Hagerty.com

The truth behind Shelby’s 1964 “secret weapon” Cobra Daytona Coupe

Like the gnarled reflections in the polished aluminum skin of this faithful recreation of the legendary race car, the tale of Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, chassis number CSX2286, became distorted over the last 55 years.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/08/shelbys-1964-cobra-daytona-coupe

What does anyone know about Cobra “Dragon Snakes”? There was one in Tulsa in the mid-1970’s being restored…but I never knew much about the car. Is this a real machine?

6 Webers, I only see 4! Now if it was a V-12?

edwforrest, you are correct, there were some Cobra Dragon Snakes built in the 60’s. In Hot Rod Magazine from May 2015, there is an article about a Dragon Snake. It is about chassis CSX2427. It had a Phase III treatment with 4 two bbl Webers on a 289. It was WICKED! It could run low to mid 12 sec ETs over the quarter mile! CSX2427 was also the only factory Shelby American Stage III Dragonsnake to be sold to the public not as a Shelby backed racer. Do some research! Shelbys are cool.

Found my 1969 Shelby GT350 Fastback parked next to a Hillbank built Ford GT 40 at a car show a few months ago here in the Phoenix area. The car had a modified Ford 289 block fed by four Weber Carburators and a custom built “bundle of snakes” exhaust system.
Like the car in this article it was strictly “bare bones” inside and probably required a light foot on
the gas peddle. The workmanship and welding, however, were first rate.
Best of all, at the end of the day both of our cars won awards in our respective classes!