Hagerty.com

The real reason why the C8 mid-engine Corvette is delayed

Corvette and Cadillac continuously end up near the bottom of the heap in owner’s reliability ratings, and most of the hit lately is centered on electronics. Ask the owners of recent ‘vettes where their radios’ clocks and other display items “went away” and GM says they’re working on it. Having had various electrical issues with my last 3 GM cars and few mechanical, I quite frankly wouldn’t have any trust in taking the new Corvette cross country after delivery. (At least an oil-burning/leaking STS can just bring along a 5qt. jug of oil in the trunk) :wink: Maybe they’ll be best at sitting in a wealthy new owner’s collection with 5 miles on the odometer, eventually being brought to Barrett-Jackson by the kids?

2 Likes

Too bad they can’t put in a mans transmission in it instead of one built for grandma. I will buy one when it has a stick shift in it. It will make them harder for somebody to steal when most people can’t drive a stick.

1 Like

The camo mules look kinda like a first-gen Acura NS-X with boxy scoops glued on the sides.

And the other issues make it seem that the early adapters will be unpaid beta testers. Not a good situation, IMHO.

I have liked the Corvette since I was a kid -some generations of design more than others. With the promise (once again) of a mid-engine Corvette, I am obviously watching with interest, but also dismay. The Corvette, especially of late, has provided world-class performance with a fraction of the price of its competitors. The mid-engine Corvette will continue this, but more closely following their architecture -and the limitations of this layout. My dream is to have a Corvette for weekend getaways, with stunning performance, great style, and room for two with light baggage. The mid-engine, like the Ford GT, Ferrari, R-8, etc. make this a challenge. Nice track cars, a blast to drive, but not something to use to run to the store. If Chevrolet wants to compete in this supercar market, good luck! I think they can be a world-beater, and at a better price point. That said, I hope they continue production in its current layout as an alternative for people like me. A bit more affordable, a bit more space, a better daily driver.

I agree with keithb821, not having a manual in a 'vette is even more absurd than not having them in Ferraris anymore. We continue to make our driver’s cars ever more “automatic”, and overly computer controlled. There is no visceral feel with paddle shifters. It’s not even close to driving with two hands and two feet. Pass!

I like that idea—New Coke, Old Coke, err, New Corvette, Old Corvette !

I will reserve judgement until it is on the street, but it does make sense to make it a separate model that is offered.

And why did “We” save Chysler before that? Same reason.

I don’t trust .9999999 % of Americans with more 120 HP ! It’s a daily demo-derby in any American urban area.

Spot on gfviperman…Chevy’s talented design staff must have all retired in 1967 as there has not been an outstanding Corvette design since the C2 production ended…I give Chevy credit for finally producing the mid-engine that magazine rags have been begging for…but why cap off an outstanding chassis with a bland exterior?..for that slot car look?..no wonder they wrap prototypes to hide their “design morass” on the street…come to think of that… the rear end does look like “more ass” with a warped rubber spoiler as a cherry on top…

I personally don’t chase lap times. I like to drive and be engaged while driving. This move away from 3 pedals and a manual shift lever is a disservice to drivers.

The best solution would be to make the Corvette a brand in its own right. Keep the muscle-themed front-engine C7 and offer the mid-engine car at a somewhat higher price-point but still at a vastly lower price than true exotica like Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

That way, there would be something for both the traditionalists and those who want a mid-engine exotic built on American soil. It would surely drive dealership traffic.

Jonathan

1 Like

I hope, I seriously hope that the mid-engined corvette is called the Zora and they continue with a separate front engined model line called the corvette. The ZR1s and whatnot can continue on in life as the zora but killing off the inexpensive front engined corvette is just a way to move the vette towards its death.

If the point about structural distortion of the space frame is accurate, don’t expect a quick fix. That’s a big problem and correcting it will likely impact many parts of the design and engineering

As a 76 year old retired engineer that has owned 5 Corvettes I am amazed at the lack of objective excitement over the C8 . Appearance is subjective, there may be someone who thinks a Yugo is good looking (I said may) however aerodynamics, government regulations, manufacturing restrictions and cost are not conducive to designing a car everybody loves. I believe that what I have seen to this point will be welcomed by most Corvette lovers. Also when was the last time you saw a front engine F1 car? Offering a conventional front engine alternative is a great idea.

1 Like

Yeah, half a million bucks for a truck V6. Ford got it right, right in their bank account.

There seem to be a lot of haters out there. Probably hated each new addition as they came out over the years. Kudo’s to GM for stretching the envelope and showing what they can do. They are “halo” cars and not meant for the general public for sure. Keep stretching GM, as the old saying goes, lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

I think I will just hang onto my 600 HP "32 Ford Highboy. It is Chevy powered of course but I don’t think I’d need a mid-engined super car. My 2000 pound coupe is a handful as it is! That’s my super car!!

HaHa, next GM will bring out a 4 door Corvette to compete with Fords planned 4 Door Mustang.
Then watch the prices of the classics go through the roof.
I would be afraid to drive 1000 HP Corvette with all those computer controlled devices and I would not favor driving on a highway with one zipping in and out of traffic with their foot to the floor.
Come on automakers get back to the basics in form and function that the public can relate to.

You are in the minority about the Viper. If it is such a great car and if all the muscle car guys want front engine cars, why were the Vipers sales so dismal they killed it ???