and Toyota MR2, but that didn’t seem to save it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/03/pontiac-fiero-affordable-forever

Continuing the discussion from The Pontiac Fiero may be affordable forever:
Yuppy. Spot on… . whats not mentioned is that a company called Aldino . has body kits that flips your Fiero to a Ferrari 500… ,. My buddy. Has horded up 30. Complete ferios . 5 are like new some are in nu.ber 2 condition. Along woth 1000s of parts. Alo,g with 2. Complete Aldino cars 1 started Aldino. … Rich is 75 now and. Has the Alido car company 4 sale… And many Fierios.
Anything intrests you. Contact. Charlie at by sending me a message. .,i,just,love those little cars.

www.aldinokit.com

I’m interested in talking with Charlie. Let me know how to contact him please

I am a former Fiero owner and I swapped mine out for a Miata back around 2000, finally letting the Fiero go completely in 2005. I purchased mine second hand when I joined the Navy, and it spent many hours at Auto Hobby either getting scheduled maintenance or because I did something stupid (again). With over 200,000 on the clock when I donated it as a running car to PBS I would call it reliable. My Fiero took me from Connecticut to Florida, back to Connecticut, then to Georgia, and I would drive it on the 600 mile round trip to Disney World every pay day weekend I was in port. Even in its youth the Fiero was a rare sight, so rare in fact that I once lost it in the parking lot at Epcot, when I informed Disney security of my dilemma and what I was driving they simply said “Get in, we know where your car is”. After the Navy my Fiero took me to college, where I took it to Florida to work at Disney World, and then to work after graduation. I had it running well when one night on my way home from work a 17 year old high school kid in a Ford Fiesta used the back of my Fiero to push the front of his car so far back that the engine dented the firewall of his car, instantly totaling it but leaving me in the awkward position of trying to explain to the police that I was in fact driving the Fiero, and that was the car that the Fiesta had hit, I was actually threatened with arrest for swapping the car util I showed the police teh dented in trunk under the car. That accident didn’t kill the Fiero outright, but it caused an electrical problem that would kill the battery quickly, that and with a running Miata in the garage and the Fiero with its electrical problem were left to languish. I do miss the Fiero, I don’t miss having to explain to people how to enter and exit the car without touching the ground with their hands. I admit it, I look now and then and the prices look good but I already lived that dream. As for prices shifting on these cars, remember that the kids that were in High School when the Fiero was a new car are reaching retirement age and don’t have kids to drive around any more, prices might not make a huge jump, but a hot looking low priced little two seater from youth that can fit Two sets of golf clubs, or a weeks worth of groceries, or a packed full sized American Tourister in the trunk and gets 26 MPG may start to look like a more practical option than the more traditional retirement sports cars so prices may wiggle a bit as those kids retire. It will never be a Corvette, but lets face it, it was never meant to be a full on sports car either.

OK, thanks for all the info but the TYPO’S !!
My goodness…

I special ordered a white '84 Fiero with no A/C and an untinted windshield. I loved the car. Four wheel drifts were excellent and I went through the factory set of Firestones in 13k miles. Traded it for a wife, which turned out to be a real good deal, except for the added routine maintenance.

This car was always , well almost always driven by women. It was a gutless mid engine car with no future. Another nail in the coffin of Pontiac. Too bad it aided in the destruction of that once proud make.

