Hagerty.com

The real reason why the C8 mid-engine Corvette is delayed

Our prior speculation that the next-gen, mid-engine Corvette would bow at this year’s Detroit Auto Show was obviously dead wrong. Nor did the Stingray replacement appear in Geneva, and it’s unlikely to debut at next month’s New York extravaganza. Generally speaking, auto shows are no longer deemed suitable for launching blockbusters because they’re unable to grab and hold the attention of today’s frantic automotive reporters. Plus, the argument goes, a car as big as the Corvette can generate news on its own without the backdrop of a show.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/08/real-reason-for-c8-corvette-delay
1 Like

It will probably get its own stand-alone reveal and event. Maybe at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Just a guess.

Any thoughts on the (or “a”) C8 being the pace car at the Indianapolis 500? They generally do a large reveal in Indianapolis for what make/model/livery the car will be and they’ve been hyping it up more and more over the past few years.
This is probably a long shot, but it would be a way to unveil the car and show it running in front of hundreds of thousands of eager, American motorsport lovers!

Front and rear body styles are very Camaro-like to me!

A bold move away from American muscle … the kiss of death for Corvette.

They need to give the design staff new pencils to come up with a better-looking design.

GM has a chance to enter the international market with something really unique and genuine but alas they will opt for common and boring in design as they always do.

I’m afraid you’re probably correct with your thoughts. GM should have built a mid engined Vette MANY years ago, if that was their goal/intent. At this point they have made the car a world class product, at a bargain price in comparison to their competition, and now decide it needs to be mid engine with an ever higher price of entry. They should have just stuck with what they know and have perfected over the last 66 yrs, and left the mid engines to those who have perfected them. I don’t see Porsche deciding to change the 911 to front or mid engine after all these years. Instead they have continued to address problems/short comings, and evolved it into a better product (smart move).

1 Like

Do I read that right ? A 1000 HP car with 100 computer modules. Some of them no doubt transmitting your speed and location. All it needs is a positive way to identify the driver. Facial recognition cameras, or maybe DNA sensors in the steering wheel. Oh well, maybe if you wear a hoodie and gloves you can have a little fun with your new Corvette before it reports you to the proper authorities.
Or just go out and buy an old hot rod and enjoy yourself. … Gary

A 6.2 liter V8 is a “bold move away from American muscle”?

Just another muscle car headed to a slow death… to take on being a Ferrari replica.

Chevy could have kept the front engine platform. Let me re-phrase that… Chevy “should have” kept the engine in the front.

That said:

I’ll keep my Charger HellCat…and my SRT-10 Viper pickup… and my very old, very Red, very quick Porsche 928.

1 Like

My entire life I’ve tried to get to the point I would lay my money down for a vette. I was hopeful a mid-ship powered version would do it but with a body style worse than the C7 I’m out once again.
Sure body styles not everything or is it? Why pay good $$$ if your not 100 percent in?

I hope too the exhaust note or firing order was changed. In so cal lots of C7 owners have hung multi fart can exhaust on the back of their vettes. When they rip by on the freeway it sounds bad. Real bad. Like a screwed up 6cyl bad. Nails on the chalk board bad.

The Ford GT got it right. 100 percent. They also make you pay for getting it right. Beyond me and my wallet. Well I will just keep standing by for my second choice with hope because they have improved the Camaros body style over the years from its first offering.

1 Like

I’m 70 and Chevy has been threatening a mid engine corvette since I was a teenager. Don’t hold your breath.

It seems to have been dying a slow death for decades…with all the anonymous designs. But placing blame where it is due–with the help of the digital age (CAD) and the dictates of the government.

I’m not digging the new look. They ought to rename this as a new car and keep improving the old style Vettes.

1 Like

I own muscle cars from d 60,70, vette and a viper. I love my vette but I will take a viper over a vette with 100 computer modules any day, plus I love my muscle cars, no computers, carburetor,vacuum advance distributor, no BS and last point… Viper boys were going to go mid engine and said “hell no” Viper is an American muscle car and no self respecting muscle car is a mid engine. Enough said. Another reason to differentiate d Viper from Corvette

I still am asking the same question I have asked since 2009. Why did we waste the taxpayer’s money keeping their worthless company in business?

I have 9 Corvettes (57,57,59,60,62,62,63,67&67) All insured with Hagerty. I’ve had a C5 and a C6, both great cars - can’t wait for the mid engine!

I am not sure I would get in a 1000 HP car built by GM. It is not that I don’t trust the engineers, I just don’t trust the bean counters and what they might do to save $2 on a part to lower production costs and keep the price on target. I understand the reason Enzo Ferrari was so slow to switch to rear/mid engine street cars was that he did not think it good business to kill ones clients. Watching how well “good drivers” do behind the wheel of a 700 HP Hellcat Challenger (a pretty forgiving car), a 1000 HP mid engine Chevy is not a comforting thought.

3 Likes

Love the design, but, It is an enlarged version of what has been coming out of Europe for many years.

1 Like