Hagerty.com

The Pontiac Fiero may be affordable forever

Here I was going to oversimplify and say that ugliness was the reason they’ll be affordable forever.

Make sure to buy a few fire extinguishers, color coordinated!!!

Husband and I went to the dealer when they first came out to see about one. He is 6 ft 4 and folded himself into the seat and then sat up straight, popping the T-top. Never even started the motor; not the car for us!

Hi Charlie! I’m heading out the door and just saw your email. I will text you tomboy and see when you are free. Andy 785-556-1100

I bought my Fiero GT new in 1985 . I drove that car everywhere. At five years ,I calculated the miles driven and it turned out that I averaged 67 miles per day. Loved driving that car. I stopped driving it because of fuel pump problems. After having 5 fuel pumps replaced and no indication when they would quit working and leaving me stranded on the highway I put the car in storage where it remains today.

I ordered my 1985 Fiero GT from the factory - selecting most of the available options (4 speed & V6). For the first 6 months, the cute size and styling turned heads everywhere I drove it. But it’s main purpose was for commuting to work in the salty, pothole ridden, high traffic density metro Detroit area for 14 years. A very harsh environment. During good weather, I drove my 1979 Corvette.

Replaced the Fiero battery once, fuel pumps twice and clutch once. Otherwise, mostly care-free miles. I would have had to replace the entire car 3 times over had it been a Camaro or Mustang. I also bought my sister’s 305 carbureted V8 1986 Trans Am when she got around to selling it - which was never driven in snow. I ran both the Fiero and Trans Am on the same exact day at Lapeer International raceway. The results? Fiero = 15.6 seconds @ 87 mph. Trans Am = 15.7 seconds @ 88 mph. I never took any guff from Mustang GTs of the time either. Not bad for V6 vs. V8. Conclusion: The Fiero’s performance was pretty much the same as it’s contemporaries. And had better fuel economy.

When I sold the car, the body still looked as good as the day that I bought it. Unfortunately the engine cradle, brake and fuel lines had become very rusty. Had it been driven in a less demanding environment that car would still be around today. Attached is a picture of the day that I sold it.

That’s a cheap shot Mike and you know it! Since you brought up this issue by doing so you claim to know so much about the cause and events that led up to the Fiero engine fire issues so please inform the rest of us here who may or may not know all about that in the most accurate details that you can remember. Otherwise tell us what in fact happened instead of throwing out insults to your fellow car owners.

20 year Fiero owner here and still waiting for my Fiero fire!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What cars do find appealing?

Google ‘Fiero engine fires’, hysenberg.

Pontiac recalled OVER 200,000 Fieros due to engine fires. Think Fiero lovers never heard of engine fires?

Cheap shot or simple fact?

And how are facts insulting to Fiero lovers?

Should nothing be said about LADA quality because the Russian LADA club might be ‘insulted’?

True enough. As much as I thought these cars were neat when they first came out, you’d be crazy not to pack a fire extinguisher, even with upgrades to the problem areas.

I bought a used black '84 back in the early '90s and absolutely loved it. It was such a blast to drive, even with the 4-cylinder. Paid $4,000 for it. Had it for about 2-years before the fact that my wife couldn’t drive a stick, despite my best efforts to teach her, got to be problematic when I had to use our other car. Sold it for $1900. If I recall correctly, mine had not yet had the engine replacement. I believe the issue with the engine fires was that oil leaks from the valve cover would run onto the exhaust manifold and start a fire if it leaked bad enough. Why the recall didn’t involve just replacing the valve cover and gasket is a mystery to me. If you inspected the valve cover occasionally it was no problem. Mine never leaked a drop.

I worked for a Pontiac/Buick dealership in the mid-80’s when these were new. Drove quite a few, though I never actually owned one. Obviously, I prefer the more powerful 6 over the 4, but against my typical preference for manuals this was one car I thought worked best as an automatic. With that v6 power and short wheelbase, it was easy to throw these cars around, but I found it much too busy in that small cockpit to be rowing thru gears. I really liked the styling and thought the speakers in the headrest were beyond cool. Too bad they don’t get much love but I think if they were wearing some euro badge they might be more treasured. Suffice it to say the Japanese were starting to make compelling cars in this size, if not mid-engined, and soon the little Pontiac would not keep up. I do wonder what a third generation might have been like. However, the Nissan 300zx was just around the corner and though a little bigger it is much more the sports car than what the Fiero pretended to be.

