Hagerty.com

The Pontiac Fiero may be affordable forever

We owned an 84 and loved it. When we heard that Pontiac was stopping production I ordered an1988 GT and gave it to my wife for our anniversary. We owned it for 12 years. We then gave it to our son which of course was a mistake because he destroyed it one night when he decided to go over a curb and proceeded to put a hole on the side of the manual transmission. Other than the mufflers roting it never give us any problems. We just kept on cutting the exhaust tips off and welding them onto the new mufflers. I tried to buy it back several times but was not successful. A few months ago I found an 88 GT with T tops and I was willing to pay whatever it took to take the car home. The owner had purchased it for his wife new and she wanted nothing to do with selling that beautiful little car. I gave them all my information just in case someday they change their minds.
Go figure Road and track predicted many years ago that this would be a future collectible!

Start to finish… Gets a lot of attention at local shows and cruises.

^Whoa…shouting like that I bet it gets attention. That color is deafening. :sunglasses: :+1:

@Jrevans2002
Can’t imagine a more milk-toast car from that era then a 79 Olds Cutlass. The fact that someone in this world thinks they’re remarkable in any way is…remarkable. YOU might think they were 3 times the car, but havent seen anyone starting a thread about there collectibility lately. And your remarks about an engine being mounted behind the driver as un-American reminds me of what old people said about FWD cars back in the day.
I DO agree that if the Fiero had some sort of race history it would have helped sales back then and today’s collectability. They were a cool car, especially after sorting out the suspension geometry. . Today I only see the occasional one modified for autocross and a small-block swap. Probably because they are so affordable.

Partial facts are what’s insulting to people…but these days partial facts are enough to be considered “the truth” by many. The “fire issue” was limited to the 84-85 models. Like others said, the way you phrase it makes it sound like 200,000 Fieros were recalled due to engine fires. That’s like saying 5 million cars were recalled for Takata air bag failures, when only a handful of cars equipped with them had an issue. See the point?

No, I don’t.

I simply brought attention to the FACT that Fieros had an engine fire problem that resulted in General Motors issuing a RECALL for over 200,000 Fieros. How that is ‘partial fact’ escapes me. The correct number was 244,000 cars and the recall was for ALL Fieros EVER made. Every one. And not just the models your post suggests.
So using your logic I would suggest you review your own claim and explain how your claim is not ‘partial fact’ … or maybe you wished to use the phrase ‘alternative fact’.

And how someone views the term ‘recall’ as evidence that every such car suffered a fire further escapes me!

And would possibly believe that 5 million Takata airbags blew up? Perhaps you believe that a recall is the same thing as an ‘incident’ but it is unlikely a majority readers of of this forum do!

Mike Mike Mike. You said (quoting you): “Pontiac recalled OVER 200,000 Fieros due to engine fires.” No, Mike, they recalled them due to the POTENTIAL of engine fires. See the difference? That’s why everyone is jumping on you. And total production number of Fieros through their run is 370,167, not 244,000 so again…misinformation on your part because, as you claim, not EVERY Fiero made was subject to the recall.

OPINIONS…they are what they are…Like I said…I was only in one Fiero…and I didn’t fit in it, my 79 Olds with a 260 cid Olds engine ( wasn’t called a 4.3 yet) V8, high back bucket seats, rear seat, console shifted automatic ,tilt wheel, trunk and Olds Mag wheels was 3 times the car the Fiero was because of its sizes…not much came out of the late 70’s early 80’s’ till we got past the fuel cost issue and if I see anything from the late 70’s as in a Olds Cutlass, Buick Regal or the Pontiac Grand Prix and Chevy Monte Carlo would still be just a way of remembering what the car I was more accustomed to driving…2 seat cars have that single minded issue if you ask me… its was niche car, for those who wanted to drive something different till the found out how different it really was…I posted a picture of what my Cutlass looked like…its not mine…all the pictures I had of it are on paper…Mine didn’t have tinted windows…now that brings back so memories,…

Keith Keith Keith

My apologies! It was not the Fiero that I was thinking about but the venerable Ford Pinto! Now I remember! My bad! Indeed, if you will google ‘cars that catch fire’ you will note that there are 15 cars with higher chances of catching fire! 15! Ha! Including the Pinto!

I am in! So I am now looking at my local Craigslist (Phoenix) and I have found one for only 2450 bucks! The description begins…

‘Do you want to live life back in the 80s? Do you want to be the coolest person at the trailer park with your mullet flowing and motley crue blasting from your red hot fiero? Whipping around town breaking necks as people can’t believe its not on fire?! Well now is your chance to own a fine piece of history…

Well…he should have said ‘its not on fire but has the potential to be on fire.’ Hope I beat you to the Seller.

Oh, and my apologies in advance to you Pinto owners!

NY Times

‘Jan 24, 1990 · G.M. Plans Recall Of 244,000 Fieros, Citing Fire Hazard. The General Motors Corporation will recall 244,000 four-cylinder Pontiac Fieros -every one ever made - because of a nagging engine-fire problem that contributed to the company’s decision to stop making the Fiero.

Mike that is too funny! And not like the NY Times to ever fact check, either. Now I will say that the wrinkle of “four cylinder” does add an asterisk to the whole thing because I am not sure how many 4 cyl. Fieros were produced. I only had the V6’s ('86 SE and '88 Formula) and neither were subject to the recall.
Oh those CL ads, they are always good for a laugh, too, aren’t they? I think I better go have a word with that seller (just kidding of course).
Anyway, good discussion. Enjoy your day.

The information sent to owners, September 1989.

Thanks for putting this into proper perspective.

One insidious power of the NYT and other fake news is the power to leave out important facts and full context:

Mike, Bobby was correct to call you out. Short on facts, long on misinformation.

The ‘fire’ issue pertained to ONLY 1984 models. Several issues including manufacturing quality issues effected 5,000 of the 110,000 built. All 5,000 were recalled and corrected. Yes, all 110,000 were recalled (out of an abundance or precaution). These issues did not affect 85-88 models. (There were other recalls for other issues or GM again being overly cautious.)

The final tally: NHTSA recorded 167 fire incidents. GM logged a total of 260. Over it’s entire production run the Fiero’s fire safety record is ABOVE the average of ALL vehicles. I must also mention the Fiero’s 5-star safety rating only exceeded by a Volvo wagon of the time.

Those are facts. Not media spin or misleading information Mike,