Hagerty.com

The songs that prove rock and roll is obsessed with cars

Rock and roll has long been obsessed with the automobile. The two art forms are spiritually linked: the emergence of youth culture with the societal invention of the “teenager” in the 1950s coincided with the freedom celebrated by this new musical genre and realized by the flood of cheap used cars that followed the post-war production boom.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/12/rock-and-roll-loves-cars

I can’t believe you left out " I can’t drive 55" by Sammy Hagar or my favourite " Magic Bus" by The Who!

Or Barracuda by Heart, although maybe not exactly about the car, everyone relates it to my car when they see it.

And no mention of a song that is constantly played on the Oldies stations “Little GTO” by Ronnie and the Daytonas.

Have to include Queen’s “I’m in love with my car”.

Not rock and roll, but what about “My Merry Oldsmobile” by Bill Murray (not THAT Bill Murray) in 1906, “Car Car” by Woodie Guthrie (later Peter, Pail & Mary, followed by Bob Dylan) and my favorite car song “455 Rocket”?

“Crazy About a Mercury” & “Rocket 88”

Anybody but me remember “Beep! Beep!”? “While driving in my Cadillac, much to my surprise, a little Nash Rambler was following me, about one-third my size …”.

I drove my parents crazy with that song, way back in the day …

Teen Angel …. one of the favorites!