I have been watching the resale values of American cars for too many years that would reveal my age. But take it from me these cars will go up in value if thy are left in original factory condition. Therefore in my opinion if you can get a super well cared for Fiero for a good bit under $10k - buy and hold. I’m talking about one with less than 50k miles- a cream puff. If you went out and got that super nice Fiero for say $8,000 and kept in collector car condition in the next 10 to 12 years, it could easily be worth north of $20,000 or more, In my opinion it will never go down lower than that $8k original investment. It won’t be the very best used car investment, but for around $8k it might be one of the better investments in the inexpensive collector car market. I agree with Mr. Hagerty that if you even get a really nice one don’t expect to flip it for at least several years. As always don’t sell-out a nice sporty American car before it becomes a real classic. It will take at least 10 more years for that to happen with a Fiero. But it will someday very much become a true collector classic. Three things to watch for … condition, condition and condition as in any collector car investments. Don’t get too worked up about model year differences or other options ect. The very clean really nice ones will always be grouped pretty close together as long as there condition is equal.

I have an 88 GT that I love to drive, The five speed trans is part of the fun… Has never seen snow and only rain if I happen to get caught in it. Original owner and have had no problems. Fun car.

My uncle collects these. I kind of liked them when they came put, and many of my peers wanted one as well.

As far as comparing them between other offerings of that era, the main thing that distinguished it from other cars of similar styles was it’s fiberglass body.

The iron duke 4 engine was designed when it was determined that friction. Was the enemy of all engines. Tires notwithstanding, that engine in that vehicle would run and run and run.

Do I see their value going up? Possibly. Think a out what other cars from that era wouldn’t have body rust issues and get back to us on that…

Let’s see…

The corvette
An older delorean

That’s about all I know. Others care to chime in?

Like so many of GM’s other screw ups, a) The Alliante, b) The Reatta, to name a few, when the bugs were finally worked out of the car, GM decided that the Fiero could not compete against the Toyota MR2 and killed it. I worked with a friend from England that wanted to take back to his country and American sports car. I suggested and he bought the last year Fiero fastback and loved it back in England.

Joe Rybicki
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

200,000 cars didn’t burn down.

Any car enthusiast that is too dumb to discover and fix a valve cover oil leak before it becomes a fire hazard should have their “enthusiast” badge revoked.

I did not say that 200,000 cars burned down, Bobby. I said over 200,000 were recalled. And that recall was due to the Fiero’s renowned fire hazard.

Mike, Bobby was correct to call you out. Short on facts, long on misinformation.

The ‘fire’ issue pertained to ONLY 1984 models. Several issues including manufacturing quality issues effected 5,000 of the 110,000 built. All 5,000 were recalled and corrected. Yes, all 110,000 were recalled (out of an abundance or precaution). These issues did not affect 85-88 models. (There were other recalls for other issues or GM again being overly cautious.)

The final tally: NHTSA recorded 167 fire incidents. GM logged a total of 260. Over it’s entire production run the Fiero’s fire safety record is ABOVE the average of ALL vehicles. I must also mention the Fiero’s 5-star safety rating only exceeded by a Volvo wagon of the time.

Those are facts. Not media spin or misleading information.

Well we know what we like…small never did it for me. I was in only one Fiero back in the mid 80’s when we were still looking for more out of our cars…My 79 Olds Cutlass was 3 times the car a Feiro was but that small pocket rocket was starting to make a name for itself by now…I guess you either liked it or didn’t fit in it and that’s just why this car ended…It should have been based on a larger platform and given some kind of race heritage to promote the benefit of a mid engine car. Time took its toll on any plans of getting the market to except the idea of having the engine behind you in the car, lots of head shaking “NO” to that idea…I know all we need is a few more companies pushing the mid engine design but the only ones doing these platforms were mostly foreign car builders…GM had no reason for even looking at this idea…Now the 2020 Corvette will make its claim for mid engine design and will probably be a bad idea all over again…its just not American!!!1979_oldsmobile_cutlass_supreme-pic-6258349923952577215-1600x1200