Hagerty.com

The throwout bearing costs $2800... The front bumper? Don’t ask

They say that going to bed early converts into wealth and wisdom, doctors resent the preventive power of apples, and the most expensive car you can buy is a cheap exotic. While I can't comment on the effectiveness of fruit on medical industry professionals or what a healthy sleep schedule looks like, I can convey some mighty fine anecdotes when it comes to owning cheap cars that were never intended to be cheap.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/16/cost-of-fixing-lamborghini-murcielago-front-bumper-throwout-bearing

Ouch ouch and ouch. Painful to read, shocking prices. Thanks for enlightening me. No Lambo in my future!

Makes our Jaguars look like Camrys - and in fact many of the parts for our S3 XJ6 are indeed cheaper than the equivalent Toyota parts! (Well over 300,000 miles on our '79 XJ, BTW, with little beyond normal maintenance on the original drivetrain. Our '66 E-Type coupe is pretty low mileage, but has also been super-reliable since purchase in 1984.)

Please don’t call it a “Murci”.

It’s a Forrest Gumpmobile.

He’s got enough invested in it to call it whatever he wants.

2 Likes

With the money he put into it can he make a profit if he were to sell it? Does the car being in a car movie help increase the value? If not, then just threw his money away. Think it would had been better to buy one that was well maintained. When you see these older super cars in the 60,000-80,000 range or even something like a Ferarri 360, you have to be prepared for the cost of maintenance and the cost of replacement parts. You can’t just go down to the local Pep Boys or Autozone to get parts. Another factor with super cars in the resale world, the car buyers want to see a history of car repairs done at an authorized repair shop as compared to someone who does the work themselves. This is not like working on something like my old Triumph TR4A. Those old British cars are fun to drive too and the cost of maintenance is a lot better on the wallet but again my old car is not going to go 0-60 in 3-5 seconds.

At one point you mentioned Audi, which is another part of the Volkswagen Group. I was in aftermarket repair shop some years ago that had a Countach in for an oil change. (That’s an $1100 bill including the $200 oil filter BTW). What was most interesting was that the part numbers for the rear wheel drive shafts were visible and legible. The shop owner showed them to me and said "If you call the Lambo dealer and give him this part number, they’ll tell you that these shafts are about $1500. Each. But if you call the local VW dealer, give him that same part number, they’ll tell you these shafts are about $150. Each. Bottom line: It pays to know “The Volkswagen Family” of cars…

1 Like

Always lusted after Ferrari and Lambo as a child, never dreamed I could ever afford/own one, but now that I actually can…I find that my common sense side says “Forget it, just buy a Porsche, and spend much less for the car, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc.” Don’t get me wrong, I still love them, but not enough to spend my money on one.

I think you got a great deal … on a parts car. For the $150K or more you could get by dis-membering this one, you could afford a minor collection of fun cars, none of which would be threatening your financial solvency every time you noticed a small leak under them. I think it might have been Jamie Kitman who had written that the most expensive vehicle he had ever owned was a Lamborghini Espada - one that he had gotten for free.

And I assumed his financial solvency is fine. He is car knowledgeable about the can and knew what he was getting into, it’s a cool story

I respect this owner for getting under that beast and wrenching on it. This project would be a Supreme project and I really admire someone who takes on a huge project like that and makes it happen. I especially like that he only has $150k into the project.
I roll like that too and can relate to his tenacity and ingenuity. I’m always into projects that I know little about; but there are a lot of setbacks, but they do come together for me. Lately my projects have been rental renovations, house projects, etc. In 2001 I bought a 328 Ferrari and for many years I loved it I was intimidated by the projects like timing belts Etc. Nowadays there is a lot on line and a lot of great people are willing to steer you in the right direction. I still liked the 328, but I’m looking for a new toy. I drove and loved a Huracan, but because I would prefer a simpler life I may sell the Ferrari and get an older, fully restored Corvette.

I will stick with my c6 2010 beautiful car and damn near as fast

This is why a lot of pricey-when-new (or if restored) cars get the “custom” treatment instead of a restoration. I saw a hot-rdded/custom 1930s Packard at a car show once. Not being a Packard officiando I’d say the thing looked pretty much period correct – except for the obvious independent front suspension and modern 15" Tru Spoke wheels and tires. I commented to a friend that is was a shame to see a true classic with the hot rod treatment. The owner was nearby and heard me, but wasn’t offended. He stated that he considered restoring it, but all he had was really just a decent body shell that needed some rust and extensive wood repair and a frame. The engine and trans was gone, as well as some of the front suspension parts. He started totaling up what he’d need to restore it and quickly decided he’d never be able to do it. So he got an old 60s full size Pontiac and grafted the front clip to the Packard frame and took the custom approach. It turned out really good at about 25-30% of the cost of restoring, plus the time line was greatly reduced over finding all original pieces.