I have owned 2 Fieros. Both of them were 88s. The first one, which I should have kept, was a very rare (1 of 7) black GT with tan CLOTH interior, T-Tops, gold honeycomb wheels, 5 speed, with the extremely rare factory subwoofer. For those of you who actually know and understand Fieros, reading this list tells you just how rare the car actually was and why. My step dad purchased the car new in 1988, and the car was truly one of the last ones built. I “inherited” the car after the folks retired in 1994 with only 24,000 on the odom. Other than just a handful of minor mods (like a urethane dogbone and a “gutted” catalytic converter), the car was about as original as it could be when I sold it in 1998 with 93,000 miles on it. I used to go to Fiero shows with it. Yeah, those shows existed, and WELL attended. One local show I took best of show and best in class. At national shows I could never top 3rd in my class because I always lost to folks who trailered their 1,500 mile 88s in on an enclosed trailer, while I had driven mine through ten hours of rain, etc., to attend the show. I drove my car. I actually enjoyed it. These trailer queens, whether Fiero or any other car for that matter, are an abomination, and an insult to, the car. Cars are meant for driving. When I sold that first 88, like I said, it had 93,000 AWESOME fun miles on it. And I never had any trouble with the car. I had to change an alternator once, and aside from regular maintenance, nothing else really had to be done to the car. I averaged about 25 mpg, and on one trip to Texas, I drove approximately 1,500 miles round trip and averaged 30 mpg with cruise control set on 75. Loved that car. Sold it for $8,500, by the way, back then. Later, I bought another 88, but, it was red w/gray interior, hardtop. Never enjoyed it as much as my original black one, and sold it after only a couple of years and 5,000 miles that I had put on it. While the Fiero might never be a highly collectible car, don’t buy it to collect it, buy it to drive. It is fun, fun, fun, and inexpensive to own. Too bad the Corvette division of GM were such sissies, because they are who actually killed the Fiero. The Fiero was going to skip the 1989 model year, redesigning the car slightly, and had a hopped up V-6 ready for the 1990 model year that the engineers knew would actually beat the Corvette in the 1/4 mile, so the whiny boys in the Corvette division convinced GM’s board that it would be a bad idea to put out a sports car for the common working class man that would easily beat the hell out of the elitist’s Corvette…and at half the price, and the 1990 Fiero, and future Fiero’s, were officially killed. Most folks don’t know that, but the handful of us who know the Fiero as well as we do, and who actually knew some of the GM engineers working on it, know the truth. Had the 1990 Fiero been built, beyond the prototype, and made it to market, we might be looking at a 2020 Fiero right now. Who knows.

I’m one of those “Fiero Fans” that hope the Fiero prices NEVER get to collectible levels.
A lot of people put down the Fiero because it wouldn’t go 150 MPH or corner at 1+ G’s.
It was a FUN little car that had only people that truly enjoy driving a car on a daily basis could appreciate. I had many Fieros at different times that I drove to work, a 26 mile trip that had many 90 degree corners and all narrow 2 lane roads. With a change of springs, sway bars and
some wider tires the 4 cylinder, 5 speeds cornered and had the power much like the MGB and delivered at least 30 MPG without the electrical and oil leakage problems.

Standard equipment should have included automatic fire suppression.

Worked with the auto industry during the Fiero days, I was told the biggest issue was a lack of power steering.

Was told that electronic power steering was coming with the next update, that never happened.

Sad to see Pontiac’s demise along with the Fiero.

I always liked the Fiero. Everyone seemed to go crazy over the GT fastback car, but I prefer the standard looking and Formula ones. I almost bought a used White 1988 Formula for $3000.00 from Queen City Pontiac Greenbrook NJ in 1994. The Salesman was such a Prigg quibbling over $100.00. I got mad and walked out. Then instead I went and bought a dog! A Schnauzer. My wife expected me to come home with a car and I come home with a Dog! LOL.

I bought an 84 Fiero. No air conditioning, no extra anything except a sun roof and Tilt Steering. $475. Sank $10,000 into it to make a really good car. New paint, new Formula front, new suspension, rebuilt engine (Iron Duke) traded the 4 speed for a 5 speed. Totally dependable. Took it from Colorado to California several times. Up to 36 mpg. A joy to drive. A friend with a BMW Z3 just barely kept up with me going over the Sierra Nevadas. If it had air, and cruise control, I would probably still have it. I sold it for $2,000 to buy a 2017 Subaru BRZ with the performance package. Another under powered car that is a joy to drive. A slow car driven at the limit is a lot of fun, and less scary, than a fast car driven at its limit. ….and finding a place to drive a fast car at its limit, and dealing with police, ……it ain’t worth it.

My wife has had her Fiero for 30 yrs this year. A few years ago she wanted a different…

So she went with a Norm Vandermee front end. Looks awesome in the pics. Also the air intakes make it more stylish. Mr Mike seat covers, 2008 Cadillac Flash Black paint. Rebuilt motor with 10,000 or less miles on it.
Runs cool in the hottest weather. It’s is a great car, her car my hobby! I wish I had put an LS engine it, but oh well another time.

Hi this is charlie on the Aldinos . you can. Reach me at 414 7955860 . if no answer. Shoot me a text… Best time to call tou back… Thank you

Dead on! Next we will be seeing Pinto Peeps.

If you want a two seat sports car why not get the power to go with it. C3 and C4 (’'74 thru '96) Corvettes are plentiful with low mileage and beautiful condition for $10k and under.

Something to be aware of if you’re thinking of buying one: it was common for the plastic outer panels to spring back into shape after an accident, hiding any damage to the metal inner panels. Back in the day I handled claims on a couple that looked like they had only minor scraping to the exterior that turned out to be totals once the fender and quarter panels were removed.

I own a 1986 Pace Car Fiero, It’s a dog power wise but still turns heads. They are fun to drive.

only has 2000 miles on it.