Hagerty.com

The quest for great, original classics

Over the years I have restored hundreds of automobiles. I love restored cars, but to me, the look, the smell, and the way they drive make unrestored cars special. I’ve made it my mission to find the best ones possible, although it is much harder to find a fine unrestored automobile than one that needs restoration.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/29/carini-quest-for-unrestored

I spent most of my early car days restoring cars to the highest quality I could muster. Now, I’m more focused on drivers, maybe not untouched, but with a few warts. Nice, but not too nice to take out in the rain, or park at the bagel shop.

I sold my 1969 survivor 428 Cobra Jet R code Mach1 when I was laid off in 2007. Hope to get back in the hobby some day.

I can share Wayne s feeling, in the past having regretted selling a 1964.5 may 7 Hipo built on the first day of production,i found in Ca. The Mustang had sat for years in the owners Mothers garage. It was exactly like the day it was day it was built.Thinking I would find others,I sold it.never seen anything like it in the last 20 years.It went to Norway,some lucky person now has it.

I am buying a fleet of nice drivers with little in the way of restoration. All unique, reliable, looking like they did 20, 30 and 40 years ago. But not showroom new. Just nice, reliable quality drivers. Perfection need not apply.

I am fortunate enough to own several restored Vettes, a '57 Bel Air rag top I bought in 1974, a '57 Nomad, and a '68 Camaro RS/SS 396-convertible…however, my favorite car is a '67 RS/SS 396-4 speed Camaro coupe that I purchased last year…original Marina Blue paint with a big dent in the driver door, dings and scratches, surface rust on the vinyl-top roof and trunk lid due to sitting in a leaky garage for the past 30+ years, original exhaust system, and original Muncie shifter. The first owner had diamond inserts sewn into the front seats, as many of us did back in the early 70’s, but the rest of the black interior was close-to-mint original. The second owner, whom I bought it from, insisted the mileage (at 32,000+) was original (per the first owner). The engine has never been apart, and still has the smog pump on it. Although it hadn’t been started during much of it’s long storage, it was apparently started periodically until the fuel tank was empty. When I went to inspect the car, after changing the fuel pump and points it started up with a prime to the carb (we ran a line directly from a small gas can to the fuel pump). Not a whiff of smoke, and it idled perfectly. Even the exhaust system was without leaks, I was amazed. I plan to replace the vinyl top and hope to find a door and trunk lid with original paint, and then drive it as a survivor. I just love the originality of the car!