Hagerty.com

The stunning new De Tomaso P72 checks all the boxes

There are a lot of good cars out there. Cars that make you smile when you see them, make your heart skip a beat when you drive them down a twisty mountain road in the morning sun, or make you turn your head when you hear the sound of their engine.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/10/stunning-new-de-tomaso-p72-checks-all-boxes

Shaplier than Sophia Loren!

-Jim

OMG! I often fawn over one car design or another, but the P72 is truly exceptional. Perhaps it has something to do with those of us of a certain age who recall the Ferrari P3/4, but I feel this may be the most beautiful sports car I have ever seen. If the NSX looked like this, Acura would have a five year waiting list rather than offering tens of thousands in discounts.

If the article hadn’t mentioned the designer was Jowyn Wong, I would have assumed this was Pininfarina. It’s clear he studied the best of their designs and learned to incorporate what makes a beautiful car transcend time and changing tastes of current trends. What a masterpiece.

Looks a heck of a lot like the Glickenhaus Ferrari P4/5 to me.

Alright…T-TOPS ARE BACK!!!

Awesome design. Right hand steering would be hard for me to get used to, but I won’t have to worry about buying one.

Yes, but the whining of the designers sounds like sour grapes to me. After all design for homage is nothing but refinement anyway. . As for the two, the P72 is a much sexier iteration.

Bravo! What a beautiful design!
Reminds me when I was young and saw my first Ferrari P333 at Luigi Chinetti motors
NART.

Bravo!

No angry food processor design mashups here!

It’s also 14 years newer.

Well you take a 33 sradale.Take off the little triangle grill.Bigger engine.bigger intake’holes’.Here you have it.

The P72 is indeed stunning precisely because it looks nothing like the current crop of supercars, shapely, sensual, feline sleek with attention to detail at every point. As importantly, it draws on the heritage of previous concepts from De Tomaso showing that the new owners of the De Tomaso marque have some sense of the storied history of the company and want to tie its future offerings to its past. Admirable!! Can’t wait to see one up close.