I think I’d just go the custom route on some items in this Lambo. Like maybe a set of Recaro or other aftermarket seats instead of $5K originals. Things that could be changed in the future with just some more cash, not too much work. Unfortunately you’re stuck with things like the expensive side mirrors (aftermarket might do for center…). that’s one thing I don’t like about the integrated into the body mirror designs now. Not like the early 60s where you could use a choice of several aftermarket chrome outside mirrors. Finding those in good condition for a 60s car is tough and a bit pricey now, but not $5K each pricey!!

So now you know what its like to own a small, piston powered airplane. Turbines and jets are orders of magnitude more expensive. But hey, some of them are really fast.

P.S. - Good on you for doing your own work.

1 Like

I thought 3D printers were supposed to solve all these problems of parts scarcity and high cost? :laughing:

Just did my first oil change on my Ferrari 360. I DID save a bunch of labor $$ by doing it myself, however…the TEN quarts of oil were $15 each, the oil filter was $45 plus shipping, and the kicker is that a special tool is required to remove (and later torque down) the filter, and that was $86 plus shipping.
All that being said…it’s worth Every Penny! :smiley:

My wife thought I was nuts for buying an out of production “obsolete” sportbike until she realized I had gotten Lamborghini performance for a tiny fraction of the cost.
Now I have five of them, and am collecting parts while they are still cheap, and making performance mods to make some even faster.

But no, they don’t have the sex appeal of the Lambo…

I have a crisp $100 bet you mean EBR 1190^^^
:innocent:

Thank you for that wonderful trip down memory lane…mine was a 1969 MGC GT, $500 because it had a Buick 231 ci v6 and a Turbo hydramatic 2 speed auto. but the body was tin-worm free. had to get it 50 miles home with a busted tranny. Spent all that tow truck money, serviced the tranny at AAMCO, brakes: omg took baths in girling brake fluid rebuilding all the rubber bits. wire wheels needed no work, so almost lucas free and Stromberg free, i had a ball. Almost 200 percent profit on sale.

But, i have to ask, have you reviewed the Jay Leno interviews on buying old cars? he comes to mind because he nutshells the lambo. "Dean Martin bought the Miura brand new, but when his kid blew it up, a friend who was a schoolteacher at the time bought it, thinking he could fix it.

Leno recalled that because of the prohibitive cost of fixing the car, the schoolteacher’s wife suggested that her husband “just give it to Leno, he likes cars.”

So Leno did take it, fixed it up, and it’s now one of his favorite cars."

Leno went on to explain, back then, nobody fixed up a broken car. like the poor schoolteacher found (and you) the cost was prohibitive, so these old wrecks went to clunkerville heights aka junkyard. even the underwater lotus (lotii?) from the james bond film were abandoned in the Bahamas.

and then the late 80’s beanie baby collecting sickness started. the companion article to this about the wrecked miura in the alps (i mean dumped off a mountain wrecked ) brought several vultures postings asking, wondering, where it was…$$$ signs in eyes.

who, pray tell, are going to buy your junkyards collection? If i want a Lambo mucilage, i want it provenanced to the receipt for every tank of gas purchased, every service, every mile driven, every part replaced with genuine lambo parts. then i’ll pay market rates. But a restored crip that should have been left as a hulk sold for parts, ain’t no way i’m touching it, period.

And all these rusty barn finds are somehow getting a nice enough coat of lipstick on their pigskins and showing up competing dollar for dollar with real museum pieces. Buyer beware!!! (the saving grace is these lunkheads can’t resist youtubing how they bought a basket of parts for $5 and sold a like new Ferrari F40 out of it for 1.5 mill.)

Museum pieces…that’s all one has. don’t dare drive em, they were rebuilt, with the same non-existent reliability they had when they were new. you don’t dare invite somebody to your house for fear they are casing the joint. Someday when your wife has left you because of the metallic excretia in your yard, your kids can’t afford community college, and you’ve run out of your parents inheritance, you ourter look into the accumulation of money; not faded dreams you couldn’t afford when new, can’t afford to fix correctly now, and which will be simply worthless, because everybody else is hoarding the same damn things.

Leno was a millionaire. Now he whores his garage on tv for money, and all i ever see is alot of talk and one shot of him driving in an old clunker with the wind blowing through his hair, after the Chips guys were called in to clear a 1 mile stretch of road from all the LA traffic so he could pose in his cool car driving instead of creeping 5mph in bumper to bumper traffic.

Don’t drink the cool-aid, kid.